PDA

View Full Version : Internet Problem

Candyman
03-03-2004, 01:41 PM
For the last few weeks I have been experiencing a problem that is getting on my last nerve. When I enter the Internet Explorer Key to bring up my homepage, very often it has been replaced with a page entitled "Find anything you need". I have gone into "internet options" and replaced it many times, but it still comes up. I have tried to delete cookies, deleted history and even deleted files with no success. Occasionally, I will get a warning that I have a "mhtmlredir.exploit" virus, but I have scanned the computer with Norton and everything checks out. I searched the C drive and files for same and nothing showed there either. This problem is annoying more than anything else. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lock

Rod
03-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Your home page has been hijacked. Do you run Spybot or adaware? If not there very useful for helping to avoid such situations and help clean up the puter. I think CW Shredder will solve your problem. This is a direct d/l of the simple easy to use program.
web page (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip)

This is the link to their website. Merijn (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html)

If not go to House Call (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp) and do a scan. It will fix a lot of trojans, virus etc but I'd try the other first because it was designed for such problems.

BTW The AVG anti virus is free plus it works very well. You can also set it to update every day. They do update very regular with so many virus and the like.

Rod

eg8r
03-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Here is the link (http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/mhtmlredir.exploit.html) to the Symantec site. Does not look like there is much for you to do about it right now.

This is a pretty decent web site (http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm#hijackings) to browse around also (no mention of your problem but some helpful ideas).

eg8r

Iowashark
03-03-2004, 03:07 PM
I have an internet problem as well...it's called dial-up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cueless Joey
03-03-2004, 05:02 PM
I have one too.
I can't stay away from it.
Joey~Wondering if there's internet in heaven, uncensored~

Candyman
03-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Thanks a bunch to everyone! I ran cw shredder. I will let you know if this works. Thanks again, Lock

heater451
03-03-2004, 06:12 PM
If CWShredder doesn't work completely, you might also search the web for another executable. The last person that I had to help with a trojan, the first one that I found wouldn't work for some reason. I downloaded from another source (sorry, don't remember exactly where), and that one worked.

Another tool that's good to have for troubleshooting, is HiJackThis!, a.k.a. HJT, if you see the abbreviation on a tech-help forum somewhere. And, while HJT isn't a 'cleaner', like Norton, Ad-Aware, or Spybot S&D, it will spit out a list of suspect processes and such on your computer. It's also not meant to be a "maintenance" tool because of that. It's very useful, in conjunction with CWShredder, as you may find exe's with nonsense names, like Or7yRXv.exe<---made this up, but they will be similar.

Lastly, from the list HUT exports, you want to research anything that is questionable, because HJT will allow you to delete things better left alone, as it does a thorough scan, and doesn't discriminate on what is put on the list. Usually, people on the tech sites will have someone run the app and then post the exported log on a forum. Then the helping person will suggest which processes to remove.

Oh, and in regards to Ad-Aware and Spybot--these run reference files, which you will want to update, and are good at taking care of 'documented' web-page hijackers, BHOs, and other, browser-related spyware.

~~too lazy right now, to find a link for HJT. Just Google it. . . .
========================

BeanDiesel
03-03-2004, 07:58 PM
i strongly recommend lavasoft ad-aware. it's free i believe.

Ralph S.
03-03-2004, 08:34 PM
I have had this problem. I am very experienced now, unfortunately. You will need to get some kind of spyware removal program. I got the "Spy Hunter" for $29.95. Get it by doing a google search for spyware. Once you have bought and installed, do a scan. Once scan is complete, do a removal. After the removal, should get it back, if not, do a system restore and you will be good to go.

Once you get back up, be very careful what you open as far as web links go. Cetain links contain the spy [censored] causing the problem. Hope this helps. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BeanDiesel
03-03-2004, 09:24 PM
After you're done cleaning up ur system using spyware remover, i'd suggest you to use good popup blocker like google toolbar, or yahoo toolbar, or just swtich from IE to mozilla. that will reduce the chance of getting more spyware.

Candyman
03-04-2004, 09:51 AM
I have tried ad-ware and cw shredder with no success. I will give spy hunter a chance. Thanks to everyone again. Lock

Candyman
03-04-2004, 12:08 PM
I have tried this with no success. Thanks, Lock

Ralph S.
03-04-2004, 12:42 PM
What kind of computer do you have? Sounds like you may need to get ahold of tech support and have them walk you through some diagnostic tests. I actually had to do this myself at first.

Rod
03-04-2004, 12:56 PM
lock, post you problem here. Virus and Security (http://reviews.cnet.com/5204-6132-0.html?forumID=32&start=0)

It's a great group of people that deal with these type of problems.

Rod

BeanDiesel
03-04-2004, 01:35 PM
u know what, i run ad-aware on my roomate's computer. i found more than 500 crap. i deleted them all. i manage to reduce the problem, but not entirely clean up my system. well, if your problem is not too severe, you can rely on most ad-removal software. otherwise, you might want to consider clean installation.
one more thing, if you use kazaa, you'll have to remove it too.

Candyman
03-06-2004, 06:58 PM
The problem has been taken care of. I installed PestPatrol and found 676 pest hits. Most were low risk, but some were moderate and high. I quarantined them all and the problem seems to be gone.

I made a big deal out of this problem and the answer was simple. I wrote an e-mail to the web page people and they sent me a removal address. This came after I had run PestPatrol. I am still glad I did it that way. My pop-up ads have almost stopped. Lock