PDA

View Full Version : Uni-Locks, Loosey-Goosey

Sid_Vicious
03-06-2004, 11:22 AM
I have unilocks joints on 3 cues, and I frequently find that the joint has become less that tight. Even though the slight twist to check for snugness gives good results, I have found that a bounce of the tip on the cloth sends an audible message that the joint isn't solid, and sure enough, a twist to unscrew the joint requires next to zero effort. Should these unilock joints be cranked down harder, or merely checked more often? Seems to me that the designer of these joints should have built in a final compression feature to aid in correcting gradual backing off(imo) sid

Cueless Joey
03-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Brass insert>
If it is, it will continue to looses as the stainless steel pins eats it one hairline chunk at a time since there is only 1 1/2 threads there.

Sid_Vicious
03-06-2004, 12:53 PM
I wonder if the auto wax trick Blackheart suggested on the wood threaded shafts would cause any improvement to these steel joints. It certainly snugged up the looseness with the wooden ones I tried it on, so if there's little damage by trying it on the steel joints, I'd give it a whirl. Otherwise I will just twist harder when I assemble the UniLocks. It's got to be hard on the joint to hit with a less-than tight junction, besides the obvious question of what happens to the stroke on the ball....sid

Cueless Joey
03-06-2004, 01:03 PM
I'd use a gun lube like Break Free.
My mentor was making a cue one time with Uniloc. He joined the cue. Nest thing you know, the cue would not unjoin no matter what. He even chucked it in the lathe. Still, it wouldn't unjoin. He lubed and it came off after a few hours.
A small brass particle came off the insert. That's all it took to totally bind the joint.
He has quit using them.

Popcorn
03-06-2004, 04:30 PM
That is, in my opinion, a bad joint. The thread is too course and closes with a jam fit instead of a smooth tightening action as you would get with a finer thread. For a cue joint, of the screws used I would say the 5/16 x 18 is probably the best joint from a technical point of view. You find machines and engines assembled with finer threads, they do a better job for that kind of application. I can't think of a reason to use a uni-loc joint. Putting the cue together faster is a silly reason. I am open to opinions though, I would be curious what case someone could make for the uni-loc joint. Maybe there is something I am missing.

SpiderMan
03-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Sid,

Rub a little bit of paraffin (candle wax) on the flat mating surfaces of the joints. The little extra bit of "stiction" may be all it takes to hinder the joint from unscrewing itself. I also sometimes rub a candle on the joint threads to reduce metal-to-metal wear as well as tighten the joint a little.

SpiderMan

ras314
03-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Sid,
I have an old habit of tapping the excess chalk off by tapping the shaft in the left hand. Any looseness in the joint will be obvious, at least with a wood to wood joint like the SPW. Snug it up a little and it seems to stay tight fine. It gets checked every time I chalk up, rarely have to tighten it after the first few hits.

At least with the Preditor SPW it helps to keep the mating surfaces of the wood clean.

Cueless Joey
03-06-2004, 09:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> That is, in my opinion, a bad joint. The thread is too course and closes with a jam fit instead of a smooth tightening action as you would get with a finer thread. For a cue joint, of the screws used I would say the 5/16 x 18 is probably the best joint from a technical point of view. You find machines and engines assembled with finer threads, they do a better job for that kind of application. I can't think of a reason to use a uni-loc joint. Putting the cue together faster is a silly reason. I am open to opinions though, I would be curious what case someone could make for the uni-loc joint. Maybe there is something I am missing. <hr /></blockquote>
They look cool and high-tech?

Ralph S.
03-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Sid, your problem may have a quick fix form somebody. I just wanted to state my opinion that the problem you describe, is why I dont like uni-loc or quick-release joint cues. I wonder if I am alone in this opinion?

Harold Acosta
03-06-2004, 11:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>
I can't think of a reason to use a uni-loc joint. Putting the cue together faster is a silly reason. I am open to opinions though, I would be curious what case someone could make for the uni-loc joint. Maybe there is something I am missing. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm with you on this one Popcorn. Although I have a Lucasi cue with the Uniloc Joint and haven't had the problem, many of my friends, particularly the ones buying Predators, have asked me why their cues are becoming unscrewed. The problems is worse with the Quick-Loc and True-loc cues.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the Predator Z shaft. Why does it come only for Uniloc Cues? If the Predator Z shaft is so great, why only one choice? Viking is also using Uni-loc, and several other cuemakers. Can anyone let us know what are we missing here?

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

rocky
03-08-2004, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>
I can't think of a reason to use a uni-loc joint. Putting the cue together faster is a silly reason. I am open to opinions though, I would be curious what case someone could make for the uni-loc joint. Maybe there is something I am missing. <hr /></blockquote>

particularly the ones buying Predators, have asked me why their cues are becoming unscrewed. The problems is worse with the Quick-Loc and True-loc cues.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the Predator Z shaft. Why does it come only for Uniloc Cues? If the Predator Z shaft is so great, why only one choice? Viking is also using Uni-loc, and several other cuemakers. Can anyone let us know what are we missing here?

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif <hr /></blockquote>

The Z shaft will be available next year in the other joints. what makes the uniloc joint good is the fact that it pulls the shaft down onto the but for a flusher fit. The joints have to be cleaned with alchohol atleast once a month or build up will cause the joint not to screw together all the way.
ps.... i have 5 uniloc joints and havnt had any problems with mine, but I am very maticulous with my cues.

cornercue
03-08-2004, 01:51 PM
i'm a personal friend of paul costain the person who invented uni-loc.i actually own two of his sticks and put his joints in many other sticks.i never heard of such a problem.you can't buy a better more precise joint than a uni-loc.the specs are so precise within.0001 of an inch.anything your hear about uni-loc being a bad joint is a bunch of bullshit.it is the best of the best.i would love to hear your comments.

Sid_Vicious
03-08-2004, 03:01 PM
The mere fact that so many here have replied that they, or many whom they know, have experienced the loosening effect tells me that there is indeed more to this deficiency to the Unilock than just BS. Being personal friends has no bearing as to a products integrity(imo) sid

Rod
03-08-2004, 03:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cornercue:</font><hr> i'm a personal friend of paul costain the person who invented uni-loc.i actually own two of his sticks and put his joints in many other sticks.i never heard of such a problem.you can't buy a better more precise joint than a uni-loc.the specs are so precise within.0001 of an inch.anything your hear about uni-loc being a bad joint is a bunch of bullshit.it is the best of the best.i would love to hear your comments. <hr /></blockquote>

It doesn't make an difference if he is a friend or the president, has no bearing. Bullshit you say. You know how chickens leave drops with brown and green with a white dab right on the top? Do you know what that white is? It's chicken [censored] too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey you ever heard of worn dies, tooling or equipment. Maybe that is the big problem here. Tools wear out and some bad ones do slip through. The actual joint may be ok as you said. A friend of mine also has a unilock joint that loosens every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Tell him or me it's b/s. It happens, you can defend the joint, which I personally don't care for, but your not aware of manufacturing defects that slip through.

Rod

SpiderMan
03-08-2004, 03:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> [You know how chickens leave drops with brown and green with a white dab right on the top? Do you know what that white is? It's chicken [censored] too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Rod <hr /></blockquote>

HAHAHAHA ..... I love it!

SpiderMan

SPetty
03-08-2004, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>You know how chickens leave drops with brown and green with a white dab right on the top? Do you know what that white is? It's chicken [censored] too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif<hr /></blockquote>HAHAHAHA ..... I love it!<hr /></blockquote>BOOHOOHOO ..... I step in it!

tateuts
03-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Dale Perry was a big uni-loc user. I noticed that recently his new cues use the radial pin. One of the sneaky pete's I got from Dale had a loose pin to begin with. A tap of the joint collar against the table would give you the tell-tale buzz.

My uni-loc experience was that the joint came loose on me several times playing as well. I got to the point where I screwed them together tight, and they did not come loose.

However, the other joint I have had come loose is the... radial pin! Several times as a matter of fact. Now I give them a little firmer turn and occasionally check the joint while playing - nervous habit - and haven't had a repeat of this problem.

Chris

Iowashark
03-08-2004, 04:55 PM
A friend of mine has a Lucasi jump cue with the uni-loc that comes loose very easily. I have a few cues with the uni-loc and I have had no problem with it. He bought his used and this may be the reason that the seller got rid of it. Could just be a few bad apples out there, but just cause a few are prone to defect doesn't make all of them bad.

cornercue
03-08-2004, 05:00 PM
learn how to spell dummy.it's uni-loc not uni-lock.hope your pool isn't as bad as your spelling.

Popcorn
03-08-2004, 05:15 PM
"what makes the uniloc joint good is the fact that it pulls the shaft down onto the but for a flusher fit."

Sounds good, but Nothing about the design of the joint would substantiate that claim. In fact, quite the opposite, it produces an undesirable jam fit, instead of a clutch type fit you get with a finer thread. That is why it comes loose. You will not find this kind of thread in any application where a smooth solid strong fit is desired. The piece that sticks out that guides the joint together adds nothing to the integrity of the joint other then to help get the threading started. It is a bogus designs that look high-tech, but is not as good as a common screw. Show that joint to any engineer and then show him or her a common Meucci joint and see what they say.

ras314
03-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Sort of odd critizing spelling when one doesn't Captalize the first letter of a sentence. Wouldn't be so hard to read except their ain't spaces to seperate sentences either.

boy, never thought I'd be joining the proper english police.spiderman don't shoot too well either, watched him miss a couple balls once.over a couple hours. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
03-08-2004, 05:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cornercue:</font><hr> learn how to spell dummy.it's uni-loc not uni-lock.hope your pool isn't as bad as your spelling. <hr /></blockquote>
I hope your pool is better than your attitude and manners.
I'll stake Spiderman against you anytime.
You seemed to be clueless. It doesn't matter what the tolerances is between the stainless steel pin and the brass insert. The brass insert does wear out.
Make a bunch of cues with that pin and come back here later.

SpiderMan
03-08-2004, 05:30 PM
I make more mistakes in pool than spelling. Is that bad?

BTW, learn to read and recognize quotations. I didn't even type that word.

While you're at it, learn to punctuate, space, and capitalize - then maybe you can proofread posts /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Popcorn
03-08-2004, 05:30 PM
You come to the wrong place with that attitude. Most here don't argue, they ignore. From your other questions you don't sound too much like an in-the-know-guy and you lost any future responses from me.

Ralph S.
03-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Hey Cornercue....I wouldn't be calling somebody a dummy, when you are having troubles writing a few basic sentences. Please use the space bar between words and sentences. Also, it might help to work on capitalization and punctuation.

I agree with the others. Just because you know the inventor or what have you, that does not automatically make the item perfect per say. This is America, and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Deal with it, and get over it.

Cueless Joey
03-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Hey, the inventor of the internet's my uncle Al Gore.
I'm gonna have cornercue banned for misuing the internet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateuts
03-08-2004, 06:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> Could just be a few bad apples out there, but just cause a few are prone to defect doesn't make all of them bad. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, Uni-loc corp wins either way in my book. They also make the increasingly popular Radial pin, which I think makes the best wood-to-wood joint available. I think the Radial pin is "the" custom cue joint and the standard uni-loc will either be phased out or upgraded to be used on mass produced cues.

I was pretty impressed with the McDermott Quick release joint - so there's hope for the uni-loc.

Chris

tateuts
03-08-2004, 06:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cornercue:</font><hr> learn how to spell dummy.it's uni-loc not uni-lock.hope your pool isn't as bad as your spelling. <hr /></blockquote>

My goodness, if I didn't know better I would think you are Bolo.

You may as well flush this screen name. Nobody is going to take you seriously.

Dummy.

Chris

daviddjmp
03-08-2004, 08:29 PM
I would have to agree with Popcorn here. All of the best custom cues I have every seen (Southwest, Capone, Chudy, etc.) use a radial pin. I had a couple of Pechauers which had a variation on Uniloc, and though they never came apart, the hit was way too soft for my taste. It seems to me that the Uniloc was designed for quick assembly. I really doubt it could ever be as strong or solid a radial pin.

Cueless Joey
03-08-2004, 09:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> I would have to agree with Popcorn here. All of the best custom cues I have every seen (Southwest, Capone, Chudy, etc.) use a radial pin. I had a couple of Pechauers which had a variation on Uniloc, and though they never came apart, the hit was way too soft for my taste. It seems to me that the Uniloc was designed for quick assembly. I really doubt it could ever be as strong or solid a radial pin. <hr /></blockquote>
Not quite. SW uses a 3/8 11 Acme pin.
Btw, there are at least 3 radial pin variety I know.
One used on Sledgehammer. And one old one used by Phillippi. Radial pins actually started as surgical pins. Yup, used on BONES.
I prefer the 3/8 11 because you don't have to tap the hole. You can thread it as tight as you want.

Popcorn
03-08-2004, 09:34 PM
What do you mean by you don't tap. Do you just force it in and let it form it's thread?

Cueless Joey
03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> What do you mean by you don't tap. Do you just force it in and let it form it's thread? <hr /></blockquote>
No, you use a thread mill.
Most cuemakers don't have them b/c they are lazy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateuts
03-08-2004, 10:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Btw, there are at least 3 radial pin variety I know.
One used on Sledgehammer. And one old one used by Phillippi. Radial pins actually started as surgical pins. Yup, used on BONES.
I prefer the 3/8 11 because you don't have to tap the hole. You can thread it as tight as you want. <hr /></blockquote>

Joey,

The uni-loc Radial pin has (as you pointed out once before) about 7 turns per inch. I thought they had the patent on this? Or, did they just trademark the name? Where do you buy the other sizes?

I also know that Bill Stoud was originally involved in the development of the joint with uni-loc corp. Anyway, my JossWest has their pin and so do several of my other newer customs. I like the joint a lot. They can retire that quick release jobber as far as I'm concerned.

Chris

houstondan
03-08-2004, 11:18 PM
this thread has been pretty educational for me since i don't really know anything about the uni-whatzit joints but i think i'll have one on a new pred. spw that's coming. i think i remember someone at clicks telling me that's all they can get 'em in. it's a league points deal.

i do have that joint on my bungee jumper and i don't think it gets very tight very easy but for 1 stroke every other week, who cares.

just in case, how hard would it be for my cue dr. to pull that joint out and replace it???

and i appreciate y'all not sending me to typing school. i learned this as a radio reporter and it was all caps w/no punctuation. unless you count three dots...we used that for everything.

dan

Popcorn
03-08-2004, 11:31 PM
I should have known what you meant. As my wife always says, It was an IQ test and I failed.

Cueless Joey
03-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Bill Stroud was instumental in the design of the radial pin. He swears by it of course. The radial pin is different than the regular 3/8 10 variety because the it clamps on the wood threads tighter and do not wear out the wood threads b/c it has U shaped bottom instead of v-shape.
Actually the Acme-type 3/8 pin like the SW or Wes Hunter's do almost the same. UniLoc did patent IT's own radial pin with a barrel guide. It makes installation easier and straighter imo. Pins with all threads and no unthreaded wall are not quite as straight imo. My mentor designed his own 3/8 11 with a barrel.
The other radial pins I cannot find to buy. One cuemaker wanted $15 each for them. Phillippi and Mid West cues also had their own radial. It was even more radical and it was tight. Really tight.
Imo, if somebody wants the small pin with the brass insert, there is nothing wrong with the 5/16 14 and 18 variety.

buddha162
03-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Hi Joey,

So you can't mill out a radial thread?

Some of the cuemakers who do use Radial pins also use undersized taps (Capone, Dayton, I believe Josey as well), so tightness isn't a problem.

Without some lube, you can hardly screw your shaft on with both hands (lovely sentence...)

-Roger

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> No, you use a thread mill.
Most cuemakers don't have them b/c they are lazy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Cueless Joey
03-08-2004, 11:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> Hi Joey,

So you can't mill out a radial thread?

Some of the cuemakers who do use Radial pins also use undersized taps (Capone, Dayton, I believe Josey as well), so tightness isn't a problem.

Without some lube, you can hardly screw your shaft on with both hands (lovely sentence...)

-Roger

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> No, you use a thread mill.
Most cuemakers don't have them b/c they are lazy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>
You can't mill radial pins' threads on the shafts.
The gap between the threads on them are U shaped and the numbering is weird. I believe it's 8 and a half. That's not available in the metal lathes' gear. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You can just undercut the hole a little and tap them with a radial tap, they will be tight.
I know, it shouldn't matter, but I believe a tight pin makes for a better hit.
Joey~ Not a googan, just a cueamaker wannabe~

SeeDee
03-09-2004, 08:39 AM
What I like about the unilock joint is the tight fit. I shoot with a Predator and when I slide the pin into the shaft before I screw it on there is maybe 1/8" gap between the shaft and the cue forearm. I move the shaft tip back and forth and there is very little play. I have taken many other cues with screw in threads and screwed the shaft down to within 1/8" of the forearm and checked out the play of the shaft for comparison and no other joint I've tried has even come close to the tight fit of the unilock.

Sid_Vicious
03-09-2004, 09:24 AM
I actually like the Uni-lock, but I am finding that I have to pay attention to whether it's come loose over time. I have begun to crank harder at assembly and had less trouble with them, so maybe there's hope. I was just startled to find not just one, but all three of mine wiggling to a loose condition from time to time, and one of these is on McDermott's top of the retail line cue, a Prestige, so it's not merely a case of having cheap Uni-Lock designs...sid

Cueless Joey
03-09-2004, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SeeDee:</font><hr> What I like about the unilock joint is the tight fit. I shoot with a Predator and when I slide the pin into the shaft before I screw it on there is maybe 1/8" gap between the shaft and the cue forearm. I move the shaft tip back and forth and there is very little play. I have taken many other cues with screw in threads and screwed the shaft down to within 1/8" of the forearm and checked out the play of the shaft for comparison and no other joint I've tried has even come close to the tight fit of the unilock. <hr /></blockquote>
The radial pins do not have much slack or play either.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-09-2004, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I actually like the Uni-lock, but I am finding that I have to pay attention to whether it's come loose over time. I have begun to crank harder at assembly and had less trouble with them, so maybe there's hope. I was just startled to find not just one, but all three of mine wiggling to a loose condition from time to time, and one of these is on McDermott's top of the retail line cue, a Prestige, so it's not merely a case of having cheap Uni-Lock designs...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Well, ironically, I have never had any trouble with my Prestige, but my McD with the 3/8-10 will come loose if not tightened securely. Go figure.

Cueless Joey
03-09-2004, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I actually like the Uni-lock, but I am finding that I have to pay attention to whether it's come loose over time. I have begun to crank harder at assembly and had less trouble with them, so maybe there's hope. I was just startled to find not just one, but all three of mine wiggling to a loose condition from time to time, and one of these is on McDermott's top of the retail line cue, a Prestige, so it's not merely a case of having cheap Uni-Lock designs...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Well, ironically, I have never had any trouble with my Prestige, but my McD with the 3/8-10 will come loose if not tightened securely. Go figure. <hr /></blockquote>
Boil some water in the micro. Get a teaspoon and drop some steaming water there.
Wax the face of the shaft first so the wood on the face does not swell.

SpiderMan
03-09-2004, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cornercue:</font><hr> learn how to spell dummy.it's uni-loc not uni-lock.hope your pool isn't as bad as your spelling. <hr /></blockquote>

My goodness, if I didn't know better I would think you are Bolo.

You may as well flush this screen name. Nobody is going to take you seriously.

Dummy.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Chris,

I think he took your advice - meet "SeeDee".

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
03-09-2004, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>Hey Chris,

I think he took your advice - meet "SeeDee".

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah. If Fast Larry taught me anything it was to watch for a poster's alter ego /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

For everything else he wanted me to buy the videotape /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Iowashark
03-09-2004, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Yeah. If Fast Larry taught me anything it was to watch for a poster's alter ego /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

For everything else he wanted me to buy the videotape /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If being a moderator has taught me anything it's to check the IP's, and corner's and SeeDee's are different. Probably not the same person.

tateuts
03-09-2004, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> this thread has been pretty educational for me since i don't really know anything about the uni-whatzit joints but i think i'll have one on a new pred. spw that's coming. i think i remember someone at clicks telling me that's all they can get 'em in. it's a league points deal.

just in case, how hard would it be for my cue dr. to pull that joint out and replace it???

dan <hr /></blockquote>
Dan,

Wait a minute. What we're saying is, if you have a choice, there might be better joints. We're not saying rip them out and replace them!

Chris

rocky
03-09-2004, 11:40 AM
A Meucci joint is better HAHA I guess that is why every cheap cue in the world has the same joint. One bump on a screwed together cue and your pin is bent. If you are going to reply try and check your facts, the uni-loc corp is an engineering firm as well that produces joints for many aplications. The threads in the bottom pull the shaft onto the face of the but ( or joint ). The threads go further down than you can actually screw into, this asures a tighter fit, but it does require alot of maintanance.
ps........whats with all of the childish talk? This is chat and grammer is of no importance. Time to put on your big boy pants people and be a man not a little kid trying to argue for more allowance. ( no offence ladies, all of you are well spoken and polite)

Sid_Vicious
03-09-2004, 12:16 PM
dan...I started this thread, and since then I've begun to crank down more when I assemble these joints, not knuckle white mind you, but more than the fingers only like I do the standard jointed cues. I've not had the problem since then,,,certainly do not rip out a perfectly good UniLock because of what's surfaced here. I was breaking with mine last night and hammering the pack..sid

SpiderMan
03-09-2004, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Yeah. If Fast Larry taught me anything it was to watch for a poster's alter ego /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

For everything else he wanted me to buy the videotape /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If being a moderator has taught me anything it's to check the IP's, and corner's and SeeDee's are different. Probably not the same person. <hr /></blockquote>

I go by writing characteristics and quirks, as well as other coincidences. Cornercue and SeeDee both take the minority side in this argument, use poor grammar and run-on sentences, and omit commas. Plus, SeeDee just registered today after Cornercue got his spanking. No guarantees, but the two guys seem related.

I don't think IP addresses are reliable for sleuthing. For example, my IP depends on whether I post from work or home. And I believe my home IP address changes every time I start a new dialup session, so at home I could be a different person just by logging out and back in. Now have a look at my IP address and the one for Sid Vicious. They're the same when we're both at work, but he's not me. We only have one IP address for our entire company.

SpiderMan

houstondan
03-09-2004, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> this thread has been pretty educational for me since i don't really know anything about the uni-whatzit joints but i think i'll have one on a new pred. spw that's coming. i think i remember someone at clicks telling me that's all they can get 'em in. it's a league points deal.

dan <hr /></blockquote>
Dan,

Wait a minute. What we're saying is, if you have a choice, there might be better joints. We're not saying rip them out and replace them!

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

appreciate your concern but the question, a simple one, remains for anyone who does cue work. as i said, i may have no choice on the uni-loc so how difficult is it to replace it if i don't like it?

dan..appreciate the help

SeeDee
03-09-2004, 04:11 PM
I go by writing characteristics and quirks, as well as other coincidences. Cornercue and SeeDee both take the minority side in this argument, use poor grammar and run-on sentences, and omit commas. Plus, SeeDee just registered today after Cornercue got his spanking. No guarantees, but the two guys seem related.

I don't think IP addresses are reliable for sleuthing. For example, my IP depends on whether I post from work or home. And I believe my home IP address changes every time I start a new dialup session, so at home I could be a different person just by logging out and back in. Now have a look at my IP address and the one for Sid Vicious. They're the same when we're both at work, but he's not me. We only have one IP address for our entire company.

SpiderMan
<hr /></blockquote>

Spiderman, I'm just an occcational lurker who finds this a good forum for information at times. I have a uni-loc joint and like the tightness of it minority opinion or not. Please try to overlook my poor grammer, run on sentences, omitted or misplaced commas, and any other quriks or characteristics I might have that tends to lead you away form the point of the post.

Popcorn
03-09-2004, 04:20 PM
I was looking to see who was on line and they were both signed at the same time. I think you are wrong.

SpiderMan
03-09-2004, 05:01 PM
I stand corrected. I'm not the best "Sherlock Holmes" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
03-09-2004, 05:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I was looking to see who was on line and they were both signed at the same time. I think you are wrong. <hr /></blockquote>

I think you're right. But while I have your attention, you still owe me a source on that $4 a foot linen melamine rod!

SpiderMan

Popcorn
03-09-2004, 07:53 PM
We are objectively talking about cue joints, not religion, lighten up. A screw pulls two parallel surfaces together producing compression, this is not high technology and the principles that apply are easy to understand.

03-10-2004, 10:52 AM

SPetty
03-10-2004, 11:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr>Uni-locks are for the birds unless it is on a break and/or jump cue. <hr /></blockquote>What makes you say that it is O.K. on a break and/or jump cue, but not O.K. on a playing cue? What's the difference?

rctraveler82
03-12-2004, 09:06 AM
I shoot with a predator with the uni-loc joint and the Z-shaft and have been doing so for about 6 months now. I have not had any problems with it, and i love how the cue plays. I do clean it regularly though so that may make a difference and after reading these posts i will make sure that i keep it clean.

03-12-2004, 10:56 AM

Rod
03-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Sid,

Just thinking about this thread. I still don't care for uni-loc joints although a jump cue coming will have one. I'm very familiar with automotive, but it no doubt comes into play in many other fields. Torque is the correct amount of pre-load for a given bolt or fastener. It actually stretches a given fastener the correct amount so it does not come loose. In some cases, for automotive purpose, you actually measure the amount the bolt has been stretched. That might be say .006 for a given bolt. If the bolt is only stretched .004, it does not have the correct pre-load and is destine to fail. The same applies to a bolt that is over torqued, say .008, they usually they break.

Cues joints are of course different because of design, but the joint still has to be tight. The old std 5/16" X 18 thread is very similar to the principle however because that joint pin is stretched because of the fine thread. My Schön with a 14 thread has to be tight but it would never stretch the pin the same as automotive or other industry standards.

Just some useless dribble most likely but a joint does have to be tight or it results in a failure. If it does fail it may, or can damage the fastener possibly to the point it needs to be taken out of service.

Rod

Rod
03-12-2004, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I hate to sit there and screw and unscrew my break cue, which seems to take forever and delay the match.

<hr /></blockquote>

WW, Hate is a strong word. Your the one putting pressure on yourself with time constraints. Whether it takes 1 minute or a few seconds makes little difference. Slow down and smell the roses, it's part of preparation going into a match. If it frustrates you to screw a cue together you might take that with you into the match. LOL

Rod