PDA

View Full Version : AOL...IP ADDRESSES...PS2

eg8r
03-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Hello everyone,

I need some help from the hardware guys. My bro-in-law wants to start playing his PS2 games online with a friend, I told him that would be easy enough to do in a couple hours. He currently uses AOL Broadband (cable modem).

Well we go out and buy all the parts for the PS2 to hook up to the internet. Get home find out that it did not work. I called the PS tech support line and they told me it was because the AOL firewall does not give out IP addresses (or something to that effect). Well the PS2 needs to see the IP address. So we called TimeWarnerAOL tech support. They agree that it is a problem with AOL and there is only one thing to do...Buy a router (the router is supposed to assign an IP for the PS2). So off to the store we go again. We purchase the Linksys wireless router. 2 or three wireless ports and 2 hardwire ports. I hooked up the incoming line into the router, and from the router I hooked up the PC, and the PS2 (both hard lines). Well the PC worked just fine, however the PS2 still was unable to connect to the internet.

I spent a couple hours fooling with this and sitting on the phone with tech support and they do not understand the problem either.

Any suggestions????

eg8r

Tom_In_Cincy
03-06-2004, 11:01 PM
I can't believe you left yourself open for this....

GET RID OF "A O L" "Aways outta LUCK"

eg8r
03-07-2004, 07:06 AM
AOL does suck, but there is nothing I can do about it. This is for my bro-in-law house and that is what they use.

eg8r <~~~has AOL email address for spam

moblsv
03-07-2004, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> AOL does suck, but there is nothing I can do about it. This is for my bro-in-law house and that is what they use.

eg8r &lt;~~~has AOL email address for spam <hr /></blockquote>

Friends don't let friends use AOL :-)

your best bet for support may be http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation

or a basic DSL account through a reputable ISP would be ideal.

eg8r
03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Well, everything is working now. My bro-in-law called TimeWarner and had them switch his broadband from AOL to RoadRunner. Everything started working immeadiately. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It appears the only problem he was having with the PS2 was that the router or network or something was not reading the MAC address of the PS2. The only way to fix it is to input the MAC address in manually. Oh well, he did not have to worry about it now that they no longer use AOL.

Thanks for the help,

eg8r

Brady_Behrman
04-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Arabs On Line