PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope with fatigue?

dooziexx
03-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Yesterday I played in a 64 man, single elimination 9 ball tourney. I managed to take 3rd/4th place but it was a tiring event. I had to play my final 4 matches (race to 7 each) all back to back, with only about a 5 minute break in between them. By the time I reached my semi-final match, I was worn out both physically and mentally. My play was well below average and I lost. Im sure many of you here have played in tourneys like this before. I had a good nights rest before and I ate a little meal before the tourney and kept myself hyrdrated through out the entire event. How do you handle this kind of fatigue?? This has happened to me many times before and it has prevented me from going into the finals and winning it all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Cass
03-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Hi Dooz,

I find you must eliminate boredom. Lighten your case if your carrying it. Lay it down moreso than carrying it. If you must carry it. Hold it by the side not on the sholder. This, is good. If they have ice cream sandwich bars? Two of them will be great before a match when fatigue sets in a bit. Sit as much as possible. Just don't pick anywhere. If possible look for a lounge chair.

The best thing is to stay busy mentally. Just like on a Mon at work. LOL Beofre your match, watch a match to get back in the game. Take a bathroom break and splash the face. Refresh yourself. Then, go play.

You should plan your time as much as possible. Say, take dinner on the 1st hr of a 2hr wait. Give yourself time to relax and enjoy the meal. This is a relaxing time. Time to just enjoy life a little.

Now, if your at a smoked filled joint. No good place to sit and relax. The place is beating you down. Then, I suggest taking a walk outside. Make sure you talk to the TD and see how much time you have. I've went so far as to go out to the car. Listen to some relaxing music and take a slight snooze. Not the best advice but, it's something. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If your going to an event like the Expo in PA. Then, plan the time to meet friends, visit booths you want and steal cues, I mean look at cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif My luck I won't have any energy to leave the hotel. I just found out it's a 13hr drive. I can't drive three hrs without screaming with pain. Man, am I in trouble.

Regards and Good luck,

C.C.

Keith Talent
03-08-2004, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> My luck I won't have any energy to leave the hotel. I just found out it's a 13hr drive. I can't drive three hrs without screaming with pain. Man, am I in trouble.
C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Just 13 from the Mighty Mississip? Man, you must like to put your foot down. Used to take me about 20 from N.Y.C. to Columbia, Mo., where I went to school.

So, do you get shooting pains down your legs on long drives? Or is this related to your previous illness? The leg thing is something I developed after getting back into the game and putting in some long sessions.

Only thing that has kept me on the road is cruise control ... and twisting my legs up like a pretzel. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
03-08-2004, 11:40 AM
You need to get there well rested. Get a good nights sleep the night before. If you have to play a long time there is not much you can do about, just be in good shape so you can play. On another note, I used to have a motor home that I took to tournaments. It was nice to be able to go outside between matches and just put my feet up and quietly rest. I could also get to the tournament the night before and be fresh and ready to play in the morning. I is tough drive 200 miles the morning of the tournament and then try to play. You know, just going out side and relaxing in your car could be a help, getting away from the noise and activity of the pool room for a few minutes can be good. Either way, you have to be in the shape to play, maybe lose some weight or alter your eating habits. A good book is "Eat to win" I forget the author.

dooziexx
03-08-2004, 12:50 PM
I did have a good night's rest the night before and the room is smoke filled. I had to go out a couple of times just to get some fresh air!!. Popcorn, I think you are right about being in shape to play. Im not in the best shape in the first place /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I should start eating right, take multi-vitamins everyday and lose some pounds. I have to do something. Always finishing 3rd/4th is not enough for me anymore especially in a tournament that I know I can take most of these guys...

SPetty
03-08-2004, 01:01 PM
One other thing, dooziexx, that should probably go without saying...

Stay on the winner's side. They usually get a break before that last match, while the loser's side is still playing.

Notice I said "they"... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris Cass
03-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Hi Keith,

No leg pains. Yes, it's related to my previous problems. I have no muscle what so ever. My rib cage is constantly giving me pain. Like I've been punched repeatedly or like I'm being given a bear hug. I'm getting stronger but still no relief. I take Vicadin for the pain every 3 hrs. This makes me feel stiff but able to deal with it. Vision is another story. Thanks for caring Keith. It's nice of you to ask. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Rich R.
03-09-2004, 04:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I just found out it's a 13hr drive. I can't drive three hrs without screaming with pain. Man, am I in trouble. <hr /></blockquote>
Chris, although I do not have your problems, I have a few of my own. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif For any long trip, I find it best to stop every hour and a half, if possible. Just a 5 minute stop to get out of the car and move around a little works wonders. Maybe take a little longer on every second or third stop.

For a 13 hour drive, I don't believe I would try to make it all in one day. I wouldn't be able to walk, when I got there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But that is me.

Plan to leave early and allow time for as many stops as you will need. It will pay off later. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith Talent
03-09-2004, 06:31 AM
CC,

As I expected, my driving troubles don't really compare with yours, but thought I'd toss that out. Road trips get tougher when you get old and gray, one way or another, I guess, eh? Used to look forward to them ... now it's an endurance test. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Luck on your journey to VF ... sounds like good tourney advice, too. Maybe it'll do me some good if I were to win a few matches some day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm thinking quick eats like Power Bars or whatever might keep the energy level up. It's pretty rough when you get rushed right back out to the table about 2 mins after you report a win ...

Chris Cass
03-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Hi Rich,

We all have our little difficulties to contend with. Mine no better or worse than others. I do the exact same thing on trips. I take a break around the same times. After driving I find it easy to move around in the seat. It seems to get me out of that stuck mode. It isn't hard to find yourself in the same position for an hr.

I plan on making some tapes to listen to to get past boredom while driving too. I thought of making some tournament tapes to sell to the public. LOL Pump music to get you on fire the whole way there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif The problem with this is everyone likes different things. LOL Another invention, that won't fly.

My friend tells me that I need to make it to the Indiana border like 6 hrs away. First he said to make it to Fort Dodge. Then, stay the night and 4 hrs left to drive. I don't want to take two days though. I plan on taking a long break about half way besides, all the short breaks. Being with Spike and all I won't be taking any chances of an accident.

I think I can do this Rich. I'm getting stronger and I do miss Barbara and Pete. I must meet Barry Szamboti. I only wish Heide was coming. You know shes been there for me for the last 2 yrs and I really haven't been anywhere without her in 2 yrs. I used to miss her terribly when I went to play in Mn tourneys but that was different then.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it buddy. My regards to Cathy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.

Rich R.
03-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Just drive safely and we will see you and Spike there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
03-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Hi Keith,

Old and grey? Naa, I just look old and my hair is grey, what's left of it anyway. LOL I don't feel old or atleast I didn't used to. I'm having a hard time dealing with the age thing. I must one day come to grips with it. I can't understand why we must get old. It seems like it shouldn't be.

Anyway, winning isn't easy for me. Tournament winning is way tough for me. It seems everyone I play shoots like God. Then, they turn around and lose to some shmuck, that can't make two balls. I used to have no problems with getting out the gate. It's all about that, when the bell rings. One day, I'll do something. Wonder when that day will come. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Pwr bars? Not a bad idea. When I report a win and they assign me a match, back to back. I always ask the TD for a bathroom break. I'll take that 5 mins to soak my head. That was the best message that came out of the movie, the Hustler. When Jackie came out refreshed and looking good it didn't mean much but when the camera pan'd over to Paul Newman well, you got the point quick. LOL It's true too.

RJ has a good one. He calls me before a match. When he's in a tournament. It must relax him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I like it too. I feel I helped him in some small way. Lord knows he needs all the help he can get. LOLLOL I do bring him luck though. Everytime we get into a tourney togather. He wins everything. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif So Keith, pm me and I'll give ya the cell #. Voodoo can attest, I always have it turned on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks for the kudos,

C.C.~~young, grey and looking old. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
03-09-2004, 09:07 AM
Hey Dooz,

One day we have to meet. Curious to where in Il. your from?

Regards,

C.C.~~likes your cue collection. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#### leonard
03-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Chris I would alawys give myself a pep talk in the mirror. My road buddy Dickie McConnell always thought I was on drugs. One day he followed me into the mens room and caught me giving myself my pep talk. I then went out and ran out on my opponent. After the match he told me I always thought you were taking drugs, no I always give myself a pep talk and then I usually run out.

I only played in one nineball tourney and watched one tourney. Nineball is like watching Grass Grow. That must be what wears one out####

SPetty
03-09-2004, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I'm having a hard time dealing with the age thing. I must one day come to grips with it. I can't understand why we must get old. It seems like it shouldn't be.<hr /></blockquote>Life is Backwards
The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? A death. What’s that, a bonus? I think the life cycle is all backwards.

You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you’re too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work. You work forty years until you’re young enough to enjoy your retirement. You do drugs, drink a lot of alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating... and you finish off as an orgasm.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Moline, IL US -
to
King Of Prussia, PA US

Total Est. Time: 13 hours, 41 minutes Total Est. Distance: 889.19 miles
=============================

Get a Chicago phone book, put it on the driver's seat, and let the spikemeister earn his keep. Oh wait he can't reach the pedals /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Never mind /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Sid_Vicious
03-09-2004, 09:30 AM
"you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating"

Well you know what they say, "A man spends 9 months in the womb in the beginning as a baby, gets born and spends the rest of his life trying to get back in." sid

Barbara
03-09-2004, 09:53 AM
CC,

Back to back matches at VF won't be happenin' until the last day. Besides, the match times are posted for the WHOLE tornament in advance. Besides, we have 5 other events going off that need to share the tables. In the first two days, you'll get at least 4 hours between matches. Plenty of time to hang with Barry. And me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But about your ride in - is there some kind of foam jacket you can wear to take the pressure off your rib cage? Like a life jacket for water sports? Would that help? I'm thinking it might keep you supported upwards under your arm pits while you're sitting. If you know someone who has one you might check it out.

Barbara

But what do I know?... I'm just some broad...

dooziexx
03-09-2004, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hey Dooz,

One day we have to meet. Curious to where in Il. your from?

Regards,

C.C.~~likes your cue collection. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

CC,
I live in Aurora, IL. If you are in Moline, I think you can take I88 East and you'll hit it. Next time you are in the Chicagoland area, give me a buzz and we'll meet up for a few racks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
03-09-2004, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I can't understand why we must get old. It seems like it shouldn't be. <hr /></blockquote>
Keep in mind, "it is better than the alternative." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
03-09-2004, 10:43 AM
In a long tournament, I have to certainly limit my alcohol consumption. That's number one! One or two beers is usually enough to lessen any first game jitters. I become sick at times if I get too nervous, but I'm usually okay if I get past the first game. If I can shoot without any beer, that's even better. If I have a long delay between games, I usually do best to leave the tournament and have something light to eat. If I still have time, I like to sit in my truck, tilt back the seat, and listen to some music. The atmosphere of a large tournament is not often very relaxing. When I have the chance, I like change my environment. Chris sounds a lot like me in that respect. If I make it to the late rounds, coffee or tea is my drink of choice. I'm not a soda drinker. Comfortable shoes help and a good nights sleep before the tournament helps also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif