PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth to change to a 314 shaft on a custom?

TheFish
03-09-2004, 01:13 AM
I have a Gilbert with 2 13mm shafts. Anyways, I cant play 13mm..ever since i played with a predator as my first real cue, playing anything else just feels different. I buoght the gilbert cuz everyone told me the hit is great, but its just not reight for me..it doesnt have the solid hit i like (i have only gotten that feeling from a custom huebler). The problem is that both these shafts are SLIGHTLY warped (humid here in asia), so now I emailed Gilbert (or is it John ?) about changing to a 12.75 shaft like the 314 shaft. Or getting a 314 sahft done by gilbert.

Here is my question (money aside), is it stupid to change to a 314 shaft? If i cahnge to a 314 shaft, then whats the point of getting a custom right? the hit is really in the shaft and tip right (the joint matters too i guess.but i dunno).

what u guys think..what would u do? Shoudl i giev my cue a "second chance" and get a gilbert 12.75 so that i can feel like its still a faithful 100% true gilbert..or just get a 314 (which will also be done up by andy?)

Regards:)

Sid_Vicious
03-09-2004, 08:51 AM
I'm biased in this one, I love Gilbert cues, so I wouldn't hesitate to let Andy cut me one at 12.75 if I had the cash(actually I'd learn to shoot with the full 13mm.) I hit with a McDermott last night that had the factory shaft and ferulle cut down to 12.75 on purpose, and it played really nice. Maybe you can send at least one if not both of the Gilbert shafts back to Andy and he could whittle them down to 12.75. Might be cheaper, and just maybe that wobble will go away...sid

Btw, the 314 IMO wouldn't be the route to take. sv

Leviathan
03-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Greetings, Fish.

If you don't think that your 13mm Gilbert shafts feel solid enough, then you shouldn't expect to like the feel of a thinner Gilbert shaft with the same taper form.

It's true that Predator 314 shafts have a tip diameter of 12.75mm and a long, thin, front taper, but they're pretty stiff--probably as a result of their laminated construction and the materials used. If you know and like the Predator feel, then it makes perfect sense to get a Predator shaft for your Gilbert. If apperance is an issue, you can have a cuemaker put Gilbert-type rings on a Predator blank. Gilbert makes good-looking cues. I think it might be well worth the extra money to get the matching ring work.

Just my opinions...

AS

rocky
03-09-2004, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Greetings, Fish.

If you don't think that your 13mm Gilbert shafts feel solid enough, then you shouldn't expect to like the feel of a thinner Gilbert shaft with the same taper form.

It's true that Predator 314 shafts have a tip diameter of 12.75mm and a long, thin, front taper, but they're pretty stiff--probably as a result of their laminated construction and the materials used. If you know and like the Predator feel, then it makes perfect sense to get a Predator shaft for your Gilbert. If apperance is an issue, you can have a cuemaker put Gilbert-type rings on a Predator blank. Gilbert makes good-looking cues. I think it might be well worth the extra money to get the matching ring work.
<hr /></blockquote>

An actual answer that was inteligent and to the point without slamming something or someone...This guy should run for president!

tateuts
03-09-2004, 01:17 PM
I think it's worth it, especially since your other shafts are warped. If you can have one made up that matches your joint/rings, I would do it that way.

As far as your question - a lot of players have custom cues with Predator shafts. Nothing wrong with that. I have a JossWest with two regular shafts and a Predator. If you think that's bad, I'm thinking of ordering a Tiger X shaft too!

Chris

cycopath
03-09-2004, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>I'm thinking of ordering a Tiger X shaft
<hr /></blockquote>

Please do, then let all your friends here on the CCB know what you think of it. Thanks in advance.

Leviathan
03-09-2004, 04:59 PM
(No content)

TheFish
03-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys/gals (if any). I think if i keep the gilbert i will probably send the shafts to get tapered down and also order one 314 shaft (andy said he can do the predator with shipping with teh rings to match my cue for 195 - good deal i think).

The only thing now is whether i am keeping the gilbert.i Might try to sell it...i am scrounging around the web looking for a nice capone to pick up /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul_Mon
03-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Below is a reprint of my Blackheart/314 review from 2001. Part two deals with the hit of a 314 on custom cues. BTW,since that time I've also used a 314 on a Southwest it hit great too.

Blackheart review - Part 1 10/09/2001

My much anticipated Blackheart cue finally arrived this week. It is everything that I had expected in terms of looks. The fit and finish are perfect and Jerryís abilities are apparent even upon close inspection. There are no bubbles, voids or surface contaminants in the clear finish; I looked with a 7X loupe. My engineering background makes it difficult appraise value without gathering data. In that vein I measured certain attributes of this cue and was impressed with the results. The six Tulipwood points (pointy points of course) consisting of three high and three low were all aligned to within .003Ē. Total circular runout (how straight) of the shaft and butt were each measured separately, as I donít have the means to measure anything longer than 36Ē. The shaft deviated from perfect form by .006Ē and the butt was less than .003Ē. BTW, a piece of paper is about .004Ē.
Aesthetically, this cue is pleasing to the eye and a near perfect marriage of the materials chosen. I say near perfect because, IMO using some exotic (gold, silver, etc) inlays would enhance the beauty. The ebony forearm would be complimented most by these additions. The grip section is a very nice piece of fiddleback or curly Maple and it is neat to view this when rotating or pivoting the cue, it seems to change colors and effervesce. Additionally, the fits at the joint rings, ferrule, butt sleeve are all seamless. Jerry made this cue with a Blackheart shaft and at the same time insured that a new Predator shaft matched as well. I donít know if this was easy or difficult for him considering what dictates the final diameters but Jer did a great job insuring that both shafts match up well.
Unfortunately, Iíve been tied up lately and have a limited amount of playing time with this cue. My initial reaction is that the hit is extremely solid feeling with a pleasant audible feedback. Jer installed a Talisman MH WB layered tip on his shaft and I will be evaluating this tip too. Iíll have some photos eventually and will put them up on a website. Thatís all for now.

Blackheart review - Part 2 10/15/2001

I now have about 25 hours of playing time with this cue. I used it with the Blackheart shaft for about 6 hours and then tried the 314 shaft. Iím sorry Jer but I can not give up the 314 shaft. I just havenít found any other shaft that eliminates as much squirt as the 314. I guess after using one for the last 6 years I can not adjust, with confidence, to any other shaft.
That said I must admit that this Blackheart/314 combination is by far and away the best combination Iíve tried. I have used 314 shafts on 314 butts, Meucci butts, Showcase butts and Schon butts. It has the most feel of any of the combinations. I have the most time using my 314 on a Meucci butt and really missed the softer feel that the Meucci shaft. This new Blackheart combination delivers superb feel and a real nice sound, both of which make playing more enjoyable for me.
The three players that Iíve asked to look at and hit the Blackheart all agreed that it was extremely well made had a solid hit with good feedback. BTW, two of these players preferred the Blackheart shaft vs. the 314 shaft. Neither uses a 314 and the other fellow who preferred the 314 also uses a 314 now. His comments were identical to mine in that it is the best hitting 314 heís ever tried. One of these guys thinks that Jerryís cues could sell for at least 40% more than what he charges. This guy knows cues and cue prices. All in all these three guys were impressed with the cue in terms of quality, looks, playability and price. Two thumbs up JER