PDA

View Full Version : Burn it right in there!

MaineEAck
04-24-2002, 12:11 PM
My Dad is bringing me home 2 letter stamps that are made out of metal(J and L) and I think i will heat them up and put JL on my sneaky petes... do you guys think that will look alright? I will take some pics and show you tomorrow! Is this how Tim Scruggs does it?

SpiderMan
04-24-2002, 12:53 PM
Sounds like it could work, if you can get the result straight enough to look
good. Probably you should clamp them together and do both letters at
once so that they will at least be perfectly in line with one another.

I'd try it on some scraps of wood first, that way you'll know how it looks
before putting it on a cue. You could over-coat it with clear to keep the
"char" from rubbing off. Or you could even back-fill the lettering with
paint from a very small brush.

Does your dad know you plan to heat them hot enough to burn wood?
After being heated red-hot, they will possibly lose much of their temper
and become too soft for return to metalworking.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MaineEAck:</font><hr> My Dad is bringing me home 2 letter stamps that are made out of metal(J and L) and I think i will heat them up and put JL on my sneaky petes... do you guys think that will look alright? I will take some pics and show you tomorrow! Is this how Tim Scruggs does it? <hr></blockquote>

MaineEAck
04-24-2002, 12:58 PM
k, I will try it on some junk wood first... I will try everything you mentioned and see what looks best... Thanks for the advice... my dads work has a whole room full of stuff that is too dull, or no longer in use... the letters are coming from there, So no worries about what will happen to them!

Rich R.
04-24-2002, 02:30 PM
Jordan, the TS on Timmy's cues are much more elaborate than just burning them in. I'm not a cue maker and don't know exactly how it is done, but the TS "appears" to be inlaid right into the butt cap. I don't know if they are made that way for Timmy or if he does them himself, but they are very classy and very professional looking. Rich R.

Cueless Joey
04-24-2002, 02:56 PM
Laser etched initials on Delrin butt caps look classy.

Chris Cass
04-25-2002, 04:13 AM
Hi Jordan,

You could alway's use a symbol that stands for your work. Inlay looks cool and so does the Laser. What ever you decide to do, it should be fun to experiment. The time my cue was made I asked Jerry Franklin to personally sign my cue. He wouldn't at the time, but told me he was looking into doing something like that in the future. He said his cues were very recognizable by the pin and inside the butt plate.

JAT,

C.C.