PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted by ccboard_admin

03-04-2004, 11:01 AM

Tom_In_Cincy
03-04-2004, 11:09 AM
I'm sure Fred has already addressed this issue.

BTW Fred is now a contributing author to InsidePOOL. Check out last months Cue story by Fred.

I got some ink time with IP also.. western region coverage article in Feb's issue.

Keith's articles are the best.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-04-2004, 11:11 AM
My fave is Keith McCready's column. That's worth the price of the mag itself.

If you look closely at that issue you will see two long-time CCBers contributing this month.

03-04-2004, 11:29 AM

9 Ball Girl
03-04-2004, 11:36 AM
And....I love the regional tour coverage.

Ralph S.
03-04-2004, 12:25 PM
Ditto that abou Keith McCready's article. It is definitely my favorite from the instructional portion of the mag.

pooltchr
03-04-2004, 01:11 PM
It's also refreshing to read about the players I am more likely to find myself facing across the table rather than just the same pro's over and over.
Steve ---IP subscriber since the first issue

BeanDiesel
03-04-2004, 11:49 PM
What did Allison say about ACCELERATING THROUGH THE BALL?

Bob_Jewett
03-05-2004, 06:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> And last but not least, Allison Fisher talks about 'ACCELERATING THROUGH THE BALL'. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Oh my Fred, I guess you had better fire off an 'official' email to her to let her know this is not true LOL. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not Fred, but....

Most people who either never had or don't remember basic physics have no idea about the differences between speed, velocity, acceleration, force, and a whole bunch of other technical terms. Maybe it's useful to point out to them the correct uses of the terms. Sometimes it makes them think more clearly.

You will hit the cue ball with the highest and amazingly also the most consistent speed if contact occurs just as the acceleration ends. That is also the time (by the very definition of acceleration) that the stick speed is largest.

If you are still accelerating significantly at the moment of impact, your speed control will be worse. Same if you are decellerating significantly.

You can argue that it is better to tell beginners to extend their acceleration to keep them from starting to stop the stick before it hits the ball, and maybe that is effective for some students, but my general philosophy is to tell them the truth, whenever possible.

(I haven't read the article yet.)

Fred Agnir
03-07-2004, 06:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> And last but not least, Allison Fisher talks about 'ACCELERATING THROUGH THE BALL'. Oh my Fred, I guess you had better fire off an 'official' email to her to let her know this is not true LOL.
<hr /></blockquote>I like Allison too much. But, if I didn't, I might ask her to define acceleration. Then we'd start a nice conversation.

That being said, I'll ask you to define acceleration.

Fred &lt;~~~ only looks at the pictures in InsidePool