PDA

View Full Version : Why are men better than women?

04-25-2002, 09:52 AM
Now I'm not a pool expert and it may be my own bad judgement, but it seems to me at the professional levels, men are better than women. I can understand other sports where physical aspects are more important, but why pool?

04-25-2002, 10:32 AM
Because there are more men playing Pool than women.

I'll give an extreme example...

Say that worldwide, 1 Billion men play Pool seriously. Out of those 1 Billion, you pick the 10 best. Now say that worldwide, only 100 women play Pool seriously. Out of those 100, you pick the 10 best.

Which group of 10 do you think is going to play better?

It's a matter of statistics.

(Being the engineer that I am, I realize this is an extremely simple and inaccurate model. For example, it doesn't account for women in that group of 100 being able to play men in that group of 1 billion. But it'll do to get the point across.)
/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Doctor_D
04-25-2002, 10:35 AM
Good afternoon:

I would have to agree with Mike, even with-out applying any actuarial mathematics, that the size of the statistical sampling would have a significant impact on the results.

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-25-2002, 11:26 AM
Mike,
10 best out of 1 billion or 10 best out of 100.. either way, "Best" is not defined, only the numbers.

Your example might as well be stated top ten "Best at anything" out of 1 million MEN and top 10 "best at having babies" out of women.. and it falls apart..

The skills of a Pro Pool players are only measured by their playing ability in competition against other Pros. When and if this ever happens.. its the only way to measure who is better.

Take the top 10 Men & Women pros and put them in a room and within 15 minutes, I garuntee they would all be picking on Earl.

04-25-2002, 11:28 AM
Of course the example falls apart if you pick "best at having babies". But that is because having babies is something only women can do. But both women and men can play Pool. When I said "best", it was obviously meant to indicate the 10 best Pool players out of those groups. What do you think I meant?

Chris Cass
04-25-2002, 11:45 AM
Hi Secant,

I don't think it's that we're better but we're definitely more aggressive. IMO I think it might be the testosterone(sp?) levels. Not to mention the 200 yr. start on them.
LMAO,

C.C.

Doctor_D
04-25-2002, 11:54 AM
Good afternoon:

Not to mention that pesky "Y" chromosome !

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

SpiderMan
04-25-2002, 01:30 PM
Chris,

I think it's more like a 200,000-year start. We've been selectively bred to have some advantage at these tactical/battlefield things. If we weren't successful, the women didn't mate with us and we didn't pass on the traits. It's not our fault.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Secant,

I don't think it's that we're better but we're definitely more aggressive. IMO I think it might be the testosterone(sp?) levels. Not to mention the 200 yr. start on them.
LMAO,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

PoolFan
04-25-2002, 01:50 PM
The statistical point of view is very interesting and I agree with that point. The bigger the sample group is the bigger the bell curve would be.

Point well made.

I also have another point of view. Women in the Pro arena of pool is fairly new, considering that the WPBA has only been around for 25 years. Men have had a bigger jump at experience. We all know that to become a better player you must play better players. I believe that if more women consistently played against the top men players, in no time we'd have more women who can rival the top males.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-25-2002, 04:54 PM
That is what I assumed.
Now, I am thinking that if there was tournament of the top 10 ladies and men pros, that there might be some upsets.. especially if the odds makers would think the men would bet high.. and the women low..

04-25-2002, 05:08 PM
I have to jump in on this one. Varner said long ago, they don't practice as much as the guys, I also feel women since they are more social individulals, they in turn have more relationships and social items affecting their time. I also think there is another huge item, and I'm sure to many I am wrong. Men when playing pool I feel are not as easily distracted as woment because, women seem to have much more going on within a thirty second time frame than men. Women will think all the things guys do before and during a shot but also, see a color, hear a wisper, smell a purfume, etc. these I think add to their distraction catagoy when it comes to the basic, "make the ball and get shape". To put it in simple terms, men pros may have twenty items to consider for each shot, women may have double that going on. Just IMO. BF

04-25-2002, 05:17 PM
It seems to me that men grasp the concept of CB control and position patterns and options more easily. Women seem to be able to sink balls at the same level as men. It's their chose of position that gets them in trouble. It also seems that the women we see playing 9-ball, only plat 9-ball. The men play 1-hole, banks, straight, 8-ball and thus they learn different strategies and styles. Just my opinion. Jim R.

Sid_Vicious
04-25-2002, 05:20 PM
I concur. The cave man was honed to focus on being still and thinking very little while in wait for his prey, and then he attacked and killed. All the while the women were gathering colorful berries and talking amongst one another. So you see men are more adapted to "the hunt" for the kill/win, and women need to "collect" the berries. Hence, lack of focus...sid

cheesemouse
04-25-2002, 05:47 PM
Sid,
Well Sid you got quite a set of garbonzo beans there. Duck!!!!In coming!!!!!!!LMAO /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

phil in sofla
04-25-2002, 09:34 PM
I'd go with socialization effects, and age-group participation differences.

Once women's swimming started with the pre-teens, US women swimmers caught up with the men's times dramatically. To illustrate, Don Scholander was the Mark Spitz of his day, reaping a fistful of gold medals. A scant 8 or 12 years later, his gold medal, then-world-record time in one of his events would have put him in the women's final, but out of the medals, about 5th.

Now, women may never catch men in swimming for anything under the most lengthy of events, as a matter of physical differences. (The endurance swimming records, like crossing the English Channel, are held by women even now, again for physical differences-- more buoyancy, less drag, greater long-term energy available from fat stores, etc.).

But there aren't significant enough physical differences in pool for that to be true, IMO.

Once it becomes acceptable enough for pre-teen females to hang out endlessly at pool halls and get that kind of a head start before they enter early adulthood, as plenty of males do, in numbers comparable to the men, these differences will be made up quickly. Even now, you'll find many of the best players of either gender having some kind of head start, such as having a pool hall owner for a parent.

04-25-2002, 09:55 PM
More like chick peas if you ask me. But then you didn't ask.

Fran (still laughing)

Gayle in MD
04-25-2002, 10:36 PM
HHHHHHMMMM, but then that night, after all the hanky panky, when the cave man collapsed into oblivion, the women were the ones wide awake, keeping the fire going so he wouldn't get eaten up by the wild animals! LMAO.....ever noticed how it puts men asleep, and wakes women up? Ever wondered why????
Gayle in Md, Thinks you guys would've all been eaten alive if it weren't for us chatty, berry collectors, LMAO!!!

Rod
04-26-2002, 12:08 AM
Gayle, what kind of berrys do you collect? LOL

Ralph S.
04-26-2002, 01:02 AM
Sounds like "Battle of the Sexes" round 1 beginning to form. LOL.
Ralph S.

04-26-2002, 01:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MrSecant:</font><hr> Now I'm not a pool expert and it may be my own bad judgement, but it seems to me at the professional levels, men are better than women. I can understand other sports where physical aspects are more important, but why pool? <hr></blockquote>

I overheard the current world champion:

"Men are the hunter and woman are the hunted".

I didn't say it,just a quote ;o) BS

Chris Cass
04-26-2002, 02:05 AM
Hi Spiderman,

Yeh, sure, I'll buy it. Wonder if the women will? LOL By the way, good picture on Tom's site.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
04-26-2002, 02:09 AM
Hi Dr. D.,

Not sure of the "Y" chromosome? I know we have the "didya, didya" chromosome. HAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
04-26-2002, 02:17 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh Gayle,

HAHAHAHAHA, wait a minute. Why is that? lolololol
You women thinking about berrys? Seriously, we act like we're sleeping so we don't have to talk.

Regards,

C.C.~~ruined it for Jim. lollol

Gayle in MD
04-26-2002, 07:40 AM
Ah HA HA HA HA....Well, if that's the case, then my Jim gets the Academy Award for snoring on cue, LMAO,
Gayle in MD...thinks the blueberrys are the best, LOL

SpiderMan
04-26-2002, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I wonder too. Of course, I'd also like to think that the only thing separating me from Buddy Hall is a misspent youth.

Thanks! If I remember correctly, that was a game-winning combo at our league's Christmas tourney a year ago. "Sid Vicious" took the picture and I kept it as a remembrance. That's my old Meucci cue.

SpiderMan

Chris Cass
04-26-2002, 08:11 AM
Hi Spiderman,

What are you shooting with now?

Regards,

C.C.

PoolFan
04-26-2002, 08:21 AM
Some topics just never get resolved in a forum.

Why not ask, what is beyond the universe?

04-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Hey Gayle, I tried an experiment this morning. I went to Manhattan to try to collect colorful berries and talk with the local women to see if anything primal would kick-in.

The women ignored me but the berries were on sale so I bought them. I honestly think I felt something tingling in my genes when I got over to the pool room afterwards. A local guy approached me asking for a lesson and I explained to him that it probably wouldn't be a good idea right now because I wont be able to focus because I just gathered colorful berries and talked with the local women.

He walked away scratching his head.

Did I do good?

Fran

PoolFan
04-26-2002, 09:40 AM
Touche - great come back

Kato
04-26-2002, 10:02 AM
Fran, I'm in pain that's so funny. I AM MAN, I HIT YOU WITH CLUB. YOU ARE WOMAN, GO GATHER BERRY. GRUNT, GRUNT, GRUNT.

Kato

04-26-2002, 10:17 AM
Fran, you gots it all wrong 'bout why men are better'n wimmen, at pool. I was watching TV the other night; a feature on serial killers, and it seems that they, and other violent criminals, have high levels of testosterone. Also athletes and others engaged in competition, even chess players show higher levels of that hormone. Don't know if they tested male figure skaters, but it's easy to figure that testerone must be important in an agressive, or competitive situation.There is also a lowering of the calming hormone, serotonin.
But, there is always an exception to the rule: Jeanne Carmen, now in her 70's (an still lookin good) was an aspiring model/actress, whose good looks got her hired by a golf trick shot artist, to assist in the act. She was a natural, and could soon do all of his shots. She ended up in Las Vegas, playing high stakes golf matches, winning most of them. She also dated many stars, like Elvis, Sinatra, etc, and became friends with MM. Jeanne made a few "B" movies; who could forget the forgettable "Monster of Piedras Blancas"? Looking at her photos, www.jeannecarmen.com/ (http://www.jeannecarmen.com/), I don't think she was pumping out too much testerone. And sadly, a couple of days ago, another "B" movie star passed away. Linda Borman, aka Linda Lovelace, who made one cult movie, then spent the rest of her life, working to prevent women from becoming victims of ...

cheesemouse
04-26-2002, 10:39 AM
Why are men...............
...the hunter gatherer line is more like...have you ever seen a guy hunting for the jiffy-pop's at the grocery store??? commentator in a hushed voice....after he walks by his prey twice w/o seeing it he stops and stands sniffing the air, then calmly quietly he reaches into his pouch and pulls out the cell phone and calls his woman...the day is saved and his family group can rest assured that this man can still provide with his well honed hunting skills.

SpiderMan
04-26-2002, 10:54 AM
Chris,

It's sort of a long story - my team had just gotten eliminated last May, and maybe I was in touch with my feminine side, so I comforted myself with a little shopping spree. But instead of new shoes, I wound up at the Jacoby booth and bought a cue. Picked it impulsively, on looks alone - it had a combination of ebony and birdseye that appealed to me. I didn't start trying to shoot with it until a few weeks later, because I wanted to keep using the Meucci during a week-long visit in Phoenix and daily play with Rod Elliott. When I finally got around to shooting with the Jacoby, I found it very stiff as well as forward-balanced for my taste. It has a stainless joint, and the ebony is up front. Anyway, I couldn't make a ball for a month, but I was determined, and now I play fairly well with it.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Spiderman,

What are you shooting with now?

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

04-26-2002, 03:35 PM
MrSecant,

You sure as hell are not a pool expert! Men are not better
than women.

Anonymous

rackmup
04-26-2002, 04:33 PM
I don't know all of the answers but this might help.

Women vs Men at the ATM:

HIM:

1. Pull up to ATM
2. Insert card
3. Enter PIN number
4. Take cash, card and receipt

HER:

1. Pull up to ATM
2. Check makeup in rearview mirror
3. Shut off engine
4. Put keys in purse
5. Get out of car because you're too far from machine
6. Hunt for card in purse
7. Insert card
8. Hunt in purse for tampon wrapper with PIN number written on it
9. Enter PIN number
10. Study instructions for at least 2 minutes.
11. Hit -cancel-
12. Re-enter correct PIN number
13. Check balance
14. Look for envelope
15. Look in purse for pen
16. Make out deposit slip
17. Endorse checks
18. Make deposit
19. Study instructions
20. Make cash withdrawal
21. Get in car
22. Check makeup
23. Look for keys
24. Start car
25. Check makeup
26. Start pulling away
27. STOP
28. Back up to machine
29. Get out of car
30. Take card and receipt
31. Get back in car
32. Put card in wallet
33. Put receipt in checkbook
34. Enter deposits and withdrawals in checkbook
35. Clear area in purse for wallet and checkbook
36. Check makeup
37. Put car in gear, reverse
38. Put car in drive
39. Drive away from machine
40. Travel 3 miles
41. Release parking brake

Other comparisons:

Men vs Women

SUCCESS:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.
A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

STYLE:
Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

MONEY MANAGEMENT:
A man is a person who will pay two dollars for a one dollar item he wants.
A woman will pay one dollar for a two dollar item that she doesn't want.

HAPPINESS:
To be happy with a man you must understand him a lot and love him a little.
To be happy with a woman you must love her a lot and not try to understand her at all.

MARRIAGE EXPECTATIONS:
A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn't.
A man marries a woman expecting that she won't change and she does.

MARRIAGE DECISIONS:
Men marry because they are tired.
Women marry because they are curious.
Both are disappointed.

MARRIAGE AND THE FUTURE:
A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband,
A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.

MEMORIES:
A woman will always cherish the memory of the man who wanted to marry her.
A man cherishes the memory of the woman who he didn't marry.

UNDERSTANDING WOMEN:
There are two times when a man doesn't understand a woman - before marriage and after marriage.

WHAT A WOMAN WANTS:
Only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy...
- One is to let her think she is having her own way.
- The other is to let her have it.

LONGEVITY:
Married men live longer than single men, but married men are a lot more willing to die.

MISTAKES:
Any married man should forget his mistakes - no use
two people remembering the same thing.

THE BATTLE:
A woman always has the last word in any argument.
Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

And lastly:

EATING OUT:
If "P.J.", "Melanie", "Jan" and "Judi" go out for lunch,
they will call each other Judi, Melanie, Jan and P.J..
But if "Doug", "Steve", "Jim" and "Don" go out for a brewsky,
they will affectionately refer to each other
as Fat Boy, Godzilla, Peanut-Head and Useless.
And when the check comes,
Doug, Steve, Jim and Don will each throw in $20 bills,
even though it's only for $22.50.
None of them will have anything smaller,
and none will actually admit they want change back.
When the girls get their check,
out come the pocket calculators.

BATHROOMS:
A man has five items in his bathroom-
a toothbrush, shaving cream, razor, a bar of Dial soap,
and a towel from the Holiday Inn.
The average number of items
in the typical woman's bathroom is 437.
A man would not be able
to identify most of these items.

GROCERIES:
A woman makes a list of things she needs
and then goes out to the store and buys these things.
A man waits till the only items left in his fridge
are half a lime and a soda.
Then he goes grocery shopping.
He buys everything that looks good.
By the time a man reaches the checkout counter,
his cart is packed tighter than
the Clampett's car on Beverly Hillbillies.
Of course, this will not stop him from going
to the 10-items-or-less lane.

SHOES:
When preparing for work,
a woman will put on a Mondi wool suit,
then slip on Reebok sneakers.
She will carry her dress shoes
in a plastic bag from Saks.
When a woman gets to work,
she will put on her dress shoes.
Five minutes later, she will kick them off
because her feet are under the desk.
A man will wear the same pair of shoes all day.

CATS:
Women love cats.
Men say they love cats,
but when women aren't looking,
men kick cats.

DRESSING UP:
A woman will dress up to:
go shopping, water the plants, empty the garbage,
answer the phone, read a book, get the mail.
A man will dress up for:
weddings, funerals.

LAUNDRY:
Women do laundry every couple of days.
A man will wear every article of clothing he owns,
including his surgical pants that were hip
about eight years ago, before he will do his laundry.
When he is finally out of clothes,
he will wear a dirty sweatshirt inside out,
rent a U-Haul and take his mountain of clothes
to the Laundromat.
Men always expect to meet beautiful women at the Laundromat.
( This is a myth perpetuated by reruns of old episodes of "Love, American Style." )

OFFSPRING:
Ah, children.
A woman knows all about her children.
She knows about dentist appointments, soccer games
romances, best friends, favorite foods,
secret fears, hopes and dreams.
A man is vaguely aware
of some short people living in the house.

Regards,

Ken (living proof that some of this stuff is TRUE!)

04-26-2002, 04:52 PM
You all made me laugh long and hard. Sid you sure took a serious subject and totally rotated it 180 degrees and from their put it on a vine, and boy if that snake didn't take off, thanks again, chuckling.still........
BF

04-26-2002, 05:06 PM
Millions of men and women in the world. Some do things better than the other. I'm a man who's proud to be a man and proud of all my strengths as well.
IF I ever need life threatening surgery..I want the surgeon to be a women. My dentist is a women and the best I have ever had. My lawyer is a women and she is IMO the absolute best. My accountant is a women and is very good at it. Women are amazing creatures- and if they wanted to organize and become better at pool than we supposedly are, they could!. The men that know women must know in your hearts they could do it! Don't forget guys...pool requires a lot of finesse.

Voodoo Daddy
04-26-2002, 05:19 PM
Ken, you are either the funniest man on the planet...bar-none or my evil half brother seperated from me at birth {without my mom knowing of course} you have topped all other post in the laughter department with this one partner...

Voodoo...when he goes out with Stinky, Monkey Boy and Swamp Thing...will expalin the word according to Ken...LMFAO!!!

Barbara
04-26-2002, 05:42 PM
Okay Ken,

After that LAST post, I'm laying odds on how long your current marriage will last, or before you get hit, whichever comes first. On lasting, I'll go 3 1/2-5 years.

I suspect your first bruise has already come and gone.

Barbara

04-26-2002, 05:44 PM
Oh yes they are. Clearly better, and probably for a long time to come.

In a day in and day out nine-ball race to 15 between the best female and male pool player in the world, the female maybe wins 5 to 6 games, on average. (this is assuming the male doesn't get bored after a few days, or starts feeling sorry for the woman)

04-26-2002, 05:54 PM
OK...the bathroom thing is true, but I'm not admitting to anything else.

Thanks for the laughs, Ken. It's one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

Fran

Gayle in MD
04-26-2002, 05:59 PM
Fran, HAHAHAHAHAHA....Geeze woman, boy do you live dangerously, WOW, now that's what I call ASKING FOR IT!!! AS IN "IT!" Walking right through Manhattan with berries in your arms,,,, and you didn't get, get, well you know....if you're going to continue to do such provocative things in broad daylight, well just don't say I didn't warn you.
LMAO....
Gayle...thinks it's friday, HUMMMMM....

Chris Cass
04-26-2002, 06:51 PM
I heard they were stiff. I know Tony Zierman got one free to shoot in the MN tourney's. Kind of like a sponsorship and thanks for letting us work the site. I've met Brandon and if you were planning on attending some larger events I bet he would give you a cue to represent his dad's shop.

I would but I'm stuck on my S.W. too late in the game to change. The tourney's next mth in Vegas. I like the way they do they're wraps. They don't drill into the butt.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
04-26-2002, 07:05 PM
Ken,

That had to be the funniest post, I've ever read. That was #1 of all the posts I've ever read.

LMAO,

C.C.

Chris Cass
04-26-2002, 07:08 PM
Hey A,

You had me up to the Linda Lovelace part.

Chris Cass
04-26-2002, 07:12 PM
Voodoo,

Come back home where you belong. Monkey Boy? LMFAO Swamp Thing? even harder.

Best Regards Your friend,

C.C.~~Stinky? LOLLOL

Rod
04-26-2002, 07:46 PM
People always bring their 2nd cues to play me. Some even stop at Kmart first! I feel like the other Rodney, Dangerfield that is. I'll tell ya I get no respect!

Rod
04-26-2002, 08:05 PM
BATHROOMS:
Always accompany guests to the bathroom. It is not necessary to do anything. Just sit and stare.

DOORS:
Do not allow any closed doors in any room. To get door open, stand on hind legs and hammer with forepaws. Once door is opened, it is not necessary to use it. After you have ordered an "outside" door opened, stand halfway in and out and think about several things. This is particularly important during very cold weather, rain, snow, or mosquito season. Besides humans need the excercise.

CHAIRS AND RUGS:
If you have to throw up, get to a chair quickly. If you cannot manage in time, get to an Oriental rug. If there is no Oriental rug, shag is good. When throwing up on the carpet, make sure you back up so it is as long as a human's bare foot.

HAMPERING:
If one of your humans is engaged in some activity and the other is idle, stay with the busy one. This is called "helping," otherwise known as "hampering." Following are the rules for "hampering:"
1) When supervising cooking, sit just behind the left heel of the cook. You cannot be seen and thereby stand a better chance of being stepped on and then picked up and comforted.
2) For book readers, get in close under the chin, between eyes and book, unless you can lie across the book itself.
3) For paperwork, lie on the work in the most appropriate manner so as to obscure as much of the work as possible or at least. Pretend to doze,but every so often reach out and slap the pencil or pen.
4) For people paying bills or working on income taxes or Christmas cards, keep in mind the aim: to hamper! First, sit on the paper being worked on. When dislodged, watch sadly from the side of the table. When activity proceeds nicely, roll around on the papers, scattering them to the best of your ability. After being removed for the second time, push pens, pencils, and erasers off the table, one at a time.
5) When a human is holding the newspaper in front of him/her, be sure to jump on the back of the paper. Humans love to jump.
6) When human is working at computer, jump up on desk, walk across keyboard, bat at mouse pointer on screen and then lay in human's lap across arms, hampering typing in progress. WALKING:As often as possible, dart quickly and as close as possible in front of the human, especially: on stairs, when they have something in their arms, in the dark, and when they first get up in the morning. This will help their coordination skills.

BEDTIME:
Always sleep on the human at night so he/she cannot move around.

LITTER BOX:
When using the litter box, be sure to kick as much litter out of the box as possible. Humans love the feel of kitty litter between their toes.

HIDING:
Every now and then, hide in a place where the humans cannot find you. Do not come out for three to four hours under any circumstances. This will cause the humans to panic (which they love) thinking that you have run away or are lost. Once you do come out, the humans will cover you with love and kisses and you will probably get a treat.

ONE LAST THOUGHT:
Whenever possible, get close to a human, especially their face, turn around, and present your butt to them. Humans love this, so do it often. And don't forget guests.

Here Kitty Kitty, SMACK!! LOL
A good cat though until he wakes up!

Rod
04-26-2002, 08:39 PM
HER SIDE OF THE STORY:

He was in an odd mood Sunday night. We planned to meet at a bar for a drink. I spent the afternoon shopping with the girls and I thought it might have been my fault, because I was a bit later than I promised, but he didn't say | anything about it.

The conversation was very slow going so I thought we should go off somewhere more intimate so we could talk more privately. We went to this restaurant and he was STILL acting a bit funny.

I tried to cheer him up and started to wonder whether it was me or something else. I asked him and he said no. But I wasn't really sure.

In the car on the way back home, I said that I loved him deeply and he just put his arm around me. I didn't know what the hell that meant, because you know he didn't say it back or anything.

We finally got back home and I was wondering if he was going to leave me! So I tried to get him to talk, but he just switched on the TV.

Reluctantly, I said I was going to go to bed.

Then after about 10 minutes, he joined me and to my surprise, we made love!!! But, he still seemed really distracted, so afterwards I just wanted to confront him, but I just cried myself to sleep.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I mean, I really think he's seeing someone else.

HIS SIDE OF THE STORY:

The Cowboys lost, again ... ... ... Got laid though.

Voodoo Daddy
04-27-2002, 12:12 AM
Stinky got the name in H.S. for never changing his sox...man it was brutal. Monkey Boy is my best friend..cant tell that story on the web but its way outta control. Swamp Thing is a buddy who is a cop who went after a guy in a swampy section of town...came back with the culprit covered in mud and cat-tails...too funny!!

Voodoo...lives with his handle everyday

04-27-2002, 04:39 AM
Anonymous2,

Where do they play 15 racks of 9-Ball pool in your rec room.
Do you take me for a fool? Was your data gathered in some APA league. I can assure you none of your phoney stats will
make me believe men are better than women at anything. Women
can even take the trash out better than men.

Anonymous 1

Eric.
04-27-2002, 08:51 AM
Ken,

That is one of my favorite e-mails. You gotta laugh!

Eric &gt;Ph.D in Relationship Butchering

Greg/Diamond
04-27-2002, 04:34 PM
I believe there is no mental or physical reason why the women can't play as well as the men. The women have greatly improved their play in the last several years, but it is my opinion they need to do a few things to jump to a new level. For one, to be the best in any sport one needs to play against the best. Secondly, I think it would help anyone to play other games such as bank pool, one pocket or straight pool. Any new bank, safety or acquired strategy will definitely become useful in other games such as 8-ball or 9-ball. At my Derby City Classic tournament I try to practice what I preach. I even offer an additional $10,000 now to the player who is crowned as the "master of the table" or "all round champion". Also I will never promote a tournament that is only for men or only for women. My tournaments are genderless! If you can "PLAY" then hopefully you will be rewarded. I'm not avocating the abolishment of the womens tour, what happens only time will tell. I do however think pool will reach new heights when and if it becomes genderless. We need sponsers and dividing them among two separate sexes doesn't seem to be the best approach. Sponsers want numbers of viewers and excitement. I'm not saying we are ready for this change yet, but I'll gamble that it's coming and I want to use my event to start it.. With the format and low entree fees, I am getting women to view the DCC as a learning experience. They certainly add interest and class. They dress very well and have proven in their own pro tour they handle themselves very well. I can only see positive things coming from men playing women equally! Also I may as well say this. Besides playing a more variety of games, the players I feel are or were the best, at one time or another Gambled. I felt this fact must be noted as this form of competion must improve one's ability to play. Take this anyway you want.. Greg/Diamond

Tom_In_Cincy
04-27-2002, 04:39 PM
Greg/Diamond...

The only two major tournaments I plan on attending are the US Open and The DERBY City Classic. Always look forward to my two favorite times of the year.

Your tournaments is full of great players and games of all kinds.. 10 days and 24 hour action each day, full of Pool's wildest and greatest characters.

Many women have taken part is this tournament.

04-27-2002, 04:55 PM
I haven't read all the many posts that your questions has produced, but in case no one else has mentioned it, we are bigger than they are (most of us)- a definite advantage. We can stretch farther, go to the mechanical bridge less frequently, and handle the difficult and clumsy situations that arise when you're jacked up, because our hands are bigger. Also, there are a lot more men that have been playing serious pool for an extended period than women, putting the numbers and odds in our favor.

Aside from that, I'm not sure we have any advantage at all. And what there is, is shrinking fast. We may have to quit letting them Brits and Orientals into the country. They're killing us already. But I love 'em - and so should the ladies' tour.

rackmup
04-27-2002, 10:39 PM
Ken and his wife, Laura, were at a party chatting with some friends when the subject of marriage counseling came up. "Oh, we'll never need that. My husband and I have a great relationship," Laura explained. "He was a communications major in college and I majored in theater arts. He communicates real well and I just act like I'm listening."

(so you see, Barbara, we'll be just fine.)

Regards,

Ken

04-27-2002, 11:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> "He was a communications major in college and I majored in theater arts. He communicates real well and I just act like I'm listening."

Ken <hr></blockquote>

now, that's funny!

dan..(kindof a twist on the russian joke "we pretend to work and they pretend to pay us".

Doctor_D
04-28-2002, 03:29 PM
Good afternoon:

Funny, but absolutely true. Pookie is one who loves to hear himself speak so I learned very quickly how to tune him out when he had little of value to say

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

SpiderMan
04-28-2002, 08:30 PM
Chris,

Actually, I like the construction and workmanship, but I do wish it had a more conventional balance. So I emailed them about a week ago, asking if they would be in 'Vegas next month and if they had any cues with more normal balance. I wasn't asking for a freebie, rather to "trade up" and pay the difference on another cue. But so far, I've gotten no response.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> I heard they were stiff. I know Tony Zierman got one free to shoot in the MN tourney's. Kind of like a sponsorship and thanks for letting us work the site. I've met Brandon and if you were planning on attending some larger events I bet he would give you a cue to represent his dad's shop.

I would but I'm stuck on my S.W. too late in the game to change. The tourney's next mth in Vegas. I like the way they do they're wraps. They don't drill into the butt.

Regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

TonyM
04-29-2002, 12:04 AM
Unfortunately the bigger is better argument (at least when referring to pool players!) goes out the window when you look at players like Nick Varner or Alex Pagulayan! Most of the ladies are actually taller than both of those great players. So in this case, size doesn't matter......

Tony
-still thinks that it is a numbers game, not inate ability...

04-29-2002, 01:25 AM
&gt;
&gt; Subject: Quotes to make you feel smarter
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; You will feel smarter after you read these responses.
&gt;
&gt; Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?
&gt; Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live
&gt; forever,
&gt; because
&gt; if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we
&gt; cannot
&gt; live forever, which is why I would not live forever."
&gt; Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss USA contest.
&gt;
&gt; "Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the
&gt; world,
&gt; I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not
&gt; with
&gt; all those
&gt; flies and death and stuff."
&gt; Mariah Carey
&gt;
&gt; "Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part
&gt; of your
&gt; life."
&gt; Brooke Shields, during an interview to become spokesperson for a federal
&gt;
&gt; anti-
&gt; smoking campaign.
&gt;
&gt; "I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my
&gt; body."
&gt; Winston Bennett, University of Kentucky basketball forward.
&gt;
&gt; "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime
&gt; rates in
&gt; the
&gt; country."
&gt; Washington, DC. Mayor Marion Barry.
&gt;
&gt; "We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
&gt; Jason Kidd, upon his drafting to the Dallas Mavericks.
&gt;
&gt; "I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We
&gt; are the
&gt; president."
&gt; Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents.
&gt;
&gt; "That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death by a jackass,
&gt; and I'm
&gt; just the one to do it."
&gt; A congressional candidate in Texas.
&gt;
&gt; "I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from
&gt; them.
&gt; There were great numbers
&gt; of people who needed new land, and the Indians were
&gt; selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."
&gt; John Wayne.
&gt;
&gt; "Half this game is ninety percent mental."
&gt; Philadelphia Phillies manager, Danny Ozark
&gt;
&gt; "It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the
&gt; impurities in
&gt; our air and water that are
&gt; doing it."
&gt; Vice President Al Gore.
&gt;
&gt; "If you let that sort of thing go on, your bread and butter will be
&gt; cut
&gt; right out from under your feet."
&gt; Former British foreign minister, Ernest Bevin.
&gt;
&gt; "I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix."
&gt; Dan Quayle
&gt;
&gt; "It's no exaggeration to say that the undecideds could go one way or
&gt;
&gt; another."
&gt; US President George Bush.
&gt;
&gt; "We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we
&gt; need?"
&gt; Lee Iacocca
&gt;
&gt; "I was provided with additional input that was radically different
&gt; from the
&gt; truth. I assisted in
&gt; furthering that version."
&gt; Colonel Oliver North, from his Iran-Contra testimony.
&gt;
&gt; "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius
&gt; is a guy like
&gt; Norman Einstein."
&gt; Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback &amp; sports analyst.
&gt;
&gt; "We don't necessarily discriminate. We simply exclude certain types
&gt; of
&gt; people."
&gt; Colonel Gerald Wellman, ROTC Instructor.
&gt;
&gt; "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
&gt; President Bill Clinton.
&gt;
&gt; "We are ready for an unforeseen event that may or may not
&gt; occur."
&gt; Al Gore.
&gt;
&gt; "Traditionally, most of Australia's imports come from
&gt; overseas."
&gt; Keppel Enderbery
&gt;
&gt; "The loss of life will be irreplaceable."
&gt; Dan Quayle
&gt;
&gt; "I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I
&gt; have is
&gt; that I didn't study my
&gt; Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people."
&gt; Dan Quayle.
&gt;
&gt; "It is wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago!"
&gt; Dan Quayle.
&gt;
&gt; "Hawaii is a unique state. It is a small state. It is a state that
&gt; is by
&gt; itself. It is different from
&gt; the other 49 states. Well, all states are different, but it's got a
&gt; particularly unique situation."
&gt; Dan Quayle.
&gt;
&gt; "Your food stamps will be stopped effective March 1992 because we
&gt; received
&gt; notice that
&gt; you passed away. May God bless you. You may reapply if there is
&gt; a change in your circumstances."
&gt; Department of Social Services in Greenville, South Carolina.
&gt;
&gt; "We apologize for the error in last week's paper in which we stated
&gt; that Mr.
&gt; Arnold Dogbody
&gt; was a defective in the police force. We meant, of course,
&gt; that Mr. Dogbody is a detective in the police farce."
&gt; Correction Notice in the Ely Standard, a British newspaper.
&gt;
&gt; "If somebody has a bad heart, they can plug this jack in at night as
&gt; they go
&gt; to bed and it
&gt; will monitor their heart throughout the night. And the next morning,
&gt; when they wake up dead, there'll be a record."
&gt; Mark S. Fowler.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;

&gt; --- End Attached Message---

04-29-2002, 01:51 AM
I somehow doubt he was talking about pool.

04-29-2002, 04:18 AM
I've always had this theory as to why the men are better than the women (on a professional level). I think it has to do with the way they were taught to play. Generally speaking, MEN have taught men and MEN have taught women. Since this is usually the case, the men who do the teaching treat women differently. The student man isn't praised as much as the student woman. For example, a beginner male plays a weak safety. His mentor, teacher, whatever, will tell the beginner male that the safety was weak-not good enough and suggest a different safety. The beginner female plays a weak safety and she hears not only from her mentor but from every male watching how great the shot is and what a nice decision she made. Then, the mentor and every man in the room will suggest a better way. This sounds great. The women get all the encouragement, however, what it really does is enforce the idea that her weak safety was great. Whereas, the man is fully aware that he must do better. As time progresses, the men are taught to play tougher and tougher knowing that all the other male players can easly kick at that weak safety. The women learn to settle meaning the safety is good enough because all the other women play the same weak safeties. The end result is that the top women players do not HAVE to play as good as the top men players in order to defeat their own gender. Now having said that, this is my opinion about the present day learning and future play of the women. There is no reason why a woman can not play as well as a man. And there are many who do. Now women are playing more. It is a growing game for females, and they want to play tougher. If women learn just as the men learn (which I believe they are now) and compete in the same realm as the men, they will play just as well. Television has really helped to show the differences between the men and women. Kids and beginners today can see the difference in competition. The break for example--people watch Johnny Archer on television playing Corey Deuel. Johnny breaks and fails to pocket a ball. He goes back to his chair and sits while Corey breaks and runs out four racks. The spectator can tell that Johnny is pissed right after his break and he is not shocked at all that he doesn't get to shoot again for a while. Now, Allison Fisher fails to pocket a ball on her break against Karen Corr. Allison is upset knowing that Karen is PROBABLY out. But Karen may have a bad break too. The difference is that Johnny KNOWS Corey is out and won't have a bad break. Allison doesn't HAVE to break like Corey Deuel or Johnny Archer in order to beat Karen Corr. That's the bottom line. In the past and right now the top women do not HAVE to play as good as the men in order to win. But Allison wants to break like Johnny just like the rest of us women do, and we will.

04-29-2002, 04:38 AM
I have to disagree with the distraction thing. There are two things that distract me when I play (I am a woman). One is when my opponent is standing up near me when I shoot and the second is (and this is ridiculous but it has happened to everyone) when someone is at eye level to the pocket I am shooting at hoping to watch from the other end as I attempt to shoot in that pocket. Those are fairly reasonable distractions. Men, however, have the whole sex thing going on all the time, and the slightest leg movement from a nearby woman is cause enough to miss a straight in 9 ball. I hear men talk and see men being distracted all the time. I was even asked by a man (who knows me so well that I sometimes think he forgets I am a woman)why I had to cross my legs just as he was about to shoot. And all the men around laughed as if I should have known better.

04-30-2002, 06:07 PM
I try to do all I can to help out ;-) sid~~~didn't word the berries thing too well, huh