PDA

View Full Version : My new cue arrived...metal pin into wood threads?

peet234
03-05-2004, 02:49 PM
I received my new custom cue today and I did not realize from the website that the rather large metal butt pin, screwed into wood threads right into the shaft. I really like this cue (although I haven't chalked it yet) but I wondered about the strength and durability of this type of thread. I'm thinking that the threads will wear more easily than metal threads. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-05-2004, 03:09 PM
McDermott and Pechauer uses that pin also. I too was surprised when I bought my first McDermott. You should not have any problems as long as you don't cross thread it (I don't even know if that's possible). And don't be careless and try to screw on the shaft from another cue.

Mine has now been screwed and unscrewed 813 times with no problems /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My girlfriend's Pechauer also has had no problems.

Nothing to worry about and the pin delivers a nice hit (IMO)

What kind did you get?

mike4handicap
03-05-2004, 03:09 PM
The "big" pin is called a radial pin. This is the joint system that most custom cue makers use. I'm sure nobody would use it if it wasn't reliable, should last a long time.

-Mike

Scott Lee
03-05-2004, 03:10 PM
No problem with the metal pin into wood threads...unless you 'cross thread' the shaft. Just make sure that when you are screwing the shaft onto the butt, you never FORCE the thread. It may be tight (just like my Samsara...same kind of joint screw and wood threads), but never force it. The threads will NOT wear out, even after years of play.

Scott Lee

peet234
03-05-2004, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> McDermott and Pechauer uses that pin also. What kind did you get? <hr /></blockquote>

Probably not as well known as others, but I ordered from http://www.sankocues.com. Joe seems to be a great guy to deal with.

My exact cue is the second from the right here: http://www.sankocues.com/showcues007.jpg I'm going to try it out tonight although I'm a little nervous, since this is my first real cue (replacing my cheap import.) Should be fun!!!

Ralph S.
03-05-2004, 08:04 PM
The wood to wood joint is one of the things I really like about McDermott cues. I seriously doubt you will ever have any trouble with the metal pin screwinginto wood threads. I have had several of this type, have one now, and never a problem.

Pelican
03-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Really pretty cue, peet. I love wood with a lot of figure to it.

woody_968
03-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Nice looking cue! As far as the threads go dont sweat it. As many have said this type of joint has been used for a long time with no problems.

tateuts
03-06-2004, 11:00 AM
You got yourself the most popular custom cue joint out there.

Chris

Cueless Joey
03-06-2004, 01:04 PM
IF the wood threads loosen-up, all you do is steam the hole a bit. The wood would expand inside. Wax it the join the cue to a snug fit.

ajrack
03-06-2004, 08:58 PM
I have been playing with two Kersenbrock cues for over 25 years and both cues have metal pins into wood. I have probably shot over 500,000 balls with both. Dave Kersenbrock told me to use a little vaseline on a cue tip into the wood threads about once a year...it cleans out the dust and the slight bit of moisture keeps the wood from getting brittle. Both cues and all 6 shafts are still in great shape.

peet234
03-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Took it out Friday and had some of my more experienced buddies take a look. It checked out straight and everyone also said the threads were nothing to worry about. Has a nice firm hit and balance is great. Thanks