PDA

View Full Version : Kerry attempt to dodge military

eg8r
03-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Well, it seems that some more news is starting to leak out about Kerry's military past. I am wondering just how soon the "conservative" media will be flooding the US markets with this new find... [ QUOTE ]
Senator John Kerry, the presumed Democratic presidential candidate who is trading on his Vietnam war record to campaign against President George W Bush, tried to defer his military service for a year, according to a newly rediscovered article in a Harvard University newspaper.

Senator Kerry on the campaign trail in Iowa
He wrote to his local recruitment board seeking permission to spend a further 12 months studying in Paris, after completing his degree course at Yale University in the mid-1960s.

The revelation appears to undercut Sen Kerry's carefully-cultivated image as a man who willingly served his country in a dangerous war - in supposed contrast to President Bush, who served in the Texas National Guard and thus avoided being sent to Vietnam.
<hr /></blockquote> Hmmmm, does not sound like the come-and-get-me war hero so far. It is also strange that this information is coming out of the UK. Why, if the American media is so conservatively biased, wouldn't this information be flooding our TV every night? Well, maybe it will be, lets just give that huge conservative media force a few days to push off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

This is going to be a great 8 months and I am sure we are going to hear a lot about the credibility (note, I did not make any mention of his patriotism, these are two different things) of John "flip flop" Kerry. I am guessing this is why he is so upset at McAuliffe for starting that battle with Bush and the National Guard.

Oh yeah, here is the rest of the article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/03/07/wkerr07.xml&amp;sSheet=/portal/2004/03/07/ixportaltop.html) .

One more interesting quote from the article... [ QUOTE ]
A newly-published biography of Sen Kerry by Douglas Brinkley, A Tour of Duty, makes no mention of the requested deferment or planned year in Paris. At the time, it was still unclear just how long America would remain in Vietnam, and it might have seemed that a year's deferral of service could render enlistment unnecessary.

..."This means that Kerry didn't jump into all that heroic service until he was pushed, and it is a very nice piece of information," said Lucianne Goldberg, a prominent Republican campaigner.
<hr /></blockquote>

Alright, alright, I know that some may not open the link and read the rest so I will pick one more interesting quote that leads to plenty speculation... [ QUOTE ]
Republican strategists for President Bush were already investigating Sen Kerry's record of three wounds sustained in Vietnam. "We find that he had only one day off sick - with three wounds? What exactly were these wounds?" she asked.
<hr /></blockquote> That is a fair question, right?

eg8r

Steve - Detroit
03-09-2004, 07:34 PM
I've no doubt there are plenty of sins in Kerry's past but not everyone during that time had influential daddies that could get their sons in cushy air national guard units. Kerry was there and Georgie wasn't, that's a fact and no further speculation is needed.

SPelinga
03-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Yep... Bush is certainly the superior soldier of the two.

http://theonion.com/images/369/article2719.jpg

eg8r
03-10-2004, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've no doubt there are plenty of sins in Kerry's past but not everyone during that time had influential daddies that could get their sons in cushy air national guard units. Kerry was there and Georgie wasn't, that's a fact and no further speculation is needed. <hr /></blockquote> Well if that is enough for you, then so be it.

However, I find it interesting that in the early 90's Kerry was vocal about not splitting the country because of Clinton's military past, however this election, he seems to make that the number one issue. A bit of a flip flop. Then he goes on to tell everyone what an amazing war hero he was and talking about Bush not going to Vietnam, when it was Kerry that was trying to get out of being drafted. He only enlisted when he could not get out of the draft. It is also interesting that Kerry was wounded 3 times over there but only needed 1 day of sick time. I am wondering if he twisted his elbow while pushing people in front of him during gun-fire while floating along the river.

eg8r

eg8r
03-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Did you feel my original post was trying to make a comparison, which would prompt you to include that pic?

eg8r &lt;~~~thinks the pic is funny, he looks goofy like gomer pyle /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-10-2004, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> eg8r &lt;~~~thinks the pic is funny, he looks goofy like gomer pyle /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I think the pic is doctored

He still looks better than this guy:

http://www.karendecoster.com/dukakis.jpg

Wally_in_Cincy
03-10-2004, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve - Detroit:</font><hr> I've no doubt there are plenty of sins in Kerry's past but not everyone during that time had influential daddies that could get their sons in cushy air national guard units. Kerry was there and Georgie wasn't, that's a fact and no further speculation is needed. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve,

I don't know how old you are but vitually everybody was trying to get out of going to Vietnam.

eg8r
03-10-2004, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how old you are but vitually everybody was trying to get out of going to Vietnam. <hr /></blockquote> Agreed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My only problem is that he comes across as the guy that could not wait to get out there and he never was that type of person.

I have a question that I wonder about (this is because of my limited knowledge about the draft and the actual death rates in Vietnam)...When Kerry was originally drafted, was it into the Army? He enlisted into the Navy I believe, so this leads me to my next question...Which of the two had the least amount of casualties? Least amount of "action"?

My only reason for asking these questions, is that I would think that going into the draft at a young age, Kerry might have figured he would have less of a chance of getting killed if he joined the Navy, so instead of being drafted into the Army did he decide to go into the Navy? I might be way off, in how the draft/enlistment at the time worked, but I don't think the idea behind it all was too far from the truth for Kerry or any other man during that time.

eg8r

Steve - Detroit
03-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Wally,
That was my point, just poorly stated I guess. I don't fault anyone for exhausting all the legal options that were available at the time. The point is, when the inevitable was staring him in the face, he went.
And btw, I'm 53.

eg8r,
You are absolutely correct on your statements about enlistment vs. the draft. I knew alot of guys who opted for a longer hitch in the navy or air force rather than be drafted. They would have preferred the national guard but if you didn't have connections, at least here in MI, your chances of getting in were slim to none.

SPelinga
03-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Actually, Dick Cheney is much more talented than George Bush in regards to hand to hand combat. Here is a picture of Dick Cheney resolving an argument with an aide. Cheney claims to have learned the maneuver from Ric Flair.

http://theonion.com/images/370/image_article2297_160x114.jpg

md10024
04-27-2004, 02:04 PM
It seems like I stumbled on bizarro world in this thread! What a joke!

Since when is enlisting in the Navy and serving two tours in Vietnam an "attempt to dodge military"?! Not only that but he unequivocally volunteered for one of the most hazardous duties on a swift boat and went on over ~18 missions up the Mekong Delta. His military record speaks for itself.

Unlike our current current president who scored 25 out of a 100 on his pilot aptitude test and was mostly absent for his "champagne" guard duty.

Bush our wartime president approved the "escape" of over 30 members of the bin Laden family on Sep 13, 2001 when all private aircraft were grounded.

Cheney got 3 draft deferments because he had "better things to do"

wake UP!

md10024
04-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Are you an idiot or do you just think like one?

No soldier "puts in" for a purple heart, they are automatically granted when wounded.

Isn't being wounded in action 3 times enough for you?

I notice you are ignoring the issue of his silver and bronze stars

eg8r
04-27-2004, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like I stumbled on bizarro world in this thread! What a joke!

Since when is enlisting in the Navy and serving two tours in Vietnam an "attempt to dodge military"?! <hr /></blockquote> Well I must say, you did a fine job closing your eyes while reading, and then completely turning off the brain when responding. No where in the post did I say he successfully dodged the military, so go back and read it again. If you are still unable to comprehend the quote (written in english) then this is probably going to be a tough place for ya.

To help out, here is the portion of the quote that I was referring to (the rest of the quote was just the backup info)... [ QUOTE ]
Senator John Kerry, the presumed Democratic presidential candidate who is trading on his Vietnam war record to campaign against President George W Bush, tried to defer his military service for a year, according to a newly rediscovered article in a Harvard University newspaper.
<hr /></blockquote> How that is so tough to understand is anyones guess.

eg8r

Nightstalker
04-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Kerry's Purple Hearts (http://www.aldaynet.org/blog/archives/kerrys_purple_hearts_are_a_joke.php)

eg8r
04-27-2004, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you an idiot or do you just think like one? <font color="red"> Just remember, you started it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

No soldier "puts in" for a purple heart, they are automatically granted when wounded. <font color="red"> Maybe you have not been following current events. As far as Kerry's commander is concerned, Kerry walked in and demanded the purple heart and showed his scratch and then showed the piece of shrapnel that caused the injury. He then pitched a fit until the commander said, "whatever, do what you want." (loosely paraphrased) </font color>

Isn't being wounded in action 3 times enough for you? <font color="red"> If a soldier was "wounded" wouldn't you think he might spend a single day in medical? If the wound was serious enough to earn the purple heart don't you think one sick day would have been in order? Or do you think the man was so brave that he fought through the pain. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Your post cracks me up. </font color>

I notice you are ignoring the issue of his silver and bronze stars <font color="red"> Never ignored it. I guess if I was to follow the post you replied to, I would have to ask you the relevance of this mindless statement. The thread is about Kerry making a futile attempt at dodging the draft in the name of education. Since you brought them up, would these be the same medals in which ABC has on tape of Kerry claiming to have given back? </font color> <hr /></blockquote> Thanks for you first couple posts, they have been enjoyable indeed.

eg8r