PDA

View Full Version : THIRTY-THREE YEARS AGO

Cueless Joey
03-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Joe Frazier and Ali fought in The Fight of the Century.
Yeah, you are getting old if you saw it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
03-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Even worse - I saw the Clay-Liston fight at the Bellevue drive-in in Memphis. I think it was on a double feature with "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte".

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
03-09-2004, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> ...if you saw it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If you saw it? Who didn't? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
03-09-2004, 09:01 AM
I had friends who went to the second Clay-Liston fight, IIRC, in New York. They didn't want to see the preliminary matches and got there late.
They were just sitting down, looked up, and the referee said, "your out." /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I didn't think they got their moneys worth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chris Cass
03-09-2004, 09:12 AM
JimS was there when boxing was invented. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just trying to add to the conversation. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~in hiding.

Cueless Joey
03-09-2004, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I had friends who went to the second Clay-Liston fight, IIRC, in New York. They didn't want to see the preliminary matches and got there late.
They were just sitting down, looked up, and the referee said, "your out." /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I didn't think they got their moneys worth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Poor sukkers. That fight was rigged. The ref was Jersey Joe Walcott who was so confused what to do when Liston went down after the "phantom punch". He was consulting with an official while Liston was acting on the mat. Liston got up and Clay attacked him. The timekeeper tells Joe Liston was down for the 10-count. Liston loses.
Liston dies in Vegas years later on a drug overdose by injection IN HIS BACK. Is that suspicious or what?
Liston was also illeterate and had a phobia for needles.
Joey~Boxing Historian~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-09-2004, 09:45 AM
"They were just sitting down, looked up, and the referee said, "your out." I didn't think they got their moneys worth"

Reminds me of being at a friends house for one of the early Tyson fights on the satellite, $59.99 pay-per-view. The guy had a full keg, food laid out in grandioso style, we watched all of the lead in fights, Tyson and Spinks began, Mark slipped out to the kitchen for a refill and when he came back the fight was over, all in about 30 seconds. Bummer...sid~~~me thinks somebody took the dive for the easy cash, and the paying public was ripped off

Rich R.
03-09-2004, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> That fight was rigged. The ref was Jersey Joe Walcott who was so confused what to do when Liston went down after the "phantom punch". <hr /></blockquote>
Everyone thought it was fixed, at the time, but, IIRC, I saw a slow motion replay, years later, and Clay hit Liston solid. Clay was so fast, at that time, you could not see the punch connect, without the benefit of slow motion.

BTW, I new a guy, back then, that had done a little sparring with Clay. He told me that Clay's left hand was so fast, you couldn't see it coming until your head was being snapped back. Unbelievable. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
03-09-2004, 11:42 AM
I would have been about 18 or 19 years old then. I was bullet-proof, and probably thought I could have beat him then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif