PDA

View Full Version : Pool holiday in New York: where to go?

raistlin
03-03-2004, 06:30 AM
Howdy all,

Myself and my wife are heading over to NY in April for a week of sightseeing and shooting pool. Since I know a bunch of New Yorkers post on this site, can I ask your help?

We have got ourselves a hotel near Amsterdam Billiards, so we will play a bit there. Are there any other places to consider going to? Any tournaments that run during the week (9 ball or straght pool would be nice!)?

We are both pretty much 'C' players (run a rack of 9 ball occasionally), does anyone fancy a few racks sometime? Not really after action, just to hook up with other people who love the game as much as we do.....

pro9dg
03-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Hello DQ
Corner Billiards is the place to go. It sounds like the place that you are looking for. It is in Greenwich Village and The St Marks Hotel is just around the corner. It is very reasonable and there are plenty of other places of entertainment nearby. Arthur, the resident tournament manager at the club, usually has something going on most nights but they are a friendly crowd any way.
You can catch a bus or the subway straight up to Amsterdam Billiards if you fancy a change. I am sure that Jude will make you welcome there and you might see Tony Robles who coaches there. Over in Queens at The Masters, you might bump into the top players like Ginky and Frankie Hernandez but they take competition very seriously over there and sharks bask! Hope that you enjoy your visit.
Doug

pro9dg
03-03-2004, 08:26 AM
Hello DQ
Corner Billiards is the place to go. It sounds like the place that you are looking for. It is in Greenwich Village and The St Marks Hotel is just around the corner. It is very reasonable and there are plenty of other places of entertainment nearby. Arthur, the resident tournament manager at the club, usually has something going on most nights but they are a friendly crowd any way.
You can catch a bus or the subway straight up to Amsterdam Billiards if you fancy a change. I am sure that Jude will make you welcome there and you might see Tony Robles who coaches there. Over in Queens at The Masters, you might bump into the top players like Ginky and Frankie Hernandez but they take competition very seriously over there and sharks bask! Hope that you enjoy your visit.
Doug

Chris Cass
03-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi,

Doesn't Fran, Carol, Wendy and nAz play at Amsterdam Billiards? Oh, and Steve Lipsky? I sure envey you. NY is the best place to get to see how to play great pool.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SteveFromNY
03-05-2004, 06:36 AM
After 6pm, be prepared to wait about 45 minutes at corners though. I play in the 9ball league there and love the place but the wait is sometimes almost unbearable, especially if you're not a league member waiting for a practice table. If you happen to be in Queens, check our racks, its a new poolhall with a good number of tables. HAVE FUN! Tony Robles and Danny Barouty both play straight at corners and Flaco just won 1 pocket league last nite. Needless to say, I try not to ever miss any of their games. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric.
03-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Just a couple of tips that might help:

Use a cab to whereever you're going. If you're not familiar with NYC, you'll be lost/overwhelmed real quick. It's easier to just give the cabbie an address, he knows the way. Give him the address in terms of an intersection such as- 4th AVENUE and 11th STREET. Specify avenue and street because it can be a world of difference.

Get a NYC map.

Jot down the addresses and phone numbers of where you're going and keep it handy(including your hotel).

Keep a business card for a car service handy, just in case. Ask the hotel concierge.

Don't bother with the subway unless you're looking for the 'NY experience'. It has nothing to do with safety or cleanliness, it's just that if you're not familiar, again you will be lost.

Eric >also known as Julie, Cruise Director