PDA

View Full Version : How about Give & take on double hits

Vagabond
03-04-2004, 06:05 AM
Howdy folks,
starting a new thread on duble hits but on a different aspect.It is very difficult to resolve this issue with stisfaction to all the paties involved.A friend of mine,Ex roady,tells his opponent that he will not call foul on him and the opponent will not call foul on him in a situation that is likely to cause conflict .So they do not have to argue with each other and finally end the arguement in the parking lot with blood on the hood of the car.I like my friend`s approach.
when Mr. Allen Hopkins was the president of the now defunct Mens professional billiards association,wrote a rules book
(? 1992-1993)and it appears that he may be the one who promotted this rule of making it a legal hit on frozen cue and object balls.I do not mind to be corrected on the history of the evalution of this rule on frozen balls.cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
03-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Vag,

"Very Difficult"? please define. Are you just limiting this to "matching up" games and contestants?

Double hitting the cue ball is a foul. Granted, it is more difficult to tell if it has been double hit when the OB and CB are very close. But, by the rules published by the majority of the organizations, the rule can be explained in player's terms that can be understood.

The problem that I see is with the players that know how to take advantage of this situation (close OB and CB). If this situatioin comes up and there isn't a ref or TD making the call, "the call goes to the shooter".

If you're referring to 'matching up' and the two players agree to not make the 'call' and eliminate the chance of an agrument, by all means, I agree.

But in a tournament, NO. Either get someone to make the call or 'accept' the shooter's result.

Allen Hopkins may have had something to do with this rule, but the BCA posted a special addendum to the rules with a drawing of the two balls with a piece of chalk between them and explain the 'push/double hit' rule. The time frame was about right IIRC.

I've had to make this call in tournaments and it has been my experience that the explaination has been 'accepted' by all concerned. For the newcomer to the rule, it may be difficult to understand at first, but there are ways to make the explaintion more easily understood.

woody_968
03-04-2004, 06:44 PM
When I was running tournaments I thought the bca rules made it very easy to call. The only problems that really came up were with people that had not read the rules. Once explained and they new how to approach the shot it was not a problem.