PDA

View Full Version : Meucci...they dont make them like they used to.

boalt06
03-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Several people in my classes have told me that Meucci were great products around ten years ago and before. But now they are not constructed so well. Is that accurate?
Thank You

pooltchr
03-05-2004, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote boalt06:</font><hr> Is that accurate?
Thank You
<hr /></blockquote>
Yes.
You're welcome!
JMHO

SpiderMan
03-05-2004, 01:10 PM
They haven't been the same since Mike Erwin left Meucci (late '80s?).

SpiderMan

mike4handicap
03-05-2004, 03:16 PM
They are now bad. Very bad. Mid-80's Chrysler bad.

-Mike

bluey2king
03-05-2004, 03:40 PM
I went to buy one....because of what the salesman showed me on the ring fit and finish, I bought a Lucasi instead and saved money!! I am real happy with it!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Popcorn
03-05-2004, 05:44 PM
They were never a very high quality cue. Sort of a disposable cue you did not care much about because it was easy to replace. They maybe had some of the ugliest designs ever seen. I don't know if they are in any way significantly worse then in the past. I would be curious what specifically they are referring to. Ferrules always broke, inlays were always easy to feel through the finish, shaft quality hit and miss regardless the price level. Just average cues at best, but with a lot of public popularity, something I never really understood. I guess they advertised a little more then others and paid players to use them.

Ralph S.
03-05-2004, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Several people in my classes have told me that Meucci were great products around ten years ago and before. But now they are not constructed so well. Is that accurate?
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> </font color> Not exactly. They werent that great back then and are even worse now.

tateuts
03-06-2004, 12:06 AM
I've figured out that Meucci was big on flash but not on substance. In other words, a sales and marketing driven organization. The Mike Erwins are going to leave and so will anyone else who gives a damn about quality, because the idea is to design and get rid of it, then find the next hot design. Who cares if the dealers haven't sold the old ones yet - if they don't get the latest "hot item" they won't sell anything - get it?

All Meucci's, old and new, are not built in a manner which makes them tough and durable. There is a lot of relatively fragile plastic. A lot of them are sold in the hot and humid south, where a cue in a soft case with the car jack laying on it in the 120 degree sun baked trunk on an 80% humidity day tends to curl up on itself. The wood soaks up the moisture, swells and pops the collars, ferrules, and inlays like they're...well, plastic.

I have a nice collection of older Meucci's and I really like them. I try to find the really pristine older cues. Meucci's were a lot more popular in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's, but were pretty much built the same way. They were one of the big active sponsors of pro tournaments, etc. Meucci really are innovators.

The quality is really spotty. Some are very good and some are very bad. I have some old Meucci's that are really nice, very solid playing cues. They are attractive and well balanced, soft hitting cues. They feel good in your hands. They are the opposite of todays stiff, forward balanced cues. Properly cared for, they have stayed dead straight for 20 plus years.

I have also seen junk plastic warped pices of crap that virtually cannot realistically be repaired. This is the exception, not the rule. For the most part, the manufacturing part of these cues has been OK, but they haven't been well cared for.

Many of the designs were innovative and interesting. Many unfortunately were copies of famous cue makers designs. They stuck with the traditional sharp prongs and made popular the theme cue with designs like the "Gambler", the "Road Agent", and much more. They don't gross me out with rounded inlays.

Meucci has a strong collector following, especially the fancy older designs. There's no lack of demand from buyers.

Despite these quality control issues, a lot of people, like me, like Meucci's cues a lot.

Chris

justbrake
03-06-2004, 04:37 AM
I could and I am saying it now it is a piece of$HIT I have blue chalk under the wrap and get this,it's a rapless cue(laminated wrap) also I have 2 warped shafts that were all straight when purchased from the factory direct and now there both warped,they sealed the butt end and didn't do a good job it looks as if someone laminated a picture ans screwed it up! (get the picture !), I use it now as a break cue! sorry couldn't help myself here

woody_968
03-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Meucci was the first "good" cue I ever purchased. Back then I loved them, but as my game got better I found that their hit was not really what I wanted. I would agree the quality they put out today is nothing close to what it used to be, not that they were ever custom level cues, but they were pretty good back then IMO.

Even if I wanted to play with one today I would have trouble finding one of their new designs that I would like. I think they all look like crap.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-06-2004, 08:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr>...I have 2 warped shafts that were all straight when purchased from the factory direct and now there both warped...<hr /></blockquote>

I have seen a handful of warped Meucci shafts as well. One was only six weeks old and was bought by a single mom who saved for months to buy it. I think folks around here are finally starting to figure out that there are better cues than Meucci.