PDA

View Full Version : What is 3 cushion?

Nine_Ball_Nick
03-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Just wanted the low down on this game, how it's played...... etc.

Ken
03-11-2004, 07:13 AM
Go to:

http://www.caromcafe.com/frameset.html

There is far more info there than anyone is likely to post here. They also show many shots by expert players.
KenCT

piglit
03-11-2004, 08:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nine_Ball_Nick:</font><hr> Just wanted the low down on this game, how it's played...... etc. <hr /></blockquote>

I think it is the opposite of pocket billiards. Really fun too and, if you learn how to play, you will find your kick-shots much improved!

-pigi

Nine_Ball_Nick
03-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks Ken, you're right that web site answered any question I could ever have. Looks fun and good practice for any type of pool. Do they make a easy way to convert your pocket table into a cushion table? Maybe something that fits into the pockets..... or do you have to buy all new rails?

Rod
03-11-2004, 01:09 PM
3C is played on a 10' table. They use to sell inserts for pockets but it is poor at best. Just go to a place that has billiard tables if possible.

Rod

Nine_Ball_Nick
03-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Why is the table heated? It's all new to me.

Ken
03-11-2004, 04:49 PM
It's heated to make the balls roll easier. They like to be able to hit the balls very softly and make the billiard without spreading the balls around a lot. Also, there are multi-rail shots done on modern equipment that were impossible years ago. The game is fine on an unheated table.

Brunswick used to have inserts for their tables but now that 3 cushion is not as popular and there are so many different brands I don't think they are available. You would have to make them yourself. One problem is that the balls are bigger in 3 cushion so the rails should be higher but it can still be played with the inserts.

I allmost bought an early Brunswick 10 footer with two sets of rails but didn't really have the room for two tables and was not inclined to sell one. Brunswick made many convertible tables that held the rails on by a lever that made changing quick. I hear they were not that good since the rails weren't held down adequately.
KenCT

ajrack
03-11-2004, 05:05 PM
You will like www.caromcafe.com (http://www.caromcafe.com)

Nine_Ball_Nick
03-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Sounds great but not very applicable on a home pocket billiard table. I guess you could practice the angles on a 8 ft. and apply on a 10ft at a billiard hall.

armandito
03-12-2004, 12:36 PM
The game is a very popular choice in Mexico and Latin America, and even in some places in Europe. I, however, haven't seen a table here in the States. The adapters (known as plugs) are still sold. I have seen several on Ebay (at least $300), however, the ones I have found on Ebay, are sold more for their collectible value.
You could buy a NEW set searching online, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Spain and Portugal have online stores where they are offered. Plan on spending about $400-$500 plus shipping. Last time I was in Mexico I decided against purchasing them because of the following:
- they are not custom made, so you need to measure the table very carefully to find the best fitting one.
- the plugs require frequent recalibration.
- the response varies too much.

However, I do recommend you try playing the game if you find a table, it is a lot harder than it sounds.

In Mexico, "carambola" is considered the REAL game of billiards, while pool (8 or 9 ball) are considered a game that "anybody" can play.

Younger or beginner players start by just attempting to score a "carom", and as they get better players add a rail at a time.

Nine_Ball_Nick
03-12-2004, 03:28 PM
It looks very hard, it's hard enough to bank a ball on a 8 ft table off a couple of coushions into a pocket. I've never seen a place where they actually have these tables. The conversion of a standered table sounds like a waste of time. Thanks for all the info. It's pretty impressive to me.

Bob_Jewett
03-12-2004, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nine_Ball_Nick:</font><hr> Just wanted the low down on this game, how it's played...... etc. <hr /></blockquote>

Get Robert Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards and read the second part, which is about 3-cushion. A (partial) list of rooms with carom tables is on the USBA website. (http://www.uscarom.org/rooms_current.htm)

Accu-stats has a couple of high-light tapes of 3-cushion shots by world champions. See their website. (http://www.accu-stats.com)

denoandrews
03-13-2004, 01:20 AM
The tables are heated for a very specific reason. Heating the table reduces the moisture or humidity in the cloth. Doing so allows the tables to be more consistent from one geographical region to another...or from room to room depending on how they keep their room cooled or heated. The heat doesn't really make the balls roll any easier per se, but rather more consistently. THe ideal temp for a table is just about 8 to 10 degrees over room temp.

Deno J. Andrews

Ken wrote: "It's heated to make the balls roll easier. They like to be able to hit the balls very softly and make the billiard without spreading the balls around a lot."