PDA

View Full Version : 2003 US Open Match.. Busty vrs Efren

Tom_In_Cincy
03-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Well, I forked over $4.95 to watch this match again. I was there and in great company with the CCBers that braved the hurricane.

I wanted to see how the Accustats/BCn crew edited the match when they cut-away to the McCready/Alex P. match on the next table. Alex and Keith were so loud, not only were Busty and Efren's match stopped (along with the TV crew) but the Jim Rempe versus Howard Vickory match stopped also. This wasn't on the video.. but I saw it. Howard and Jim were upset, but didn't say anything.

At first I thought this was just awful. How much yelling and chatting must be allowed before the players are warned? Then the TV crew started to record and it was like it is very acceptable that this type of woofing is OK since it's Alex and Keith. Here I wonder if Busty, Efren, Jim and Howard would care to make a comment.

While watching the Busty-Efren match, I was able to see the CCBers watching from the side lines.

All in all, I had a good time, re-visiting the great time I had at the 2003 US Open....

SPetty
03-10-2004, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>I forked over $4.95 to watch this match again. <hr /></blockquote>When? Where? How?

Tom_In_Cincy
03-10-2004, 01:00 PM
www.billiardclub.net (http://www.billiardclub.net)

This is the site for BCn.

There is a free veiwing of the Mosconi Cup matches each week.

There is also a $4.95 charge for matches that were taped at the 2003 US Open.

DoomCue
03-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Hey Tom,

Wasn't it Johnny and Vickery playing next to Alex and Keith? I think Jimbo and Fred were sitting in the same stands as us, too - maybe they remember who was playing Vickery. It's been a while, but I seem to remember Archer not being too happy with Keith.

I was in prime viewing location, at the corner of the stands. I could watch Busty and Efren, turn my head, and there's Alex/Keith and the Vickery match at the same time. Ahh, paradise.

Gotta admit, though, I hated the fact that the director stopped Efren/Busty in order to show Alex and Keith. Seemed kind of amateurish to me.

-djb

Tom_In_Cincy
03-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Yeah.. it could have been Johnny.. I did kill a lot of brain cells that week.

I was right there with ya.. 3 matches.. and we were right in the middle..

Drake
03-10-2004, 03:31 PM
I have this Accu-stat DVD. At first I found this to be silly to cut away from such a great match between Busty and Efren....but then I realized that Efren and Busty were watching Alex's match as well. Besides, If I was playing by them...I would have to stop and wait. How can you concentrate when two opponents have the whole crowd around you laughing. Alex and Keith are truly world class players.......and entertainers.

SteveFromNY
03-10-2004, 05:30 PM
I just got the DVD!! Won it from my local league. It was an odd thing to do to cut away to Keith and Alex but Eren was laughing when Keith missed the easy 9. It was my first time seeing Keith after Color of Money and boy did age get the better of him. Still fun to watch though.

RailbirdJAM
03-10-2004, 06:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I wanted to see how the Accustats/BCn crew edited the match when they cut-away to the McCready/Alex P. match on the next table. Alex and Keith were so loud, not only were Busty and Efren's match stopped (along with the TV crew) but the Jim Rempe versus Howard Vickory match stopped also. This wasn't on the video.. but I saw it. Howard and Jim were upset, but didn't say anything. <hr /></blockquote>

I was sitting in the front row, between Buddy Hall and Grady's lovely wife Randi, and it was definitely Howard Vickory and Johnny Archer who were playing at the adjacent table.

I don't think Jim Rempe played in the '03 Open, most likely because of Hurricane Isabel which unfortunately prevented a lot of folks, players and spectators alike, from making it.

RailbirdJAM

03-11-2004, 10:39 AM

Chris Cass
03-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi W.W.,

Keith has had a rough life and it might show a little but, he has a great disposition really. After talking to him a bit. I kinda like him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~useless infomation king...

Eric.
03-11-2004, 02:32 PM
I had a good seat for the Mc Cready/Parica match(if thats what you are referring to). Keither shot a great match. I think he put up the highest Accustat number of the T.V. table matches; a .941 or close to that. BTW, that number includes the 2 or 3 9 balls he dogged. It still kills me to watch his stroke, but he was playing great patterns and making just about everything.

Eric

eg8r
03-11-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
was sitting in the front row, between Buddy Hall and Grady's lovely wife Randi, and it was definitely Howard Vickory and Johnny Archer who were playing at the adjacent table.

I don't think Jim Rempe played in the '03 Open, most likely because of Hurricane Isabel which unfortunately prevented a lot of folks, players and spectators alike, from making it.
<hr /></blockquote> After reading his post, the best you could come up with was a correction of the players??? At least comment on the "real" issue of his post.

I personally think it would be distruptive and would have asked for them to be quieted.

eg8r

Kato
03-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Do I look any better on the internet Tom?

Kato~~~killed 7 brain cells that week /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RailbirdJAM
03-11-2004, 04:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>After reading his post, the best you could come up with was a correction of the players??? At least comment on the "real" issue of his post. I personally think it would be distruptive and would have asked for them to be quieted.<hr /></blockquote>

eg8r, I can honestly comment that inside the Chesapeake Conference Center, I was not laughing, applauding, cheering, and yelling comments out to Keith and Alex during the Efren and Bustie match.

Please accept my apologies for my comment that the player alongside Keith and Alex was Johnny Archer instead of Jim Rempe.

RailbirdJAM

eg8r
03-12-2004, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please accept my apologies for my comment that the player alongside Keith and Alex was Johnny Archer instead of Jim Rempe.
<hr /></blockquote> Why are you apologizing? I was just asking a question. It seemed odd to me that you would go to the extent of replying, however not give an opinion on the real point of the post, but rather just to correct a mistake. And it is not soley the fact that you made a correction but you did it after someone else had already pointed it out about 3.5 hours earlier in the day and Tom admitted to the possiblity of the mistake about 3 hours before you pointed it out again.

eg8r &lt;~~~Sometimes thinks out loud

DoomCue
03-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Geez Jennie, what do you do to alienate so many people? You're just a harmless, lovable, fuzzball....

Eg8r,

To recap: I asked Tom if he was sure about Rempe instead of Archer. I myself wasn't sure. Tom responded in a not too affirmative manner that he wasn't sure about that either. JAM responded in the affirmative that it was Archer.

What's the issue? Is she not allowed to answer MY question?

-djb &lt;-- sometimes thinks out loud, then thinks again before posting

eg8r
03-12-2004, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the issue? Is she not allowed to answer MY question? <hr /></blockquote> I don't think I said that, and her response was to Tom (she even quoted him, leading me to believe she posted without reading any of the other replies). I just mentioned that I thought it was odd to actually make a correction to a post without even bothering to make any mention to the real point of the thread, that is all. Maybe because of certain parties involved, she did not want to mention if she thought it was rude to the other players, or maybe she thought that is acceptable. I don't know, that is why I thought it odd for her to absolutely ignore it.

eg8r

Rich R.
03-12-2004, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I don't know, that is why I thought it odd for her to absolutely ignore it. <hr /></blockquote>
eg8r, if you knew who RailbirdJAM was, you would know why she may not want to take sides in that debate. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Some of us know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

http://www.poolplayersparadise.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10008/normal_CRW_0145_RT8.jpg

Rich R.
03-12-2004, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I don't know, that is why I thought it odd for her to absolutely ignore it. <hr /></blockquote>
eg8r, if you knew who RailbirdJAM was, you would know why she may not want to take sides in that debate. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Some of us know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Here is a nice picture of Keith from PPP.
Posted with permission of the photographer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.poolplayersparadise.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10008/normal_CRW_0145_RT8.jpg <hr /></blockquote>

RailbirdJAM
03-13-2004, 07:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>eg8r, if you knew who RailbirdJAM was, you would know why she may not want to take sides in that debate. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some of us know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Here is a nice picture of Keith from PPP. Posted with permission of the photographer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>

LOL, Rich. A picture is worth a thousand words: Keith is concentrating on the game and I'm concentrating on the score beads with my usual deer-in-headlights look sitting on the rail. LOL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The hand shown in the upper left-hand side of the photo must have been Jeremy Jones' when he knocked Keith in the loser's bracket in the semi-finals on Sunday. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I haven't seen the DVD/video yet of the Efren/Bustie match. I am trying to remember if one of them did make a 9-ball on the break on the TV table for the $500 that was offered by Billiards Club Network. Every player who did play on that TV table was gunning for that $500, but only a few actually did make it on the break. Keith wasn't one of them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I must admit that watching Keith and Alex for me was one of the hardest matches I have ever had to endure. I guess you had to have just been there to see how it unfolded. I was not laughing, applauding, or cheering one bit, and I cringed when Keith dogged the case 9-ball for the win. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif He was lucky to get another shot (IMHO).

RailbirdJAM

Rich R.
03-13-2004, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RailbirdJAM:</font><hr> I cringed when Keith dogged the case 9-ball for the win. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif He was lucky to get another shot (IMHO).<hr /></blockquote>
Jen, when Keith made his comment about putting that match on the internet, then turned around and dogged the 9, I think all the air was sucked out of the convention center. No one could believe it.
Fortunately, he got another chance. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
03-13-2004, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
eg8r, if you knew who RailbirdJAM was, you would know why she may not want to take sides in that debate.

Some of us know. <hr /></blockquote> Rich this is no new news. I guess this quote... [ QUOTE ]
Maybe because of certain parties involved, she did not want to mention if she thought it was rude to the other players, or maybe she thought that is acceptable. <hr /></blockquote> ...was not clear enough. I already know about her and Keith and so does the rest of the internet world. I think this quote even says the same thing as you were implying.

eg8r

RailbirdJAM
03-14-2004, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Rich this is no new news...I think this quote even says the same thing as you were implying.<hr /></blockquote>

eg8r, it was one of those matches that you had to have been there, really and truly. I can remember looking across to the other side of the room during this match and seeing Mika and Marcus pointing to Keith and Alex and laughing hysterically. Marcus actually fell out of his bleacher seat, he was laughing so hard. Spectators were yelling comments to Keith and Alex from the stands, cheering, applauding, and laughing.

An older gentleman came up to Keith after the match out front of the conference center and said, "Keith, I've been coming to these tournaments for a long time now, and I have never had as much fun as I had watching you. Where are you playing next? I want to make sure I'll be there."

Saturday evening, Rob Sykora of BCn came over to Keith and said he was thinking about putting his match with Jose Parica on the TV table, if that was okay with Keith. Personally, I only wanted Keith to play his game and win the match and felt that the TV table was a little tougher environment because of the hot lights, polka-dotted cue-ball, and TV cameras on every side of the table.

Rob Sykora took a vote from the crowd there at the Open. He asked them which match would they like to see on the TV table, Rodney Morris' upcoming match or Keith and Jose, and the crowd overwhelmingly voted for Keith and Jose, and this was after his match with Alex.

Even at the time of this writing, I am unable to figure out what happened that day, eg8r. Again, Keith was lucky to get another shot and win the match. He was shooting one-handed shots on the 9-ball, left-handed shots instead of using the mechanical bridge, and again, I was cringing. Carmine Sardo was grinning from ear to ear watching Keith and Alex underneath the boom camera, which almost hit Keith in the head, by the way, which brought more laughter in the gallery, and when Carmine glanced over at me on the rail and saw the expression on my face, he gave me a wink. He knew I was sweating the outcome, big time. After that match, Keith did admit, as did Alex, that they both got caught up in the crowd. If there had been no crowd interaction, I do not believe this match would have developed the way it had. That's my take on it, sitting on the rail, eg8r.

RailbirdJAM

eg8r
03-14-2004, 08:29 PM
Sounds like I missed out on a great time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for the reply/recap.

eg8r

soupy
03-14-2004, 08:43 PM
Thank you for showing me the billiard club network site! I'm watching the free match right now. I really appreciate the info.

9 Ball Girl
03-15-2004, 09:45 AM
It's too bad we didn't have our score cards for the tongue-in-cheek humor (as we did for the Jones/Parica final).

Keith and Alex are who they are and we in the crowd loved it. At least most of us did. It was memorable, I still remember it as if I'd just seen it, Cathy yelling out to Keith "Take your time!", Luc Salvas turning back to look at Cathy, Rich zooming in with that extravagant camera of his, me sucking in my breath...it was awesome. Look, we're still talking about it! It's just as Keith said right before he shot that 9 ball that he missed, "you can put this one on the internet!".

Wendy&lt;---6 more months, 6 more months, 6 more months.../ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
03-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Ok.. who besides me thinks "women that get excited by watching a pool macth" is way beyond normal?

and 6 more months, 6 more months, Sept 2004 in VA..

Rich R.
03-15-2004, 10:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Ok.. who besides me thinks "women that get excited by watching a pool macth" is way beyond normal?
<hr /></blockquote>
Tom, I can only address this, as it relates to my wife. Cathy gets more excited and nervous, than most of the players involved. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif