PDA

View Full Version : How hard do you pick your tip?

cycopath
03-09-2004, 10:26 AM
When you pick your tip do you actually use force or just let the weight of the pick just barely penetrate the tip?

I like to just barely prick the surface of the tip, but I was wondering if I did it harder (getting the pick deeper) would I not have to pick the tip as often. Although I don't want to wear out the tip early by tearing the layers up from picking too hard.

What works best for you?

Iowashark
03-09-2004, 10:38 AM
I don't pick hard at all, just enough to get a slight perforation that will help hold the chalk. I've actually been advised not to pick at all on a layered tip, but I still do it. A friend of mine does the stab and twist technique and he goes through tips pretty quickly.

Barbara
03-09-2004, 10:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr>Although I don't want to wear out the tip early by tearing the layers up from picking too hard.

<font color="blue">As I found out with two Moori tips in 9 months...</font color>

What works best for you? <hr /></blockquote>

Cyco, put the Tip Pik down and step away from it.

Good.

Barbara~~~former Tip Killer...

But what do I know?... I'm just some broad...

TommyT
03-09-2004, 11:29 AM
I use Talisman and periodicly roll the pick across the tip exerting a little pressure. Never stab and or twist. I also chalk heavily before so the pick induces the chalk into the tip.
TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Troy
03-09-2004, 01:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr>Although I don't want to wear out the tip early by tearing the layers up from picking too hard.

<font color="blue">As I found out with two Moori tips in 9 months...</font color>

What works best for you? <hr /></blockquote>

Cyco, put the Tip Pik down and step away from it.

Good.

Barbara~~~former Tip Killer...

But what do I know?... I'm just some broad... <hr /></blockquote>
I just love it when folks use a Pic on layered tips -- it means more work for me. Thanks for using the Pic. Press and twist real hard... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy

KingMing
03-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Hi.
I'm English and as you probably know English pool is crap - slow cloth, small pockets &amp; balls etc. It's just too hard to play quickly and ends up being way too tactical for my liking. (don't worry, I'm getting to the point)

Because of the small balls English pool is better played with a snooker cue, and a small piece of sandpaper is the perfect thing for snooker tip treatment. My question is - what is a tip pic? I play american pool as often as I get the chance to and have a decent cue, but my sandpaper seems to do hardly anything to the tip. when I read this discussion I thought you guys may be able to help????
Damn this stubborn little country I live in,
regards,
KingMing VIII

SPetty
03-09-2004, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KingMing:</font><hr>My question is - what is a tip pic?<hr /></blockquote> http://www.ukpool.com/images/shop/340_1063377533Tip-Pik.jpg

Wally_in_Cincy
03-09-2004, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KingMing:</font><hr>
Damn this stubborn little country I live in,
<hr /></blockquote>

You could come over here. Just go thru Mexico.

KingMing
03-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Thank you.
Never seen one anywhere in England, not even on our ebay. I assume they're available online? I'll have a search anyway but if there's an official site or something someone could suggest it'd be appreciated.
Regards,
Ming

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
You could come over here. Just go thru Mexico. <hr /></blockquote>

I'll come over when you get rid of Bush (no offence to anyone who actually likes him). Would u prefer to have a King?

Ming

Frank_Glenn
03-09-2004, 02:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KingMing:</font><hr> Thank you.
Never seen one anywhere in England, not even on our ebay. I assume they're available online? I'll have a search anyway but if there's an official site or something someone could suggest it'd be appreciated.
Regards,
Ming

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
You could come over here. Just go thru Mexico. <hr /></blockquote>

I'll come over when you get rid of Bush (no offence to anyone who actually likes him). Would u prefer to have a King?

Ming <hr /></blockquote>

http://www.billiardsexpress.com/
Look for tip pick products on your left, about 1/3 of the way down the list. These are sewing machine needles or some such, in a brass case. Works OK, but I like a tapper better. YMMV

SPetty
03-09-2004, 03:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KingMing:</font><hr> Never seen one anywhere in England, not even on our ebay. I assume they're available online?<hr /></blockquote>The pic I posted was from http://www.ukpool.com/ . That's in your neighborhood, eh?

Bob_Jewett
03-09-2004, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KingMing:</font><hr> Thank you. Never seen one anywhere in England, not even on our ebay. I assume they're available online?<hr /></blockquote>

If you want to save yourself 90% of the cost, just glue a piece of #200 or so sandpaper to a small board. Roll -- do not scrape -- the sandpaper on the tip, so that you just leave the impression of the sand without removing leather. If you want to be fancy, glue finer paper to the other side for side-of-the-tip maintenance.

KingMing
03-09-2004, 05:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
If you want to save yourself 90% of the cost, just glue a piece of #200 or so sandpaper to a small board...<hr /></blockquote>

I'll give it a try,
Many thanks.
KingMing VIII

If you can't beat em, eat em

Sid_Vicious
03-09-2004, 07:37 PM
"I just love it when folks use a Pic on layered tips -- it means more work for me. Thanks for using the Pic."

Yea, it is good for business, and yet I hate seeing a fine tip get abused. I legendary local installer told me once, "Keep on jabbing at that tip, it keeps customers coming back sooner." That was ten years ago, and it wasn't until about 4 years back that I totally quit all of my tip attacks. I don't even carry pics, tappers or scuffers in my case anymore. Old habits are hard to break...sid

pooltchr
03-10-2004, 06:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>If you want to save yourself 90% of the cost, just glue a piece of #200 or so sandpaper to a small board. Roll -- do not scrape -- the sandpaper on the tip, so that you just leave the impression of the sand without removing leather. If you want to be fancy, glue finer paper to the other side for side-of-the-tip maintenance. <hr /></blockquote>
You can also use an emery board...every drug store sells them, or if you are married, you can probably find one on your wife's dresser.

Chris Cass
03-10-2004, 09:35 AM
That's "Tip Monger". LOL I, now hold the title. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~I never forgot that. LOLLOLLOL