PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor Renigs On Rebate!

Sid_Vicious
03-11-2004, 07:01 PM
I bought a 60G HD from Frys a couple of months back, sent the paperwork back ASAP along with all the asked for articles, including the UPC, and today got a plain and simple card saying I wasn't getting the $30 rebate because the UPC of a 200G drive didn't qualify. Well, I still have the box and a copy of the receipt from the 60G drive, and IF THE UPC THEY ARE REFERENCING SAYS 200G THEN MAXTOR GOOFED! I'd defended rebates to friends, but if this is Maxtor's shenaigans, to He!! with them from now on.

Anyone have a suggested way I can approach this and get satisfaction? I did not photo the UPC, did not see a reason since it came right off of a red box labeled 60Gig Maxtor.

Rich R.
03-12-2004, 05:09 AM
Since this, at least, boarders on fraud, check with your State Attorney General's office and they may be able to guide you further.

Sid_Vicious
03-12-2004, 06:52 AM
My gut feeling is that the person sorting the UPC and all mixed up bar codes, but how that's proven will be a thirty dollar challenge. The store receipt printed it as a 60G drive, so unless the text was misprinted, I supposed a bit of fraud may be possible. Thanks...sid

moblsv
03-12-2004, 09:59 AM
These rebates are such a joke. I have had similar experiences several times. A couple were $5 or less and not worth the effort. One was with Linksys for something like $50 and after much complaining I finally told them to go to he!! and I refuse to buy from them ever again after the way I was treated. Another was with Iomega on a zip drive and they actually sent me an apology letter and a free zip disk along with the refund. Right now I'm still waiting on one for a Motorola cable modem I bought a couple months ago, final outcome yet to be determined.

Good luck with your fight. I know how frustrating it can be. I fight with them more for the principle than the cash.

Rod
03-12-2004, 11:09 AM
Don't give up Sid, their probably betting you will. With a little effort you'll get their attention. How long does it take you to earn $30? No answer is needed bu you get the message. I'd contact the Attorney General in your state and in their state if necessary. They don't like companies that fraud the public.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
03-13-2004, 08:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote moblsv:</font><hr> These rebates are such a joke. I have had similar experiences several times....<hr /></blockquote>

There's a guy on the radio named Clark Howard who is a consumer advocate. He says consumers get cheated out of over 50% of rebates.

Some companies just ignore the rebate requests or they find some little reason not to pay them.

Wally~doesn't do rebates

SpiderMan
03-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Got my notice today by email - same excuse, rebate invalid because they claim I sent in a 200 GB UPC.

SpiderMan

Candyman
03-16-2004, 01:36 PM
I have had similar problems. I believe a lot of the rebates are handled by a third party and it is in their best interest to send as few rebates as possible. They could care less if you are upset with Maxtor or Linksys or anybody esle. I have been successful in sending in complaints to the manufacturers customer service dept. They usually send me a coupon of equal value to the rebate. It isn't as good as money, but I am always going to Office Depot. Works for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-16-2004, 02:48 PM
I wrote the rebate center two "lively" e-mails stating my situation, the second more pointed than the first, and I received a message back that I have now been validated for the rebate of $30, coming in 4-6 weeks. All it really took was for somebody to put two and two together on their end. I. Asking for their name and their supervisor's name might have helped also..sid

Barbara
03-16-2004, 03:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Asking for their name and their supervisor's name might have helped also..sid <hr /></blockquote>

That always helps.

Congrats you got it straightened out!

Barbara

But what do I know?... I'm just some broad...