PDA

View Full Version : Madison Bob Custom Cues - Review

woody_968
03-03-2004, 03:14 PM
http://www.madisonbobs.com

With so many cue makers out there that are some what unknown I thought I would post about Bobs cues incase one of you happen to get the opportunity to own one.

Bob is a cue maker out of Madison IN. I know a few people around my town that were playing with them, I tried one and liked the hit so I purchased a used hustler a few months ago. I was happy with the cue so went to Madison to pick up a cue one of Bobs friends had on the internet. Absolutly beatifull piece of artwork!

After I got the cue my new friend took me to Bobs cue shop so I could meet him and see what he does. I spent a few hours out in the shop with Bob and his son, they make all their cues themselves in a small shop outside there house. A typical shop compared to other pictures I have seen on the internet, small, somewhat cluttered, with cues hanging from the ceiling that simply made me drewl.

They were very friendly and answered all my questions. I plan on saving some money so I can work with them to do a custom design just for me. I am also considering having one made with an inscription for my wife (we will have been married 15 years next year) Bob gave me the idea.

As far as the cues go no only are they some of the best work I have ever seen, they play better than anything I have ever had the chance to play with! The hit is firm, but not like holding onto a log. He is more than happy to do any tweaking that you may want in a cue and his prices are very reasonable.

If you are in the market for a custom cue you would be doing yourself a favor by contacting him. I can tell you from my experience his "hustler" cues hit just like his high end cues do, so if your just looking for a good solid playing cue you cant go wrong with one of his entry level cues.

P.S. I have no ties with Bob and am not getting paid to say this /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dr_billiards
03-05-2004, 04:30 AM
Woody,
Glad that you like the cue! Bob has finished my Meucci Oldie 1 conversion cue, and has started on 2 more cues for me. He is getting quite a backlog, and is going to be in 3rd edition of the Blue Book. So you guys better order soon if you want one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

woody_968
03-06-2004, 09:18 AM
LOL, I was wondering if that was you! How did the Meucci come out? I figured he would have finished it by now since you got him started on the wrap ROFL!

dr_billiards
03-06-2004, 10:57 AM
The cue came out perfect. I'm almost afraid to play with it, seems like everytime I get a cue those damn metal corners on Valley Bar boxes get me everytime. I'll play with it tonight and let you know how it hits. Probably solid as hell, as all of his cues do.
Cya,
Scott

dr_billiards
03-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Woody, Here are some scans of the Meucci cue that I had converted into a jam up playing machine.For those that don't know the story behind this, I'll go into details. Custom cue maker Madison Bob Griffin, who lives close to me in Madison, Indiana, has been a close friend of mine for around 20 yrs. or so. I have played with many of the cues that Bob has made, and let me tell you folks, IMHO they hit better than ANY Southwest or Harris cues that I have owned. And yes I have owned quite a few of these, Franklin's and Kersenbrocks included. I bought a Meucci oldie 1 series cue off of eBay a few weeks back, and talked Bob into doing a conversion on it for me, so it would look like a Meucci, and play like one of his awesome playing cues.
Here is what he did to the cue after he stripped it down.( Well to get him started on it, I actually cut and removed the coated wrap myself, in hopes that he would put it at the top of his now long waiting list /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif)
(1)Stainless Radial Pin
(2)White w/ green speck wrap
(3)Phenolic Buttplate w/ set screw rubber bumper
(4)His awesome refinish, made points leap out with color!
(5)2 new Shafts of his taper with matching silver rings. Both 13mm, one with Triangle tip ( My choice of tip for last 15 years ) and one with a Moori Quick tip.
(6)I had him sign it Griffin Conversion 1/1 by my request
My scanning ability sucks, but here are some scans of the cue, you would have to see it in person to see how it really looks. It is Stunning!!!
web page (http://users.adelphia.net/~manager102/gc1.jpg)
web page (http://users.adelphia.net/~manager102/gc2.jpg)
web page (http://users.adelphia.net/~manager102/gc3.jpg)
web page (http://users.adelphia.net/~manager102/gc4.jpg)

woody_968
03-06-2004, 02:41 PM
The cue looks great! Let me know how it hits and Ill pass the info on to some locals. I know one guy that is working on getting a Titelist cue to have someone (probably Bob as I told him about the ones I saw when I was there) do a conversion on it.

dr_billiards
03-07-2004, 02:49 AM
Woody,
The cue just plays outstanding. Cue ball moves around the table with out any work at all. If I keep playing with this, my stroke will all but vanish. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It is an honor to be a close friend to a man that can make this kind of playing cue.

Jimmy B
03-07-2004, 03:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_billiards:</font><hr> is going to be in 3rd edition of the Blue Book. So you guys better order soon if you want one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Him and 100 other hacks, if you really believe that a name in the new bluebook is going to sell cues I think you're nuts. Sure it will bring attention to some people we may not have ever heard of, but there will be about 50 of those people in the book and believe me not one of them is going to write bad things about their cues. the book is an advertisement and they let the cue makers write their own ad. I'm not saying this guy is a hack (I've never heard of him) all I'm saying is the book doesn't have any restrictions or people researching what info will be in it, that means you can be sure to see hacks listed right next to masters and both will have the same good write ups. It's all subjective anyway I guess, good luck with your cue searches everyone, it's about to get harder ;-) JB

dr_billiards
03-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Jimmy B
[ QUOTE ]
Him and 100 other hacks, if you really believe that a name in the new bluebook is going to sell cues I think you're nuts. Sure it will bring attention to some people we may not have ever heard of, but there will be about 50 of those people in the book and believe me not one of them is going to write bad things about their cues.<hr /></blockquote>
Well believe me Bob's Not a Hack as you put it.And no I'm not a nut. I was simply trying to advertise the man's cues, it's a good thing to have the blue book to get his name out and about, maybe will sell some cues to those of you that have never heard of him. I wish you could get to play with one of his cues before you had any negetive comments to say tho.I have played with his cues, and yes after owning more that 300+ cues in my playing career, I would still have to say that his cues hit as good or better than most of those big name masters you mentioned. If there was a listing of Bartenders in " The Bartender's Handbook " I wouldn't say anything about anyone until I have tried their drinks, but it would let me know that you were out there, and a little about yourself.Dunno just my opinion, and everyone's got one just like everyone's got an @ssWhole /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Popcorn
03-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Didn't you say some time back you were some how involved with the blue book? You were defending it and now you knock it, which is it? When is it comming out by the way?

Jimmy B
03-09-2004, 05:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_billiards:</font><hr> I have played with his cues, and yes after owning more that 300+ cues in my playing career, I would still have to say that his cues hit as good or better than most of those big name masters you mentioned.

<hr /></blockquote>

I wasn't trying to bash the man or his cues, just pointing out that there will also be a bunch of other guys (some of whom may be hacks) in the book and as long as they get to do there own write ups I am sure they will all sound great. So to think it will increase business may be optimistic. As far as the BB3 I hear now that it may be out in Sept. but can't say for sure. And yes I was a part of it in a small way and I don't think I defended it and I don't think I'm bashing it now (I don't see a reason to do either yet) it has it's good points and bad points. IMO it will be more of an add book then a bluebook, but time will tell and let's wait to see a finished product before we judge it. JB