PDA

View Full Version : How long do you like your playing cue to be?

dr_billiards
03-10-2004, 12:50 AM
I stand 6'1" tall, and I seems like I stroke the ball much better with a 60 inch cue. My follow through seems more prominent. I would like to have a longer cue made to try it out, say a 32 inch butt, and a 32 inch shaft... are there any other players out there like like longer than standard cues? Any that like shorter than standard cues say 56/57 inch? Just curious to know what the masses play with. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks for any replys.

UWPoolGod
03-10-2004, 09:12 AM
I am 6'2" and shoot with a 59" cue that fits my wingspan fine. A guy I know is 6"6" and uses a 62" cue, so to each his own. I was just always gripping all the way on the end of the buttcap.

stlshooter
03-10-2004, 09:31 AM
I play a 62" cue and I am 6'3" tall. A famous cue builder and former great player, Sailor of Racine, clued me in that unlike what most cuemakers want you to understand it is not one size fits all. The evolution of sporting equipment has also followed towards custom fitting and it naturally follows that pool cues, custom pool cues should be fitted.

Chris Cass
03-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Hi,

I like a 58" cue, 12.75mm shaft w/long pro tapper say 12.75mm 13" before the tapper starts and the shaft weight would be at 4oz, 1 1/4" butt plate, 19.75 in weight, wood to wood joint, big pin 3/8th 11. Ivory ferrule or Micarta and the balance point about 2" back from the wrap, which can be double blk and wht speckled Irish linen pressed and polished or blk leather. I'm 5'6".

However, I'm trying to move my game over to a SS joint and forward balance. It's tough to feel what I'm used to feeling but time will tell.

I would like to offer some advice for you though. I would recommend a 30" butt and shaft for you. That you can sell later when up grading. It's hard to sell a cue real big IMO. Also, You have to think about a case too.

Regards,

C.C.

SPetty
03-10-2004, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>I like a 58" cue, 12.75mm shaft w/long pro tapper say 12.75mm 13" before the tapper starts and the shaft weight would be at 4oz, 1 1/4" butt plate, 19.75 in weight, wood to wood joint, big pin 3/8th 11. Ivory ferrule or Micarta and the balance point about 2" back from the wrap, which can be double blk and wht speckled Irish linen pressed and polished or blk leather. <hr /></blockquote>Yeah, but it's not like you're picky about your cue or anything... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Wow.

woody_968
03-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Well you know what cue I am currently playing with /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would like to have him make me one that is a little long, I think it would help me alot.

tateuts
03-10-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm 6'1" with 35/36 inch shirt sleeves and I am just right with a 60" cue. My friend is 6'6" and we just found a nice 62" cue for him, which is pretty good for him. I tried his cue and those extra 2 inches are huge. It definitely didn't work for me.

I am fortunate to have found three very good 60" cues for myself, one Huebler custom shop, one Scruggs, and my current JossWest.

I think longer cues tend to flex and squirt more. I have a 30" Predator shaft on mine now and it works great.

Chris

rukiddingme
03-10-2004, 04:27 PM
I have a Sailor cue --- 59" long 19.5oz. I'm actually going to see Frank on Saturday for an all day pool session. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
ruk

Popcorn
03-10-2004, 05:07 PM
The length of the cue is not as important as the balance point. It determines where you will unconsciously grab the cue when you pick it up. You can't really tell how long a cue is when you pick it up, only how it is balanced. A butt heavy cue will seem longer then a front balanced cue. Once in your stance, unless you hold the cue at the very end, you don't know how much cue is left behind your grip hand. I prefer the shortest cue you feel comfortable playing with. I still play with a 57 inch cue with a 39 1/2 inch balance point from the tip, (a more correct way to determine the balance point of the cue, since the part of the cue you play with is from your grip hand to your bridge hand as it relates to the tip of the cue. An interesting thing about cues are some of the standards, such as, length and the length of the ferrules. They don't seem to be based on anything other then, that is the standard. Ferrule length is a real mystery, why 1 inch? I think most cue makers will concede that a shorter, thinner walled ferrule will play better, but 1 inch is what people expect to see, so that is what they make.

tateuts
03-10-2004, 06:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I prefer the shortest cue you feel comfortable playing with. <hr /></blockquote>

Is it because you think a player has better control over a shorter cue? If so, why?

I believe shorter cues are better too because generally they're stiffer. But on shorter cues, my back hand is right on the last couple of inches of the buttsleeve - not very comfortable really.

Chris

Leviathan
03-11-2004, 08:34 AM
I'm six-five. I've got two 61-inch cues and a some 58-inch cues. I play with a 58-inch cue; it's long enough so that it doesn't cramp my stroke, and its hit seems more solid than the hit I get with the longer sticks. As Chris said, shorter cues seem to play stiffer.

Popcorn and C.C. have mentioned balance, and I agree that balance is an important consideration. It seems to me that balance is a two-part thing, though. A cue has its own balance point, but our perception of a cue's balance is affected by the position of our hands. If you move your back hand to the rear, the cue feels front-heavy; if you move your back hand forward, the cue feels butt-heavy.

Nobody has mentioned bridge length or length of backswing. I play most of my shots with a 9-inch bridge; a player with a longer bridge might want a longer cue with a stiffer shaft. My backswing is of average length; a player with a longer backswing might want a longer cue. I try to have my right hand directly under my right elbow when I hit the CB; a player whose right hand is farther forward when he strikes the CB might get by with a shorter cue.

AS

Chris Cass
03-11-2004, 08:54 AM
HAHAHAHA I'm even more picky about my friends. Your one of them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hey, look at your pool room. That's extreme picky. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
03-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Hi Popcorn,

I totally agree with you. It's the balance point. Most tall players above 6' are holding the average 58" cue near the butt cap. In order to move their hand closer to the wrap they need a longer cue. It does effect the balance point though. When they grab it by the butt cap it nulifys the balance point.

The 1 1/4" was a favorite of mine yrs ago. Now, I like just slightly under 1". You can get used to anything IMO. I do like the shorter ferulle because of the sight picture.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
03-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Yep,

Have to meet Sailor one of these days. He's had some pretty impressive student. Mark Wilson, Jeff Carter and Ron Dobosenski to name a few.

Regards,

C.C.~~thinks 58" is good for ruk. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
03-11-2004, 10:17 AM
When you see him, ask him when my "Road cue" will be ready. I ordered and paid for it in 1976 and I am still waiting.

Chris Cass
03-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Are you serious? 1976? and paid for?

C.C.

rukiddingme
03-11-2004, 11:52 AM
I ordered my cue in Jan 2003 and got it in mid April...no problems. Don't know what happened to you or him in 76'.
ruk

Popcorn
03-11-2004, 12:34 PM
He had every excuse in the world, then I could no longer get a hold of him. I called someone who knew him and was told I would never see the cue or the money. I just gave up and stopped calling.

#### leonard
03-11-2004, 02:16 PM
I played this morning with a 62 inch Rambow. It was in hiding for 35 years. ####

dr_billiards
03-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Awesome! How did you like it?
D_B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
03-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Hi Popcorn,

That's something. Seems someone with a name like his, would never do something like that. I'd be taking him to small claims court no doubt. I still would try to contact him and see if something can be done, before your forced to take legal action. There's too many cuemakers out there that are totally attentive to the customer needs to waist time with one who isn't. IMHO

Regards,

C.C.~~once waited 6 mths for a re-wrap and finish. That just about drove me bonkers.

Popcorn
03-11-2004, 04:43 PM
It was a long time ago, who knows what was going on in his life at the time. I used to call him at a place I think the name was The Grill and Billiards. He was highly recommended by a player I met named Joe Salazer. He had one he really liked.

I don't remember for sure but I think the cue was something like $70. or $80. back then. I don't want to bad mouth the guy I just thought it was funny he never sent a cue. Some people said he was a little flaky so I just forgot about it. You know, a lot of the cue makers are not even legitimate businessmen. They have no licenses or tax numbers and few probably even file a tax return. Their files are a shoe box and you can't take much of what they say as gospel. I would never give a cue maker the money in advance, maybe a small deposit but that would be it.

They can be very short sighted. I had one tell me he was not delivering a cue to a customer because the price he had quoted for the cue at the time it was ordered was now too low. He is getting $200. more now for that same cue and he thinks the guy should pay the current price he wants. The order was two years old, he should stand by his original commitment, but that meant nothing to him, he said screw the guy I will sell the cue to someone else. Is that the worst thing you ever heard, after the guy waiting almost two years for his cue.

buddha162
03-12-2004, 03:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>Is that the worst thing you ever heard, after the guy waiting almost two years for his cue. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, one of these days that cuemaker will screw over the wrong guy and get a lead-pipe visit at his shop.

I know many people (myself included) who will go completely bonkers if a cue they waited for for two years failed to materialize.

-Roger

1Time
03-12-2004, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> The 1 1/4" was a favorite of mine yrs ago. Now, I like just slightly under 1". You can get used to anything IMO. I do like the shorter ferulle because of the sight picture.<hr /></blockquote>

My cue is 58 1/4". I changed to a 1 1/4 " ferrule years ago when I moved from bar tables to 9' tables. At first it caused me to foul when addressing the cue. But I soon got used to it and after a while I found it helped my stroke to mature. I slightly increased the distance between my bridge and the cue tip to compensate for the added length and this in turn helped me lengthen my stroke which I found useful on the 9' tables.

#### leonard
03-12-2004, 09:26 AM
One shaft had something lose in it but the other shaft played very good. The cue was made to the long length, it wasn't a cob job to extend the length. I had two original Rambows that I think I sold for $50 doubling my money HaHa.####

Chris Cass
03-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Hi Popcorn,

That sounds like he doesn't want any business. Extremely foolish business practices. He can't expect to get any custom orders for sure. Well, that only compliments cuemakers like Barry Szamboti and South West cues. One price and when you get the cue it remains the same.

Regards,

C.C.

Popcorn
03-12-2004, 10:42 AM
I did not make any kind of deal with Joe regarding the cue, I met him when we played. He was in my opinion the best bar player I ever saw. We played several times and he gave me weight on the bar table and also beat me even on a big table. He seemed like a nice guy, I have met him since when he is selling cues but don't know much about him beyond that. Most of those guys that hustle cues are a little hard to deal with. But that is like everything, if they have it for sale it is priceless, but if you try to sell them something, and it could be exactly like their product, all of a sudden it is not worth anything.

My dealings with Sailor were by phone and I always spoke directly with him. The connection to Joe was just that he had a Sailor he liked and I wanted one. He made a cue he called his "Road Cue", a very plain cue, that was the cue I ordered. Like I said, it was a long time ago, not worth even talking to him about. I only mentioned it in the other post because it was kind of funny waiting 28 years for a cue. Who knows, maybe it's almost ready.

rackmup
03-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Never really thought much about it but it should be at least long enough to reach my bridge hand and not so short that it falls deeply into my case.

Back to the darkness.

Ken

Chris Cass
03-13-2004, 07:55 AM
LOL Still, I'd give him another call anyway. If not just to tell him you haven't forgotten.

Regards,

C.C.~~a 28 yr waiting list?