PDA

View Full Version : Joe Porper's Traveling Cue Case Bag

Barbara
04-24-2002, 07:57 PM
Okay, so I ordered two of these traveling cue cases from Joe Porper, and I have to say that I am impressed with them. They're heavy canvas with some padding inside. This will prevent scuff marks on my Instroke case. The zippers are heavy duty, and with the help of a mini Master Lock, I'll feel a bit more secure.

But I'm still torn with checking my cues in with baggage. So I'm pleading for answers from all of you out there that play pool and fly. I should've asked Ying-Ya what she did last weekend when she flew in from Chi-town, but I forgot.

What do you think the odds are of me getting onboard the plane with my traveling cue case locked?

What are my odds of me asking the airline check-in people to check my "Babies" in with the crew's luggage?

And lastly, how much can I insure these bags for and where do I do this?

Barbara~~~~really, really nervous about her babies...

Tom_In_Cincy
04-24-2002, 08:22 PM
Barbara,
"Torn" is what I would be.. Case, cues and trinkets in pouches.. worth more than just money.

Maybe a call to the airlines to check if locked cases are allowed?

Tough decision

Chris Cass
04-24-2002, 08:23 PM
Well Barbara,

Question 1. 1/1,000,000
Question 2. 1/1,000,000

Called checked with the airlines. It's considered a weapon, but feel free to bring a cane on. That's only for walking.

Can't believe it myself,

C.C.

Sid_Vicious
04-24-2002, 08:28 PM
George Carlin had a skit about this security on planes, and said that the big SOBs with gorilla hands should be checked as baggage. Take a master black belt, shouldn't they be checked also? This logic about pool sticks as weapons is a farce, the terrorists are winning our liberties away with this crap...sid

Barbara
04-24-2002, 08:39 PM
LOL! Yeah Tom, I think I should take out all those "love notes" my sweetie writes me and that I leave in the one pouch. God forbid I should use those as a terroristic manifest LOL!!

Barbara~~~still sweating the check-in baggage issue...

Barbara
04-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Damn, this is not what I wanted to hear!!

Who can give me the low-down on insuring bags?? Limit, where to go to do this, etc....

Barbara~~~not jiggy on flying and waaaaay less jiggy on checking cues.... HELP!!!

rackmup
04-25-2002, 05:10 AM
Maybe I was just lucky but when I flew home to Phoenix (on America West a few weeks ago), I asked about my cues. I explained they were very expensive, I was worried about my case being scratched, I wasn't comfortable with them wrapped in bubble-wrap, secured inside a steel vault and padlocked with a bullet-proof lock and steel cable.

They hesitated for a moment but said it could be stored in the forward cabin, well away from my seat, in the First Class area.

I was met with mild resistance at the X-Ray machine. I explained that I had made arrangements with the airline and was allowed to proceed to the gate. Once at the gate, I stood in line for my boarding pass and showed them my cues. When I boarded the plane, the Flight Attendant at the door to the plane, took my cues and gently placed them in an overhead bin. End of story.

Barbara...call your airline and plead your case. It might all work out.

Good luck,

Ken (remember, be cautious when opening overhead bins as someone else's luggage may have shifted during the flight in preparation to hit you in the head while looking for your cue case!)

Doctor_D
04-25-2002, 05:14 AM
Good morning:

I would indeed discuss the matter with your airline and, if they do not object to your carrying the cues onboard, have them issue a letter or memorandum to you stating their approval.

As a very frequent flyer, I have requested and the airline is considering the issuance of a special pass for my travels with my cues.

Dr. D.

BillPorter
04-25-2002, 05:51 AM
Barbara, my Porper case is scheduled to arrive this morning...maybe even as I write this reply. So I was glad to see that you are favorably impressed with the cases. I'll be flying from Cincinnati to Dallas next week and wanted to take a cue (and maybe bring back one from shopping at Hawleys). I will be interested in what you find out about insurance. I figured to just put on a small padlock and check the case with my luggage. Just be sure that your name/address is firmly attached to the travel case and the odds against anything bad happening to your cues are extremely in your favor.

04-25-2002, 08:33 AM
Hiya Barbara,

Another way to send & insure your stuff would be to ship it to the hotel via Fed Ex or UPS. If you call ahead the hotel Business Center will hold the package in a locked room. As far as insurance, UPS of Fed Ex will insure it for almost any amount. For example: If you ship a 5 lb package,about 35inches in length, insured for $3000, from NJ to LAS- it'll run ya about $20 for UPS ground. Make sure you send it a week in advance. UPS ground will take from 5-7 bus. days. Also, take pictures of your stuff and have sales receipts if possible. That way, if you make a claim, you'll get paid.

Go luck in Vegas! If I get a chance to go, I'd love to catch up with you guys!

Eric >work kills ALL of my vices

Barbara
04-25-2002, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the info Ken. This is what I need to know. I'll be flying America West to Vegas, too. If the could store them in a forward cabin, I'd be happy.

Barbara

Chris Cass
04-25-2002, 10:36 AM
Hi Barbara,

The airlines told me $1500. max. That will cover 4 shafts and my JJustis case. My question was who's gonna cover my butt?

Homeowners,

C.C.

Doctor_D
04-25-2002, 10:41 AM
Good afternoon:

American Express, if you use their card to purchase your airline tickets, has a personal property insurance program for checked baggage. Premiums are only charged when tickets are purchased and the program will provide coverage up to $2,500.00 regardless of any other coverage you might have.

Dr. D.

Barbara
04-25-2002, 06:30 PM
Eric,

That means I'll be without my cue for the week before. Nah, I thought about it, but no way. I'm going to talk to the airline people and see if they'll stow them up front somewhere.

BTW, do you shoot at Comet Billiards regularly? I was wondering if the tables are a little lower than usual because I definitely felt like I was down too low on my shots.

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
04-25-2002, 06:48 PM
I have known workers with UPS and their story is that if there is any kind of jams in all the packages, i.e. on the conveyer or in manually toppling(yes that's what they do to speed up things) a layer in the truck upon unloading, that the lengthy rectangular packages are grabbed to be used as pry bars. I once had a rifle barrel bent by UPS and I just know that this was the mode of operation that got the job done...sid~~~would really be hesitent to ship my cues with UPS or FedEx

04-26-2002, 08:06 AM
Here's another thought- 2 day air the package?

Aa far as Comet, I'm rarely there. I live about 1/2 hr south of there(Somerset)and can be found in either Elite or Cue and Brew. We get some strong players in there(Dan Basavich,Kevin Freeman,...)
I noticed the same thing about the tables! I shot a little on table 16 and thought maybe I grew? Puberty?

Eric >gonna stop taking Flintstones vitamins

Nostroke
04-26-2002, 07:42 PM
Havent seen him or even seen his name in any tournaments in the last 6-8 months. Seen him recently? Any reason he doesn't get around much anymore?

Eric.
04-27-2002, 08:40 AM
Nostroke,

Fat Danny..I mean Kid Delicious(he used to be known as Fat Danny) has been on the road. Last time I spoke to him,he was hanging out in Canada.

Eric

04-27-2002, 09:17 PM
I've flown several times since 9-11. I wrap each butt and shaft in bubble wrap, pack half my clothes, then wedge the shafts and butts in my suitcase diagonally. Then I cover them with the remainder of my clothes. Then I carry on my empty case. Never had a problem.

In fact, three days before San Diego I dropped my cue (smart) and got a 6 inch crack right down the shaft. The thing sounded like broken glass every time I hit with it. Schuler couldn't make me another shaft from the same wood lot in time for the tournament so I had to have a cue guy crazy glue the crack. Now, if my glued shaft held up in the cargo bin of an airplane, anything will hold up.

Everybody...don't sweat the travel. It's not a big deal. Really.

Fran

cuechick
04-28-2002, 10:37 AM
Fran,
I think that's good advice (don't sweat it), I have the porper case, and have written my name all over it. I do plan to ask for a rider and if it can be stowed with the crews stuff, but if not I am sure it will be fine. I figure it does not hurt to ask...
I do not see much difference in Fed Exing it other than it will not be with me, which I thick is the BIG disadvantage.
I recently had something fed ex to me from Cali, and when I got it it was so warm! It was on one of unusally hot NY days and it had been sitting in the guys truck all day...I'd much prefer it be on the same plane I'm on...I do recomend you Id it inside and out...!
Vegas is just 10 days away!!!!!! VIVA LAS VEGAS!

Barbara
04-28-2002, 04:16 PM
So Bill,

What do you think of the bag?

Barbara~~~still impressed....

Barbara
04-28-2002, 05:07 PM
Yeah Fran, you're right. The bigger an issue I make out of it, the bigger the hole in my stomach gets.

I'm just going to try and get it in with the crew's luggage. If it happens, so be it!

Barbara