PDA

View Full Version : Five-year-old breaks into pool tournment scene

PQQLK9
03-11-2004, 01:35 PM
http://www.thestarpress.com/articles/9/015790-8509-004.html
It all began when her mother and Inside Pool's 2003 Amateur Player of the Year, Tammie Jones took Allison to Las Vegas for the a national championship pool tournament at one month old. Since then, the kindergartner's interest in the sport has flourished
http://www.thestarpress.com/images/articles/image-015790-1863.jpg

9 Ball Girl
03-11-2004, 02:13 PM
I love the focused look that she has--and her bridge. Cute story!

Scott Lee
03-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Nick...Nice article, with one exception. Tammie is completely wrong about saying that "you can't pick up a cue at 30 yrs. old, and become a great player." With the wealth of instructional information and lesson opportunities available to anyone, you can learn to become a champion player, regardless of your age when you start!

Scott Lee

Billy
03-12-2004, 03:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Nick...Nice article, with one exception. Tammie is completely wrong about saying that "you can't pick up a cue at 30 yrs. old, and become a great player." With the wealth of instructional information and lesson opportunities available to anyone, you can learn to become a champion player, regardless of your age when you start!

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

regardless of the age you start huh?

I find your response amusing especially since you are contradicting a bonafide womens' champion.Tammie's mentality of a 'champion' is on a totally different page that what you are accustomed to Mr Lee.your great player and her idea of a great player are worlds apart venturing far into a field you've never been or experienced.she speaks of the best of the best on an international level and you speak of a potential 30 year old student with high aspirations and of course deep pocket$

all the best with your business /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif but she is completely right

jmo

nhp
03-12-2004, 04:34 AM
Scott used to be a professional player, in case you didn't know. A friend of mine, who is in his mid-40's, didn't pick up a cue until 7 years ago. He plays Santos Sambajon even in 1-pocket, and he is a jam-up 9-ball player too. Not a champion, but if he wants to, in a few years he can become one.

Vagabond
03-12-2004, 05:13 AM
Howdy,
She has the appearence of a future world champion.By the way her father is a very good player and can bet high either in 9 ball or one pocket.In 1995 I ran into her father( Troy) once.He wanted to play 9 ball for 3000 $ a set.I refused to play him.cheers
vagabond

piglit
03-12-2004, 06:51 AM
And I love her Strickland-esque sighting style!!

-piga

9 Ball Girl
03-12-2004, 08:21 AM
Well, maybe the case varies. I don't remember where and when I saw it, but Jennifer Barretta, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, picked up a cue when she was 30 and now she's a touring pro. She took lessons with T. Robles and now Stu Mattana is her mentor.

IMO, you can become whatever you want if you have the self determination and perseverance.

Popcorn
03-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Do you have any examples? Pool is not that hard a game to become competent at, regardless what age you begin. But I don't know any high skilled champions that picked up the game at 30. There are plenty of guys playing on local and state tours that play pretty good and may have taken up the game at a later age, but real champions are few and far between.

Billy
03-12-2004, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Scott used to be a professional player, in case you didn't know. A friend of mine, who is in his mid-40's, didn't pick up a cue until 7 years ago. He plays Santos Sambajon even in 1-pocket, and he is a jam-up 9-ball player too. Not a champion, but if he wants to, in a few years he can become one.

<hr /></blockquote>

this is one of the exceptions maybe.What's your friends name?

Scott used to be a professional player?care to elaborate other than his say so?just curious

Popcorn
03-12-2004, 10:57 AM
It is possible your friend is not being totally honest with you. He may have played at a younger age and picked up the game later. Joe Balsas did not play for like 20 years and became a world champion. There is huge value to having a background at a young age. To pick up a cue for the first time at 40, I mean he never hit a ball in his life, and become a champion, I would just plain say is impossible. This is not to discourage anyone from taking up the game at a later age, but you have to stay within reality.

Billy
03-12-2004, 10:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Well, maybe the case varies. I don't remember where and when I saw it, but Jennifer Barretta, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, picked up a cue when she was 30 and now she's a touring pro. She took lessons with T. Robles and now Stu Mattana is her mentor.

IMO, you can become whatever you want if you have the self determination and perseverance. <hr /></blockquote>

no offense young lady but getting your touring pro card with the wpba is not my idea of a champion.I was talking top notch pool on a much higher level.Allison and Karen are top notch for the ladies but there are many other levels/steps in order to become a champion in open divisions.

you are correct with your determination and perseverance observations but imo the older folks won't or are not able to commit to such high lofted endeavors

jmo

keep playing and all the best with your game /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#### leonard
03-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Joe was hiding out as a Butcher in Minersville Pa. Joe was my all time favorite player. ####

Popcorn
03-12-2004, 11:25 AM
You know, even though he said he did not play, it is a little hard to believe. He may not have competed professionally, I would bet he could be found at a pool room now and then. It just makes for a nice story, but who knows.

9 Ball Girl
03-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Point taken. But at least it's a start, no?

Wendy&lt;---me?! a young lady?! i'm humbled!

DoomCue
03-12-2004, 11:36 AM
I was thinking Neils Feijen, but yeah, she's got it down pat.

-djb