PDA

View Full Version : My new table has arrived

ras314
03-11-2004, 06:39 AM
I'm now the proud owner of a 9 ft Diamond pro table. The one thing I've discovered I don't like is the noise balls make going in the pockets. Stuck some packing material between the leather pockets and the wood rails, helps some.

The installer did an excelent job, balls roll straight and bank consisently from any spot on any rail. This thing is going to ruin me for all the junky tables I'm used to playing on.

An oddity I've noticed is balls don't jump when hitting a rail hard. I've slammed the cb as hard as I can into rails and it just stays flat on the table. Every gold crown I've done that on will put the cb in the air.

Ken
03-11-2004, 06:56 AM
I think the Diamond rails are a bit high and tend to trap the balls. This absorbs energy and prevents the ball from traveling as many banks before stopping. There is a middle position in rail height that will permit some balls to become airborn but will also permit you to hit a 9 rail shot. I can do that consistently on my old Brunswick but can't come close on a Diamond.

I think the quick test for rail height is to hit a ball with enough speed to go 4 rails back and forth the short way across the table. The ball should not hop but will hop on a harder shot. My rails are clearly too low as balls easily leave the table. I have not shimmed them much since I am working on the 13 rail shot so I can get into Ripley's.
KenCT

Wally_in_Cincy
03-11-2004, 07:13 AM
ras,

Did you have a table before?

ras314
03-11-2004, 07:26 AM
Somewhere I've seen Diamond uses a K-55 profile cushion. I think it is a little higher at the nose.

I can't seem to get much over 4 rails, head spot to foot rail. No matter how hard I hit the cb it stays on the table. Also notice a ball will tend to slide a ways coming off a rail, never seen this so obviously before. May tend to go away after the 860 gets a little chalk in it. Oddly, balls hit not so fast seem to get around the table well, off several coushions.

Why mess with the 13 rail shot? Just to get the bozo lable? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
03-11-2004, 07:28 AM
WooHoo! Congratulations ras314! I noticed that different sound on pocketing balls when I got mine. Play enough and you'll get used to it...

Oh, and don't worry about not being able to get the balls off the table. They're supposed to stay on the table anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So, when do we get pictures?

ras314
03-11-2004, 07:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Did you have a table before? <hr /></blockquote>
No. The new refers to newly made as apposed to used. Not very clear huh? This is the first table I've ever owned, pretty excited about it.

ras314
03-11-2004, 07:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Oh, and don't worry about not being able to get the balls off the table. They're supposed to stay on the table anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So, when do we get pictures? <hr /></blockquote>

Err, uh, well, I managed to put balls off your table... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Don't know how to post pictures. The walnut makes a nice looking table though.

Maybe a little too quite in the room, I can actually hear balls rolling down the table.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-11-2004, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>...This is the first table I've ever owned, pretty excited about it. <hr /></blockquote>

And rightly so.

May as well start at the top eh? Diamond Pro, sweet.

I predict your game will improve. That will be an added bonus.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-11-2004, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>.. I can actually hear balls rolling down the table. <hr /></blockquote>

A lovely rumble it is, exceeded only by the sound of them hitting the bottom of the pocket.

woody_968
03-11-2004, 09:28 AM
*turns Simonis green with envy* /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats man, ya got a great table!

ras314
03-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi Woody,
I'm liking the table more and more as I bang balls around on it. Sooner or later I'll let a selected few people try it out and see what they think. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, the cork flooring is very quiet when a ball hits it. Be awhile before I learn much more about it.

Barbara
03-11-2004, 06:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> I'm now the proud owner of a 9 ft Diamond pro table. The one thing I've discovered I don't like is the noise balls make going in the pockets. Stuck some packing material between the leather pockets and the wood rails, helps some.

<font color="blue">You get what is possibly the finest "Player's Table" there is in the world and you're knocking the pocket noise???</font color>

The installer did an excelent job, balls roll straight and bank consisently from any spot on any rail. This thing is going to ruin me for all the junky tables I'm used to playing on.

<font color="blue">When you get used to that table and the subtle nuances it will teach you on how to finesse a shot, you'll be able to play on any table in the world and kick butt!</font color>

An oddity I've noticed is balls don't jump when hitting a rail hard. I've slammed the cb as hard as I can into rails and it just stays flat on the table. Every gold crown I've done that on will put the cb in the air.

<font color="blue">Geez! You and SPetty will be invincible at the next CCB Players Championship</font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara~~~jealous...

ras314
03-11-2004, 06:42 PM
I like to tell how a ball was hit by the sound it makes dropping into a pocket. One of the reasons I hate loud juke boxes in a pool hall. Sound these side pockets make is like nothing I've ever heard before, sort of a hollow thump. Nothing I've tried makes much difference, but I'm beginning to like the funny noise. These pockets are really strange, hit a ball hard and it makes little noise. Soft and it gets louder. In between (medium speed) they are real loud as the ball hits the leather into the wood backing. Or did untill I started stuffing stuff around the leather.

<font color="blue">Geez! You and SPetty will be invincible at the next CCB Players Championship</font color>
<hr /></blockquote>
That thing at the US Open? I've been planning on going, be even better if that CCB fracus is on nice tight pocket Diamonds. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Kind of leaning towards the DCC next year, good Lord willing 'an the creek don't rise.

Vagabond
03-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Howdy RAS,
The table to play one pocket game.Cheers
Vagabond

SPetty
03-12-2004, 09:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Don't know how to post pictures. The walnut makes a nice looking table though.<hr /></blockquote>Here is ras314's brand new walnut Diamond Pro on nifty comfortable cork flooring with the Diamond light hanging above it. When he was finally successful in getting a ball to jump off the table, he said it made less noise hitting the cork floor than the balls make dropping in the pocket! He also says he expects to eventually put in tongue and groove pine paneling. That'll be sweet.

http://members.aol.com/iheart8ball/pics/ras314Table.jpg

He's also got shiny new Super Aramith Pro balls, some of which are shown here in their final resting place after his interesting experiment... He rolled the balls off the curved metal holder for sandpaper as a ramp, and all came off a rail, head to foot rail total 109 1/2".

http://members.aol.com/iheart8ball/pics/ras314Balls.jpg

mred477
03-13-2004, 12:03 AM
I'm looking into buying a new table, and the Diamond Pro is one of the ones I'm considering. Two questions for anyone who can help.

1. How much should I plan on budgeting for a Diamond Pro 9 ft. or it's equivalent.

2. My current place has enough room, but I may be asked to move quite a bit after the next 2-3 years. Just wondering how much it costs to move a pool table a few hundred miles and whether I'd be better off waiting til the travelling dies down a bit.

Thanks for all your input.

Will

Regulator
03-13-2004, 02:24 AM
Diamond Pro 9':

Pro in Oak - $4,050
Light in Oak - $ 625

Pro in Cherry or Walnut - $4,500
Light in Cherry or Walnut - $ 725

Pro in Mahogany - $5,000
Light in Mahogany - $ 800

Pro in Rosewood - $6,750
Light in Rosewood - $1,200

Dymondwood Rails add $400.

Ball Return - $350
Simonis Green - $145 (other colors $168)
Bass Feet - $195
Embroidered Cover - $125
Super Pro Balls - $135

Plus, they have packages that include the light, chair unit, Simonis, Cover, etc. for discount pricing.

I just got my price list from Chad.

Chris Cass
03-13-2004, 07:38 AM
Save yourself some money and wait till the U.S.Open is going on. Afterwards they sell the tables at a discount. They're still brand new and it may save you a lot of money.

Regards,

C.C.

woody_968
03-13-2004, 08:05 AM
ras314, how do you like the super aramith pro balls? Im trying to decide between those and a set of Centinnials.

thanks.

SPetty
03-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Well, I'm not ras314, but between the two (I've got a set of each /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif), I prefer the Aramith. I don't know why. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

John in NH
03-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi Ras,

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifCongratulations.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifThe sound of the balls dropping into the pockets are unique to the diamond pro, I would not change a thing on mine.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifHope you have as much luck with yours as I have with mine, I've had my diamond pro for six months and the balls roll just as true today as they did six months ago.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifI did notice on my table when the ball comes off the rail it will usually come up short of what I had intended, it took a little getting used to.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gifAs far as the balls spinning off the rail thats normal for a new cloth, that problem will disappear as time goes on.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifUnfortunately you will find fault with most other tables that you play on, that's just the way it is, you may want to keep those thoughts to yourself, especially if you are around your friends, they may not always agree with you, especially if they never played on a diamond.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifGot to go, can't wait to rack the balls on my diamond pro.

Regards,

John

ras314
03-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Woody,

I don't know what the difference between the ball sets might be. Only time I've used the centinnials has been occasionaly at pool halls and the extra marks in the circles seem a bit distracting. So the super pro set seems more familiar. Can't see any wobble in any of them and the cb plays enough like a red circle I doubt I could tell the difference if they weren't marked.

ras314
03-13-2004, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote John in NH:</font><hr> Hi Ras,
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifThe sound of the balls dropping into the pockets are unique to the diamond pro, I would not change a thing on mine.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifUnfortunately you will find fault with most other tables that you play on, that's just the way it is, you may want to keep those thoughts to yourself, especially if you are around your friends, they may not always agree with you, especially if they never played on a diamond.
<hr /></blockquote>

Oops, I don't consider the strange pocket noises a fault, just different. Somehow the whole table seems to act as a sounding board and the initial impression is loose rails and pockets of poor tables. Such is definately not the case. Of course I am biased /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif but I think this is the best playing table I've ever been on.

soupy
03-15-2004, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Diamond Pro 9':

Pro in Oak - $4,050
Light in Oak - $ 625

Pro in Cherry or Walnut - $4,500
Light in Cherry or Walnut - $ 725

Pro in Mahogany - $5,000
Light in Mahogany - $ 800

Pro in Rosewood - $6,750
Light in Rosewood - $1,200
<hr /></blockquote>

Do they make the Diamond Pro in maple?

ras314
03-15-2004, 08:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote soupy:</font><hr> Do they make the Diamond Pro in maple? <hr /></blockquote> I imagin they will use any suitable wood available. Give them a call at (800) 874-0557.

BTW, Simonis 860 standard green is included in the table cost. I think.