PDA

View Full Version : Reparations for African Americans- Your Opinion?

nhp
03-12-2004, 03:04 AM
What do you think about the African Americans asking for reparations for slavery?

I believe reparations for slavery are long overdue. One of the main reason why many African Americans live in poverty to this day is because for so many years in the past they were denied a good education. This all stems from the promise of 40 acres and a mule being broken right after Lincoln was assasinated. From then up until the Civil Rights Movement, they were not given any opportunities to better themselves, to pursue a quality education and move out of the ghettos. This is one of the reasons why so many ethnic minorities live in poverty in this country. They were never given a chance. Those years were dark years for this country. Since the Japanese recieved reparations for being in internment camps during WWII, then I believe the African Americans deserve the same thing.

PQQLK9
03-12-2004, 08:23 AM
If we pay African Americans the billions upon billions of dollars four hundred years of slavery would rightfully require, not only will we be increasing our taxes dramatically, but more importantly, we would be setting a precedent that could then be used by Native Americans to demand compensation for all that land our ancestors stole from theirs. And where would that leave us? Packing our bags and going back to where we came from?

eg8r
03-12-2004, 08:23 AM
No ones biting, so I will post...I do not think we should be giving reparations, but here is the reasoning of someone more knowledgable on the subject...David Horowitz.

http://www.adversity.net/reparations/anti_reparations_ad.htm

Read through his 10 reasons and tell me what you think? If you disagree with one, what is the reasoning for disagreement.

This is my favorite one... [ QUOTE ]
What About The Debt Blacks Owe To America?

Slavery existed for thousands of years before the Atlantic slave trade was born, and in all societies. But in the thousand years of its existence, there never was an anti-slavery movement until white Christians - Englishmen and Americans -- created one. If not for the anti-slavery attitudes and military power of white Englishmen and Americans, the slave trade would not have been brought to an end. If not for the sacrifices of white soldiers and a white American president who gave his life to sign the Emancipation Proclamation, blacks in America would still be slaves. If not for the dedication of Americans of all ethnicities and colors to a society based on the principle that all men are created equal, blacks in America would not enjoy the highest standard of living of blacks anywhere in the world, and indeed one of the highest standards of living of any people in the world. They would not enjoy the greatest freedoms and the most thoroughly protected individual rights anywhere. Where is the gratitude of black America and its leaders for those gifts?

<hr /></blockquote>

eg8r

Iowashark
03-12-2004, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> From then up until the Civil Rights Movement, they were not given any opportunities to better themselves, to pursue a quality education and move out of the ghettos. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't really think that 'ghettos' really existed as they do now prior to or during the Civil Rights Movement. And even if they did I would imagine that African-Americans were the minorities in the 'ghettos'.

And to answer your question, I don't think that reparations are in order. I think it would cause a snowball effect just like what happened when that lady spilled coffee on herself and sued McDonalds (I know it's a bad comparison as these are not even close to the same thing), soon everybody will want what they think is rightfully theirs and the racial tension in America will increase and we'll be back at square one.

So no, not a good idea. Reparations seem fair, but they will cause more harm than good.

eg8r
03-12-2004, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And to answer your question, I don't think that reparations are in order. I think it would cause a snowball effect just like what happened when that lady spilled coffee on herself and sued McDonalds <hr /></blockquote> On top of this, there is absolutely no proof that blacks in America today feel any effects from what happened 150 years ago. On top of that, how many people have moved to the US after slavery? Should their money be used to help pay these reparations? What about black families who have moved to the US after slavery, should they receive a % of the reparations? What about the middle and upper class blacks, who are obviously were not financially affected? Should they receive some money? Since this is a far-left liberal idea, should the wealtier blacks receive less than the poor blacks?

How would they decide who would get this money, or is it just a matter if you are black?

In the other article I mentioned in another post, what about the men who died in the civil war in an effort to eliminate slavery? Should their families receive something?

eg8r &lt;~~~not even bringing up the slave owners who were black

stickman
03-12-2004, 12:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> What do you think about the African Americans asking for reparations for slavery?
<hr /></blockquote>

I'm not for it.

Who will pay for reparations? The government? Blacks, whites, and all races pay taxes. Should only whites pay taxes for reparations? What if their white ancestors died to end slavery? Should they still pay a tax for reparations? If you are bi-racial will you give reparations or pay them?

Nothing wrong with asking, I just can't see it happening. By the way, my grandfather from my Dad's side came to the states long after slavery. I'm not sure about the my Mother's ancestors. There seems to be no equitable way to to access the situation.

And some think that Social Security is a mess. HaHa /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooklyn
03-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Ya, none of my ancestors lived in this country during the years of slavery either so count me out on making reparations.

Besides that, since when did ancestors become responsible for the actions of their forbears?

Direct any request for reparations to the the former slave owners themselves.

Additional reparations may be sought through the International Court from the persons who captured and sold the slaves. Some of them are still doing it this very day in Africa. Most of these Black slave traders are also Black, by the way.

TomBk

MikeM
03-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Who's going to pay for it?

MM

nhp
03-13-2004, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Slavery existed for thousands of years before the Atlantic slave trade was born, and in all societies. But in the thousand years of its existence, there never was an anti-slavery movement until white Christians - Englishmen and Americans -- created one. If not for the anti-slavery attitudes and military power of white Englishmen and Americans, the slave trade would not have been brought to an end. If not for the sacrifices of white soldiers and a white American president who gave his life to sign the Emancipation Proclamation, blacks in America would still be slaves. If not for the dedication of Americans of all ethnicities and colors to a society based on the principle that all men are created equal, blacks in America would not enjoy the highest standard of living of blacks anywhere in the world, and indeed one of the highest standards of living of any people in the world. They would not enjoy the greatest freedoms and the most thoroughly protected individual rights anywhere. Where is the gratitude of black America and its leaders for those gifts?
<hr /></blockquote>

Wow, that was quite shocking. Are you sure that wasn't written by the leader of the KKK? Whew, I hope he never comes across a poor African American who just read that.

If reparations were to be given, I believe that the money should be given to the African American communities, to help better the world around them, rather than give the money to single families.

The key issue here is that many people do not think the African Americans deserve reparations because all of the living descendants of slaves today never went through what the slaves went through. Well, people don't understand that what poor African American communities are presently going through is a descending result of slavery. Ever since slavery, they have been denied good education, they have been discriminated against in the workplace, and have been for the most part denied any power in politics. I believe reparations could help give many of these poor communities a jump-start, to help the people living in them begin living the "American Dream", however that is interpreted. I personally do not believe that our government will actually give the African Americans reparations. What many people fail to realize, is the people that are on top of the economic food-chain, stay on top because a bottom exists. If the bottom were to uproot, the top would crumble to the ground and all would be on the same level. This is one of the reasons why many people believe the concept of communism is great, but the reality of it is not. When there is a level playing field, there is no competition, no drive for success, no Albert Einsteins or Aristotles. It is a bland world to live in, and it is against the nature of human beings, who are fueled by emotions, to live without competition. The economic world is a Darwinian chaos, survival of the fittest. This is what is embedded in the minds of those who control this country.

eg8r
03-13-2004, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, that was quite shocking. Are you sure that wasn't written by the leader of the KKK? Whew, I hope he never comes across a poor African American who just read that. <hr /></blockquote> Which part of that do you disagree with? Facts have always been an issue with liberals, they don't care about facts if the facts hurt their feelings.

There is already a ton of money going to the poor communities, just how much more do we need to give? Why just to the black communities, that is racist in itself? There are plenty of black folk who live in the US who families immigrated here after slavery, why should they profit? There are plenty of non-black families that have immigrated here after slavery, why should they be forced to pay?

Since you want to just give the reparations to the poor black communities what do you think the middle and upper class blacks are going to say when they don't get anything?

[ QUOTE ]
Ever since slavery, they have been denied good education, they have been discriminated against in the workplace, and have been for the most part denied any power in politics. <hr /></blockquote> What about after the civil rights movements, and the affirmative action laws? Seems to me that the blacks are given every opportunity to education and have for decades. Affirmative action was the discriminatory laws put into place to push blacks into jobs and then move them on up. As far as political positions, those are voted in.

[ QUOTE ]
What many people fail to realize, is the people that are on top of the economic food-chain, stay on top because a bottom exists. <hr /></blockquote> I don't think anyone fails to realize this common sense.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
03-13-2004, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr>
...If reparations were to be given, I believe that the money should be given to the African American communities, to help better the world around them, rather than give the money to single families.

<font color="blue">And exactly who is going to administer this money? The poverty pimps? The rhyming Reverends? The Al Sharptons of the world? So they can hop in their BMWs and drive back to the suburbs after skimming off their share?

You are absolutely killing me. </font color>

....If the bottom were to uproot, the top would crumble to the ground and all would be on the same level....

<font color="blue">What kind of whacked-out theory is this? Please explain. </font color>

This is one of the reasons why many people believe the concept of communism is great,

<font color="blue">The only people that think this now are residing in the halls of academia. Sadly they spread their gibberish to young minds like yours. </font color>

...The economic world is a Darwinian chaos, survival of the fittest. This is what is embedded in the minds of those who control this country.

<font color="blue">Of course it's survival of the fittest. You disagree with that? </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

nhp
03-13-2004, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which part of that do you disagree with? Facts have always been an issue with liberals, they don't care about facts if the facts hurt their feelings.
<hr /></blockquote>

Sigh. It's called word-twisting, Eg8r. That article you support and idolize is the exact same propaganda the KKK and the 'white power' groups use. They find a way to make people think that the pain and suffering the African Americans and other minoroties endured from this country is well deserved, and that rather than having anger towards being racially oppressed, they should kiss the feet of the white men. Sick and twisted thinking.

I think I'll go vomit now.

eg8r
03-13-2004, 10:42 PM
List the examples you refute. There are only 10 there, so it should not take you much time at all. It is people like yourself that want to continue showing the blacks as victims instead of letting them stand up and move on.

eg8r

Ralph S.
03-14-2004, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ever since slavery, they have been denied good education, they have been discriminated against in the workplace, and have been for the most part denied any power in politics. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> </font color> What about all the special college and higher education foundations specifically for African-American people? What about major political figures such as Jessee Jackson, Martin Luther King, and Malcom X?
I forgot to mention the lowering of SAT and entrance exam scores too. What about that? Where is the disadvantages? Please elaborate.

Iowashark
03-15-2004, 02:40 PM
What many people fail to realize, is the people that are on top of the economic food-chain, stay on top because a bottom exists. If the bottom were to uproot, the top would crumble to the ground and all would be on the same level. This is one of the reasons why many people believe the concept of communism is great, but the reality of it is not. When there is a level playing field, there is no competition, no drive for success <hr /></blockquote>

........establish the thought police, assign careers rather than earning them, everybody gets equal pay.

Are these you're original ideas? This sounds eerily close to Orwell's utopia of 1984.

Creepy.

TomBrooklyn
03-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Just to make sure no one takes me wrong, for the record I love Black people. And most Black people love me too. (http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com/index.html)

bluewolf
03-17-2004, 07:14 PM
I worked for about 9 years in a school population where many of the minority parents were on welfare. I believe that there are some programs in place to help these people, but perhaps not enough.

I do not think that giving them money is the answer. I think that giving them free education and childcare would be more beneficial to them and to society as a whole.

Some of them wanted to get out of the rut they were in and take advantage of such opportunities. For Others, unfortunately, the welfare system and subsidized housing, etc, were all that they had ever known and some of them did not know that there was a better way and did not understand the value of education.

I spent time with a lot of them and some I got through to and they were really trying to get out of that welfare trap with public assistance. Others, I could just not get through to. Where they were at, one of many generations on welfare,was all they understood and some were not motivated to change that.

So i guess time takes time. And if enough people try to help these minorities through education, compassion and encouragement, more with have the courage to break out into a better life, but do not think this is going to happen for most of them overnight.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
03-18-2004, 07:11 AM
That's funny Tom /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But what will Biff and Buffy's friends at the country club think? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com/images/notfunny.jpg

slap me five bro

Qtec
03-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Slave descendants to sue Lloyd's

Descendants of black American slaves are to sue Lloyd's of London for insuring ships used in the trade.
High-profile US lawyer Edward Fagan, who secured settlements from Swiss companies in the Nazi gold case, is taking the action for 10 plaintiffs.

He says by underwriting slave ships in the 1700-1800s the UK's oldest insurance firm played a significant role.

The action, to be lodged on Monday, will claim defendants still suffer.

The American plaintiffs have produced DNA evidence they say links them with ancestors on recorded slave ships which sailed between Africa and the United States.

One says he has the insurance documents from when Lloyd's of London underwrote the ship his ancestors were on

Yeah , right. LOL

Q

eg8r
03-29-2004, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The American plaintiffs have produced DNA evidence they say links them with ancestors on recorded slave ships which sailed between Africa and the United States.

One says he has the insurance documents from when Lloyd's of London underwrote the ship his ancestors were on

Yeah , right. LOL
<hr /></blockquote> Exactly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just another frivolous lawsuit wasting taxpayers money.

eg8r

Kato
03-29-2004, 05:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>The action, to be lodged on Monday, will claim defendants still suffer.
<hr /></blockquote>

This is a complete crock /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

One question and one question only. Was it against the law or an accepted practice at the time?

Kato

Kato
03-29-2004, 06:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>I think that giving them free education and childcare would be more beneficial to them and to society as a whole.<hr /></blockquote>

I'm sorry but I just can't fade this kind of thought. Why is it that only one ethnic group would get the benefits? What about the poor whites, Asians, Indians, European's, ect? What about equality? This doesn't sound equitable to me.

Kato~~~does not want to discuss politics but doesn't like people spending my tax money without asking. My answer is usually gonna be no. After all, I'm single with no children and earn a decent living. I get absolutely raped in the tax game and I'm sorry, you can't have any more without me going bankrupt or giving up pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Keith Talent
04-02-2004, 03:13 AM
I think I need a couple more beers before I could give a sensible answer.

But I believe one of the arch-righties, Charles Krauthammer, is on the record in favor of reparations. But I'm not certain why.

Because it would give a great sugar rush to the economy?

And because him and all of the swell folks he pals around with wouldn't feel any pain -- and would likely dodge it altogether -- while the rest of us working saps would pick up the tab?

Don't know, just guessing. No doubt it would drive a great wedge between ordinary whites and blacks, which is something the elites could only benefit from, because that could be used to divide and conquer politically.

And it's true there would be no end to the number of claims. Hey, we Irish were treated like $hit for a few generations after we got off the boat! Where's ours? Come to think of it, I'm, like, really traumatized! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

KGeeED
04-02-2004, 08:07 AM
None of my grandparents or parents had the opportunity to finish school. They all had to quit to help support their families. I attended a Detroit public school in the 50's. Blacks and some whites were bussed in from another part of town and sat next to me in the same school, the same room and had the same teachers. That was 50 years ago. Since then there have been at least 2 generations where the blacks have had an opportunity to get a education. There have been numerous outreach programs and other give me programs that none of my ancestors have had. All it takes is a little hard work like every sucessful person. They need to quit crying about something that happpened over 100 years ago. The other fact is let them get the money from a county that was defeated: The Confederate States. The United States did not promote slavery. Pay them in Confederate Dollars.

Thru time every nation and race have been subjected to slavery and abuse. The Jews, Egyptians, Irish, Polish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese. Name any county or nationality. If you can't protect it you lose it.

The United States was formed by people that had to leave their country to escape oppression and discrimination. Every religion and nationality that came here had a tough time. The majority of them came here as slaves. They were indentured servants.

Most hard working sucessful black person realises the opportunity that they were given and do not want any thing to be handed to them. They appreciate the fact that they did it on their own and their way.

bigshooter
04-02-2004, 07:26 PM
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

<hr /></blockquote>

Wow, that was quite shocking. Are you sure that wasn't written by the leader of the KKK? Whew, I hope he never comes across a poor African American who just read that.

<hr /></blockquote>

Actually Walter E. Williams who happens to be a black professor at George Mason University in Fairfax Virginia shares many of the same views expressed in that article.

Reparations article by Walter E. Williams. (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/walterwilliams/ww20010207.shtml)

SpiderMan
04-05-2004, 08:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigshooter:</font><hr>
Actually Walter E. Williams who happens to be a black professor at George Mason University in Fairfax Virginia shares many of the same views expressed in that article.

Reparations article by Walter E. Williams. (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/walterwilliams/ww20010207.shtml) <hr /></blockquote>

Our local newspaper has carried Walter Williams' column for years. The guy addresses every topic with logic and reason, and most of his ideas are right on. Hard to refute.

SpiderMan