PDA

View Full Version : Whacky "urben legends" about 8 ball

bigalerickson
03-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Okay, I played 8 ball more last night than I have in the last three years (albeit a year and a half i was riding the rail) and I heard some of the most amazing rules that almost contradict essential billiards rules. Here are some of the highlights, I am curious as to how/why these got started because all parties disagreed with me until I showed them a rule book for 8 ball.
ok here we go,

1. Balls should be racked solid/stripe/solid/stripe w/out different balls on the wings.

2. After scratching, you have bih in the kitchen, if all your object balls are behind the kitchen, including the 8, you must first exit the kitchen and then return to it.

3. "Scooping" is a legal way to shoot a jump shot.

4. You are allowed to use your opponents set of balls as your object ball as long as you "call for it"

5. If the 8 ball pots on the break, YOU WIN! (maybe a bar rool?!?)

6. If you scratch on the 8 ball you lose.

7. If you accidentally pot the 8 ball before you are cleared to, you lose.

And lets not forget my personal favorite #8 - Not hitting any of your set does not give your opponent bih. this was wonderful when my opponent did not have a shot and decided that instead of shooting at any of his balls he would freeze two of my balls onto the rail. (Its amazing how upset a guy will get over a dollar a rack 8 ball match).

Lastly, does anyone know of a small (read fits in a cue case wtih good size pockets) book of billiards rules that I could keep with me for times like these??

Alright, enough moaning and groaning, thanks for your thoughts on the urben legends of 8 ball. and look out for tomorrow's post "What to do with people who love to play games on the pool table without cues!"
Serisously, these two idiots last night wanted to show us all this "REALLY COOL" game where each person has their own ball and you roll your ball (roll meaning with your hand!, but quickly becomes more like throw) into someone elses knocking them off the table. ok, sorry these things just get to me sometimes.

Peace,

Alex

Cueless Joey
03-04-2004, 06:25 PM
They should silk screen the BCA rules on all bar tables.
Peope get into fistfights fighting over rules on 8-ball.
Too many clueless bar bangers out there.

woody_968
03-04-2004, 06:33 PM
There are several different rule sets for many of the games played, but 8-ball probably has the most variations. You can carry a bca rule book with ya if you want, but most people are now playing by apa or vnea rules.

Cueless Joey
03-04-2004, 06:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> There are several different rule sets for many of the games played, but 8-ball probably has the most variations. You can carry a bca rule book with ya if you want, but most people are now playing by apa or vnea rules. <hr /></blockquote>
True but most fools know Mr Bar's Rules.
I still haven't met him.
Somehow under Mr Bar's rules, if I sink two contrasting balls on the break, I have to pick the group of the first ball that went in. Hitting a rail is not a must for a legal shot. I can't combo two diff. balls on the opening shot.

Barbara
03-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Hey Alex, it sounds like you "found" my bar league!!

Plus, throw in there's a "no legal hit" rule, and I'll be running into you soon!

Barbara

What do I know... I'm just some broad...

UTAddb
03-04-2004, 07:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigalerickson:</font><hr>
7. If you accidentally pot the 8 ball before you are cleared to, you lose.
<hr /></blockquote>
What's false about this? 4.20 LOSS OF GAME
A player loses the game by committing any of the following infractions:

1. Fouls when pocketing the 8-ball (exception: see 8-Ball Pocketed On The
Break).
2. Pockets the 8-ball on the same stroke as the last of his group of balls.
3. Jumps the 8-ball off the table at any time.
4. Pockets the 8-ball in a pocket other than the one designated.
<font color="blue"> 5. Pockets the 8-ball when it is not the legal object ball. </font color>

bigalerickson
03-04-2004, 07:18 PM
sorry typo, they were saying that it wasn't a loss of game. it was a loss of turn, pulling the 8 ball out along with one of your object balls.

IS there any group out there that requires you to pull a ball out when you commit a foul in 8 ball? They all (but one) was sure this was the standard rule?

Thanks,

Alex

Scott Lee
03-05-2004, 12:09 AM
My favorite one, and one I continually run into...

Scratch on the break is a loss! LMAO

Scott Lee

bigalerickson
03-05-2004, 02:47 AM
I'm curious if anybody out there has any solid theories or ideas, or humorous stories as to how any of these rules came into existance. Especially, the ones that are across the board inaccurate....

Peace,

Alex

pooltchr
03-05-2004, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigalerickson:</font><hr> humorous stories as to how any of these rules came into existance. Especially, the ones that are across the board inaccurate....

Peace,

Alex <hr /></blockquote>
Since most of these rules come up in "Bar pool" I would think many are the result of alcohol induced intelligence. Maybe we should start calling them the "Bud rules". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-05-2004, 08:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigalerickson:</font><hr> sorry typo, they were saying that it wasn't a loss of game. it was a loss of turn, pulling the 8 ball out along with one of your object balls.

<font color="blue">That rule would be quite uncommon considering most bar tables are coin-operated. </font color>

IS there any group out there that requires you to pull a ball out when you commit a foul in 8 ball? They all (but one) was sure this was the standard rule?

<font color="blue">Very unusual (see above). I may have seen that rule somewhere in the wilds of Hamiltucky when I was a child before the coin-op tables became popular. 35 years erases those memories though. </font color>

Thanks,

Alex <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">There have been several threads about "bar rules". If I have time I'll do a search.

Wally~~likes the rule where if the CB is on the rail you can move it a butt-width...like in Putt-Putt /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

Wally_in_Cincy
03-05-2004, 08:53 AM
funny bar rules (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=107482&amp;page=&amp;vi ew=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

bar safeties (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=107339&amp;page=&amp;vi ew=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

Wally_in_Cincy
03-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Alex,

You may also enjoy this:

Tom in Cincy's classic "flare" thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=14416&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

SPetty
03-05-2004, 10:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigalerickson:</font><hr> Lastly, does anyone know of a small (read fits in a cue case wtih good size pockets) book of billiards rules that I could keep with me for times like these??<hr /></blockquote>When I joined an APA league, I was given a "case-sized" rule book.

When I joined a BCA league, I was given a "case-sized" rule book.

So, my answer would be "join a league"!

SpiderMan
03-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Al,

One of my personal favorites(?!) was when, at the end of a game where I played shape for a carom into the corner, my opponnent notified me "8-ball gotta go clean!".

SpiderMan

MikeM
03-05-2004, 04:05 PM
My favorite (it cost me $2 in PA once) is that if you don't hit the 8 ball on your last shot you lose. Even though not hitting your object ball isn't even a foul.

MM

Brent
03-06-2004, 04:50 AM
Hahaha this topic is soo everyday thing to me cuz here in Estonia people have no idea at all how to play. My favourite bar-banger rule is that in the end u must pot the 8 in opposite corner where the last ob went. Even if bangers shoot quite ok and only 8 is left the both start banging it into their pockets...usually someone loses due to a scratch before someone pots the 8 legally /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

c.holtz009
03-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Here's a good one....
If you hook yourself on the 8, you have to hit it. However, if your opponent hooks you on the 8, you don't have to hit it, unless you call it somewhere. If you call it somewhere when hooked by your opponnent, you have to hit it or you lose.
A person's head could explode trying to figure out how and where they came up with these rules.

moblsv
03-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Everyone of these rules, except 4, and all the others mentioned throughout this thread seem to be fairly universal throughout the bars I've played in. Maybe it's time for an 'official' bar rules book that outlines these as a form of 8 ball. It seems that it is far too late to try to educate the millions of people who have already accepted these as 'the' rules.

I've often wondered where these rules came from myself and the only thing I can figure is somehow the combination of alcohol and bar fights have mutated the game to something that just seems logical to a drunk.

1Time
03-07-2004, 05:06 PM
I've found that the more rules one goes over with an opponent before playing 8 ball in a bar or pool hall is a waste of time at best and at worst is just asking for trouble. Sure, I'll grant you that a rational, sober, knowledgable person may think otherwise, but playing pool in a bar or pool hall does not always result in playing pool with rational, sober, and knowledgable people.

I've succeded in my many years of bar room and pool hall 8 ball play by simply allowing my opponent to dictate the rules (if he or she felt the need to)... even when the rule in question was not addressed before the break, and even when my opponent changed or created a rule in the middle of play. And then, if ever I had a question about my opponent's acceptability of a shot, I'd ask him or her before shooting if it would be okay. And, I would not challenge the legitimacy of my opponent's shot. If my opponent thought it was good, then it was okay by me.

By success I mean 1) no one got hurt and 2) win or lose I respected my opponent as a person throughout play, regardless of the application of a rule. My main rule was to grant my opponent the right to make and break rules. Of course I didn't state this but I did try to impress upon my opponent that my respect for him or her as a person was more important than who won or lost or what rules we played by. Yes, I usually won but I did so with respect for my opponent and regardless of the rules we played by.

Tournament play is a little different in that the rules are supposedly already known to all competitors. However, if there's doubt about the legitimacy of a shot, just ask before the shot is taken or take the appropriate action afforded to you by the rules of the tournament. Still, respect for your opponent as a person goes a long way toward enjoying the competition.

JDB
03-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Exactly... nice post