PDA

View Full Version : Design Phase on The Pool League Director

Mr Ingrate
03-04-2004, 11:15 AM
I'm working on the design of my next software product, The Pool League Director, and would appreciate any and all comments and suggestions that I can get.

Thanks in advance.

SpiderMan
03-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Dave,

Can you give us a brief outline of what the basic goals are? To aid a league director in maintaining his records?

If so, the handicap calculator should be an almost-infinitely customizable module, separate from the main package. There are as many handicap systems as there are leagues.

SpiderMan

SPetty
03-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Is it also for keeping player stats and team stats and such? I really like new "Team History" stat sheet shown here:

A Team History Report (http://www.boi-swel.org/DatabaseBilliards_reports/team_history_report.asp?2246-802-5810=dam20ncmic&Div_ID=68&Team_ID=711)

It shows a lot of information in a compact space.

wolfdancer
03-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Dave, perhaps you can tweak your software to address some of the problems that I encountered, when I decided to run one last tournament , before I left Ca.?
I picked a 3 day holiday weekend, and that's when my problems began.
There were some 7th Day Adventists, that could not play on sat; some members of the Jewish faith that wouldn't play on sun; and followers of the Nation of Islam, that refused to play on the MLK mon holiday..
Also, I think with some additional modifications, the software could be used to save $$$ for the CCB'rs in the upcoming Valley Forge tournament.
Couldn't believe the posted prices for rooms in the area. It was just a few years ago, when the economy there depended on selling Goat Milk Fudge to the tourists, and you could get a room for around $10, although,without TV or even electricity.
Anyway, when I was in the Navy, on Submarines; we always had more crew than beds, so we "hotbunked". We slept in an unoccupied bunk, while the other guy was on watch, or in this case...playing pool...see, instead of table assignments....bed assignments!! It can all be reduced to binary form....X's and O's....I know you can do it!!
OK, it might get just a little crowded at night...but I understand in Europe, it's mot uncommon to sleep 2 or 3 in a bed. Instead of say 20 rooms...now we only need 5

Mr Ingrate
03-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Spiderman,

I'm putting together a package for league operators to simplify their administration.

1. Create balanced home and away schedules. I think the max for any league/division should be around 40 teams. With a weekly schedule that gobbles up a lot of the year.

2. Create a player and venue database which can be common to multiple leagues and divisions. I think it is common for a player to be in more than one league within the league operator's system. Open teams and scotch doubles teams come to mind along with an 8-ball league and a 9-ball league run by the same operator.

3. Track payments and memberships.

4. Track stats and handicaps.

Regarding your questions about handicapping, I know there are a lot of different ones. I'm not sure exactly what the APA and TAP have for their league operators, but I think they must have software available for them. I know BCA used to have some kind of software (I do have a copy) and don't know about VNEA leagues. There are many local leagues that have their own schemes. Most seem to be developed using Excel spreadsheets. In any case, I wouldn't be able to duplicate the ones that are confidential and proprietary. I would really appreciates descriptions of handicap systems that you and anyone else is aware of so I can incorporate it into the package.

Mr Ingrate
03-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Susan,

That's a real interesting stat sheet since it shows a concise history against the other teams. I'll keep a copy with me and refer to it often.

I'm interested in various stats kept by leagues. Some keep break&runs separate from runouts (didn't break but ran out first time at table). I haven't seen anyone keep the "perfect score" before. I assume that means you played X matches in the evening and won them all?

I plan on offereing a number of fields that can be used for tracking these kind of things. I also like the idea of showing "runouts" against.

Any information on the type of statistics is greatly appreciated.

Mr Ingrate
03-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Jack,

You could always run an "Aryan Brotherhood" tournament, in which case the only day you would have to watch out for is Hitler's birthday. Since it isn't on any calendar it may not be a problem. You probably won't have Jews, Muslims, or Seventh Day Adventists attending.

Now as to your accomodation problem. Why not just put an air matress on top and under each of the tables at Valley Forge? They probably have a couple of hundred tables so you could bed down 400 people at least. REAL men wouldn't need air matresses.

Jack, please PM me with your new address. I got something I've been meaning to send you and I feel bad I haven't done it yet.

SpiderMan
03-06-2004, 08:20 PM
I don't think I'd try to pre-replicate a bunch of handicap systems already out there. I'd just give your software the flexibility to add handicapping, either by some sort of menu-based or GUI interface for the operator to enter his formula, or by a plug-in "handicap module" you would supply to his specs.

SpiderMan