PDA

View Full Version : Question for Chicago people

Wally_in_Cincy
03-06-2004, 01:56 PM
If I were going to stay in Chicago this Friday night is there a good entertainment district, preferably with some blues, that is safe and within walking distance of a hotel?

Or just a good blues bar near a hotel?

Ralph S.
03-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Hey Wally, I might be wrong, but just about everything you would want is on Lake Shore Dr. I could be wrong though.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-08-2004, 06:47 AM
Thanks Ralph. I think we have decided not to go this weekend though.

Chris Cass
03-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Hi Ralph,

Divsion and State has about two blocks worth of 1 1/4 million dollar joints. It's the only place to go during the summer mths. There has to be around 500 people walking and most of them college students and many older adults too. The cops ride on horse back. It's neat and I once managed a club down there when I got out of the service. $500. a week clr plus 3% over the gross per quarter bonus incentive program. 15 hr days and the pressure of the competition with the other clubs was too much. Not to mention the parking at $150. week. Yep, you don't want any tickets. That was really outragous. Use to get togather with all the other club managers to play $2000. poker. Seemed a bit much for me, not being a poker player but it was the contacts. These joints go through managers weekly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

It's safe as you can be, in Chicago. They have many types of clubs too. As far as safety goes. As long as your not making bad choices, your ok. Not to late, not alone, reasonably sober, it's a good time. The places on LSD are too expensive, and daytime up to 9pm is ok. Now, Division and State is way more safer. I wish I could think of some places that have good blues music but it's been way to long since I've been in touch.

Regards,

C.C.~~1986 draft beer was $3.25 a glass. Import beer was $4.25 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

armandito
03-09-2004, 11:44 PM
I'm not in Chicago. I live in Green Bay, about 3 hrs. north, but I do travel a lot to Chicago.

Why don't you try the "House of Blues Hotel" you will probably find info online. The whole hotel is themed, the bar is very nice, and they have a concert hall that is usually sold out months in advance. Their Sunday "Gospel Brunch" is a must. Do make reservations asap, as they sell out fast. It is a little more expensive than other hotels, but it is different than all of the other properties I have stayed at in town.
There's a lot to do in the area, all of the restaurants are withing walking distance, and even Michigan Ave is just two blocks away. I do recommend taking the trolley to visit the museums and to move along Michigan Ave.
Hope this helps, enjoy...

Wally_in_Cincy
03-10-2004, 07:18 AM
thanks for all replies. This internet thing is pretty cool /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally~~always wanted to do the HOB gospel brunch

PQQLK9
03-10-2004, 11:21 AM
"Well...if your baby leaves you...

and you need a new place to dwell...

it's down at the end of lonely street...

it's Heartbreak Hotel /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-10-2004, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> "Well...if your baby leaves you...

and you need a new place to dwell...

it's down at the end of lonely street...

it's Heartbreak Hotel /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Thank you. Thank you very much.

http://www.ibiblio.org/jem/elvis.gif

Wally~~has left the building

rukiddingme
03-10-2004, 04:56 PM
House of Blues
Legends
Kingston Mines
Checkerboard Lounge
Anywhere around DePaul's Lincoln Park Campus...
ruk

Wally_in_Cincy
03-11-2004, 06:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr>Anywhere around DePaul's Lincoln Park Campus...

<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah that's a nice area if you can find a place to park /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I went to a concert at the Beaumont on Halsted a couple years ago. They had a pool table but it was on a ledge so if you were shooting from the left long rail the floor was 12" lower than normal /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanx