PDA

View Full Version : starter cues

DMoney1644
03-07-2004, 11:28 PM
i've decided it's about time to buy my own cue. im looking for something about $100 or less, preferably around $75. i've been looking at brands like lucasi, players, action, fury, viper, and minnesota fats. which brand would you guys pick and why? or can you recommend something better under $100? i won't have a chance to try out the cue before purchasing it so i want to be as informed as possible.

right now im liking the players line, minnesota fats, the lucasi sneaky pete, and the fury DL series. any comments?

tgscordv6
03-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Dufferin Hustler sneaky pete for $80. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1Time
03-08-2004, 01:10 AM
For under $100, I'd recommend buying used. Just hit the local pool halls and let them know you want to buy a cue for $75. Don't tell them you're willing to pay $100; that'll leave you some room to dicker if you find one you really want. And, if you're patient enough and have some idea of what your're looking at, you could end up with a pretty decent cue.

Or, if you're set on buying new, I'd recommend a 2 piece Dufferin. This (http://www.cuestore.com/cues/=NA=phantom.html) one's in your price range. It looks like the first 2 piece I used, a sneaky pete Dufferin that got the job done.

Also, in my opinion, shooting with a cue for at least 15 minutes is mandatory before buying. And, unless you have reason to believe otherwise, a 12.5 mm to 13.0 mm diameter shaft and a weight between 18 and 19.5 ounces works best for most. My cue's shaft is about 12.75 mm and the weight is 18.5 ounces.

1Time
03-08-2004, 01:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tgscordv6:</font><hr> Dufferin Hustler sneaky pete for $80. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Obviously this guy knows a good cue for under $100.

pooltchr
03-08-2004, 07:02 AM
MSRP on the Fury DL series is $95. If you shop around, you can probably find a new one less than that. Good quality, and the company stands behind their product 100%.

1Time
03-08-2004, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> MSRP on the Fury DL series is $95. If you shop around, you can probably find a new one less than that. Good quality, and the company stands behind their product 100%. <hr /></blockquote>

Here's (http://www.affordablebilliards.com/fury_dl_series/) a link to the Fury DL series; there are 10 different models each priced at $76.00. These look like very nice cues for the money and appear to be better suited for play on a regulation table than the Dufferins. I've never played with one of these but if I had to buy one without trying it out first, I'd get a 19 ounce.

I'd still go with a Dufferin for play on a bar table, an 18 ounce, mostly because I already know how it plays but also because I believe it would be better suited for play on a bar table.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-08-2004, 09:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr>...These look like very nice cues for the money and appear to be better suited for play on a regulation table than the Dufferins. ....

.....I believe it would be better suited for play on a bar table. <hr /></blockquote>

OK I have to ask. Why would one cue play "better" on a bar table? Or on a regulation table?

Wally~~new one on me....

Frank_Glenn
03-08-2004, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr>...These look like very nice cues for the money and appear to be better suited for play on a regulation table than the Dufferins. ....

.....I believe it would be better suited for play on a bar table. <hr /></blockquote>

OK I have to ask. Why would one cue play "better" on a bar table? Or on a regulation table?

Wally~~new one on me.... <hr /></blockquote>

LOL, I thought the same thing. Basically, once you learn to use a given cue, changing to a different one requires learning to aim again (due to changes in the way the cue squirts and throws balls). YMMV

pooltchr
03-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Maybe it's just me, but on a slow "carpet" with a heavy cue ball, I personally prefer a slightly heavier, stiffer hitting cue. For me, on a bar table, it's less of a finesse game. Like I said, that's just me.

Predator314
03-08-2004, 02:09 PM
I would go with the Fury DL series. I have played with this cue and it hits pretty good.

I have sold quite a few of these cues as well. I haven't had any complaints.

Ralph S.
03-08-2004, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For me, on a bar table, it's less of a finesse game. Like I said, that's just me <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> I disagree with statement to a great degrre. On a bar table or smaller table, you have considerably less room to maneuver. I think that this factor puts a premium on cue ball control{finesse}. </font color>

DMoney1644
03-08-2004, 02:56 PM
what about these minnesota fats cues? anybody have any experience with them? what about players cues? surely they're "the best-selling cue in the world" for a reason. the J&amp;J cues are looking pretty nice as well. and any personnal experience with owning a Fury DL? thanks.

1Time
03-09-2004, 03:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> OK I have to ask. Why would one cue play "better" on a bar table? Or on a regulation table?

Wally~~new one on me.... <hr /></blockquote>

Good question... this may very well be a new one for most folks.

Players more frequently employ a shorter stroke with a bar table than a regulation table, and for good reason. Consider the size difference between the playing areas of a bar table to that of a regulation table. The bar table has only about 63% of the playing area of a regulation table. And, consider the balls are closer together on a bar table, there's less green to work with, and there's a higher ratio of pocket area to rail area with a bar table than with a regulation table, which explains why it's easier to scratch on a bar table.

Conversely, players more frequently employ a longer stroke with a regulation table than they do on a bar table. The Fury DL line appears to have a longer tapered shaft than the Dufferin Phantom. A longer tapered shaft is better suited for a longer stroke. The shorter tapered shaft of the Dufferin makes the cue stiffer and decreases the deflection; I've found a stiffer cue works better on a bar table. However, for regulation tables I prefer a cue such as my Meucci that offers noticeably more deflection than, for example, a stiffer cue like a McDermott. It's all in the taper... I remember reading that somewhere.

The idea that switching cues or shafts when changing between a bar table and a regulation table would affect your aiming, is no doubt true, and would likely prove too daunting for the average player. However, I maintain that doing so has the potential of producing better results than not changing cues or shafts. To me the difference is so evident. Using a cue like the Dufferin on a bar table and then changing to a regulation table is like shooting an open site rifle; it gets the job done but it's not always on target. But then when I change my cue or shaft to one that is tailored for play on a regulation table, it's like adding a high-powered scope to the rifle.

The Dufferin is a fine choice for play on a bar table. And I'm confident just about any of the cues mentioned in this thread would serve the average player well in any event. But if your at all concerned with getting the best cue for the money, you just can't beat putting your hands on a few to find the one that works best for you.

Sid_Vicious
03-09-2004, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't haggle or explore cues for a starter cue, I'd merely get Lucasi's lowest, or nearly lowest priced cue, cost you maybe $120 thru the internet...great bargain, a good quality, nice looking play cue. I know nothing about the cues you mentioned, sorry. sid

pooltchr
03-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Ralph, you are correct about the smaller table causing some tight conditions. My point is that with most bar tables, the cloth is a bit slower and often the cb is heavier. A slight variation in speed on simonis will result in a greater variation on the distance traveled than it would on a slower cloth. Add in the heavier ball and it's even more. Obviously, you still need speed control on any table, but the subtle differences seem to show up less on the bar tables. JMHO

Wally_in_Cincy
03-09-2004, 08:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr>
...The idea that switching cues or shafts when changing between a bar table and a regulation table would affect your aiming, is no doubt true, and would likely prove too daunting for the average player....<hr /></blockquote>

I don't think it would help the game of a better player either. JMO

Wally_in_Cincy
03-09-2004, 08:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I wouldn't haggle or explore cues for a starter cue, I'd merely get Lucasi's lowest, or nearly lowest priced cue, cost you maybe $120 thru the internet...great bargain, a good quality, nice looking play cue. I know nothing about the cues you mentioned, sorry. sid <hr /></blockquote>

Can't argue with that. Their "slightly fancy sneaky pete" plays just fine judging from the one time I played with one.

Just an aside, a female newbie purchased a used one from another more experienced female player. The seller told her it was a $300 cue. That's not the first time this particular girl has shystered somebody. That's why my girlfriend no longer plays on her team.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-09-2004, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DMoney1644:</font><hr> what about these minnesota fats cues? anybody have any experience with them? what about players cues? surely they're "the best-selling cue in the world" for a reason.

<font color="blue">Maybe the same reason Budweiser is the biggest selling beer. Advertising. </font color>

the J&amp;J cues are looking pretty nice as well.

<font color="blue">Don't waste your money. I have a J&amp;J I bought for a cheap breaker and the shaft wood is terrible. That's why they're so cheap. </font color>

and any personnal experience with owning a Fury DL? thanks.

<font color="blue">pooltchr likes the Fury so I would not hesitate to try one. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

1Time
03-09-2004, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr>
...The idea that switching cues or shafts when changing between a bar table and a regulation table would affect your aiming, is no doubt true, and would likely prove too daunting for the average player....<hr /></blockquote>

I don't think it would help the game of a better player either. JMO <hr /></blockquote>

Right, it's easy for me to see why many would not think this could make a difference. However, meanwhile back at the pool halls, players like myself are using different cues or shafts to achieve a better game when switching to a different sized table.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-09-2004, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr>
Right, it's easy for me to see why many would not think this could make a difference. However, meanwhile back at the pool halls, players like myself are using different cues or shafts to achieve a better game when switching to a different sized table. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey if it works for you more power to you and shoot the lights out.

Wally~~now knows what really goes on back at the pool halls.

1Time
03-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Funny stuff, Wally. Take care.

Harold Acosta
03-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Buy a Lucasi or a Player. They have more variety and their cues look better than all the other low-end cues.

Lucasi's are in the $100-200 range, Players cue are from $55 and upwards.

They also have better resale than the others mentioned.

DMoney1644
03-11-2004, 01:49 PM
ok, i have it narrowed down to the Lucasi L-2000 sneaky pete, L-D2, and the Fury DL-3. which would you guys pick and why? and which one will (with proper care) last the longest in a utah climate? thanks.

1Time
03-11-2004, 11:51 PM
I'd go with the sneaky pete if you're primarily a bar table player. The L-D2 and the other one have a longer tapered shaft and so either would my choice for play on a 9' table. Just how many professionals has anyone seen play with a shorter tapered shaft on a 9' table anyway? You'd be best to try one out if you can. I'd even recommend going to your local billiards store and checking out their cues before buying one blind. At least you'll know if you like it before forking over the $.

pooltchr
03-12-2004, 06:39 AM
If you have it down to 3, it starts to become a personal choice of what you like. In my experience, the Lucasi has a little bit stiffer feel than the Fury, although I have a Fury RP series which has a different joint than the DL. Try to get your hands on a couple to try and see which one you are more comfortable with.

Eric.
03-12-2004, 08:35 AM
I'll second the nod towards Lucasi's. I've owned custom cues as well as production cues and IMO, the Lucasi with the Radial pin/melamine ferrule plays as good as alot of custom mucho expensivo cues. Someone in my local pool room had one, I tried it, loved it and bought one as a second playing cue.

http://seyberts.com/lucasi/discontinued/e4.htm

you can buy it for less than $200 bucks and it plays fantastic.

Eric

Sid_Vicious
03-12-2004, 09:26 AM
DMoney...Sent you something in a private message. Where in Utah are you from? My Ex was from Tooele..sid

Fred Agnir
03-12-2004, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DMoney1644:</font><hr> i've decided it's about time to buy my own cue. im looking for something about $100 or less, preferably around $75. <hr /></blockquote>I'm not going to say why. I'll just say. If your budget is in the $75 range, then you're limited to only a handful of cues. IMO, you get what you pay for. And $75 might not get you want you think it will.

If you're willing to go to $150, there are several good choices that everyone has already mentioned. For me the choice would be a JOSS cue off of eBay. In fact, I'm pretty much done recommending anything else at that price range.

BTW, the FURY cues at under $100 have decal decoration. That may or may not be a big influence in your decision. I have one.

Fred

Bob_in_Cincy
03-12-2004, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DMoney1644:</font><hr> i've decided it's about time to buy my own cue. im looking for something about $100 or less, preferably around $75. <hr /></blockquote>
.... If you're willing to go to $150, there are several good choices that everyone has already mentioned. For me the choice would be a JOSS cue off of eBay. In fact, I'm pretty much done recommending anything else at that price range. .......
Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I always hesitate to recommend a particular brand of cue when questions like this come up, but I agree with this 100%. I know a number of guys with relatively low-end Joss cues that wouldn't part with them. In fact, I have a Joss limited edition that I use a lot.

Regards,
Bob

DMoney1644
03-12-2004, 01:46 PM
unless anyone has a good reason not to, im going to buy the lucasi 2000SP. i simply don't have the money for anything above that plus this is my first personal cue so i don't exactly need a balabushka. and if i ever wanted to i could upgrade to a predator shaft, right? i also don't have a chance to try any of them out, i already checked around /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif i like the style of the sneaky pete a lot more. the lucasi isn't particularly sneaky, but at least it's not screaming "hey! i have my own personal cue! i think im the sh!t!"

EDIT: im from kaysville up in davis county

pooltchr
03-12-2004, 03:02 PM
I don't think you will be disappointed.

tgscordv6
03-12-2004, 03:39 PM
How about a Mark Bear custom Sneaky Pete for a little more? It is full spliced.

http://www.bearcues.com/cue1.htm

Kato
03-12-2004, 05:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DMoney1644:</font><hr>and if i ever wanted to i could upgrade to a predator shaft, right? <hr /></blockquote>

Who says this is an upgrade?

Kato~~~just my opinion.

stick8
03-14-2004, 12:11 PM
start with acutex no dings easy to clean, not to expensive good cue STICK

DMoney1644
03-14-2004, 06:40 PM
ordered my lucasi sneaky pete yesterday. should have it in less than a week. can't wait to start playing with it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif