PDA

View Full Version : Small man Large break

#### leonard
03-12-2004, 11:55 AM
This post is for the scientists on the Board. I will start with my first encounter with Andy Bakerian. I was playing pool in Whitey's poolroom, immortalized by Steve Wulf, a reporter for the Miami Herald covering the Willie Mosconi/Rex Williams match at Jackie Gleasons Inverrary CC.

Steve started his article with the first time as a boy, he climbed the three flights of stairs to Whitey"s and found himself in a beautiful old dance hall with 20+ pooltables,metal ceilings and a balcony overlooking the room.

Now for Andy, he went behind the desk and grabbed the billiard balls and went over to the table and started playing. That was a no/no at Whitey's but Whitey came over to me and said Andy helped him repair tables and on the table I was playing on he once put all nineballs in on the break. He would play in three games at one time, nineball,rotation and Keno but they wouldn't let him break Keno because he would put as many as 10 balls up on the board.

The next time I saw Andy was 5 years later when he came into the poolroom I was managing. I querried him on his putting all nineballs in which he said he had and he had put 7 of 9 twice. I asked him to give me a nineball breaking demo which he agreed to saying I haven't hit a ball in 5 years, so let me warmup first.

He spent 15 minutes getting his bridge hand loosened up. Then he gave me a three hour demo with me just racking after every break. The least balls in put in was two and the highest was 6 balls.

Here is what I found amazing was he held the cue with his ring and baby finger and his other fingers just dangled pointing down. He never lunged,jumped or any physical movement that would generate the power that the balls were reacting to. The sound was as if a bomb went off when he hit the balls. They seemed to acquire more speed after hitting the cushions.

This part was even more amazing was at 5ft 7 and 125 lbs I had two inches and 10 lbs. on him.

Cueless Joey
03-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Rudolfo Luat is even lighter than that but he makes the rack explode too.
I'm guessing it's all timing and a ton of wrist action.
I break harder if I don't use my shoulder.
If I just use my forearm and wrist, I get good enough of a break.

Rod
03-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Hi Leonard,

Interesting concept, using the last two fingers. Heck I might even give it a try. I have played with my middle fingers and it does change what muscle groups is used in the arm. I'd imagine it might help take tension out of the forearm and or shoulder for some which could make it more accurate. Relaxed muscles go faster.

Rod

Eric.
03-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Hi ####,

I don't have the experience you do, but I'll throw in my .02...

When I was younger, I was into Martial Arts. The technique to drive your hand through boards was not to muscle it, but just the opposite. The power in the puch is a combination of speed and timing. In a nut shell, you want your hand/arm loose and fluid to generate the maximum speed. At the moment of impact, you tighten up, then follow though to a point past the object. Now, there are a ton of subtle little things that contribute to good technique such as twisting the hips, pushing off the back foot with the leg drive,etc. Even though my description sucks, the point I'm trying to make is that with good technique, there is alot going on that doesnt meet the eye and when done correctly, looks effortless. My old teacher was able to generate tremendous power with only a 2" punch. Oh, did I mention that he was about the size of your buddy?

Eric

Barbara
03-12-2004, 02:05 PM
This sounds suspciously like Chris Cass!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

But what do I know?... I'm just some broad...

SRpool
03-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Hi Leonard,

I'm also not sure about only using the last two fingers as a method but I do know about being small and breaking hard. Rudolfo Luat is about 5'2 and 100 pounds soaking wet. He smashes the balls. I am 5'1 and about 120 and the hardest I hit the balls was 28mph. It is all timing and arm speed. It is very comparable to swinging a golf club in my opinion.

just my opinion.
Sarah

cycopath
03-12-2004, 03:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SRpool:</font><hr>I am 5'1 and about 120 and the hardest I hit the balls was 28mph. <hr /></blockquote>

My God! 28 MPH is warp speed.

Can you squat whitey in the center of the table at that speed?

Dagwood
03-12-2004, 04:35 PM
I've seen Rodolfo play, and he does have a montster break, but I would have to say that as far as little people having huge breaks, Tommy Kennedy has the biggest little man break of them all. He puts all 95 pounds of TK from FLA into his breaks. Pretty impressive. First time I saw him break, he made 6 out of 9...quite a first impression.

Dags

SRpool
03-12-2004, 05:11 PM
cycopath...if I practice breaking that hard, yes I can control it.

I think there are alot of "smaller" people that can hit the balls hard. Another thing is the weight of the cue. In my opinion if the cue is lighter the better it works. It allows you to swing faster.

miko
03-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Antonio Gabica is another small guy with a huge break. I think he made 5 or 6 balls in a break against yang ching sun during the last asian 9-ball. He's whips his wrist on the last stroke

charlieb
03-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Santos Sambajon is another small Filipino who generates a ton of power. I think that it is a combination of many things that just come together in an athletic way that many of us just don't understand or fully appreciate. It is an amazing thing to watch.

Ralph S.
03-13-2004, 01:08 AM
I sure would like to that exhibition for myself. Not that I doubt what you say ####. I just figure there could be something there to learn.

Chris Cass
03-13-2004, 07:04 AM
Hi Barbara,

Sad but I lost my break. Yes though to the loose wrist and ever so light grip hand. Timing is the key and the secret is to not apply english. If the cb spins in any direction? You've lost power. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for thinking of me,

C.C.

Chris Cass
03-13-2004, 07:06 AM
Hi cycopath,

Jonny Kucharo was at 31 and Jamie Baracks at 33 mph.

28 is awesome for anyone,

C.C.

cycopath
03-13-2004, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr>I would have to say that as far as little people having huge breaks, Tommy Kennedy has the biggest little man break of them all. He puts all 95 pounds of TK from FLA into his breaks. Pretty impressive. First time I saw him break, he made 6 out of 9...quite a first impression.
<hr /></blockquote>I got to see TK first hand last weekend at the Andy Grubbs Memorial Emerald Coast Open tournament in Ft Walton Beach. It was pretty amazing to see that small guy bust em up like he shooting at the rack with a cannon.

He was shooting pretty jam up as well.

cycopath
03-13-2004, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> 28 is awesome for anyone,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>
Yeah CC, I realized that back when Scott Lee came down.

When he radared my break I expected at least 20 MPH, but couldn't break 14 MPH. It may be a bit faster now, but probably not by much.

Chris Cass
03-13-2004, 03:02 PM
<hr /></blockquote>I got to see TK first hand last weekend at the Andy Grubbs Memorial Emerald Coast Open tournament in Ft Walton Beach. It was pretty amazing to see that small guy bust em up like he shooting at the rack with a cannon.
He was shooting pretty jam up as well. <hr /></blockquote>

I miss Andy terribly. He was my friend and I hope he's somewhere nice.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif,

C.C.

Chris Cass
03-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi cycopath,

There's a few things that can help you. The shortest distance between the cb and the rack is, one. Shoot with the cb on the headstring. Another, is extend your bridge length. The best advice is to get an accustat tape of Archer and a vcr with slo-mo. I think I watched his break frame by frame atleast 100 times. I wore out the tape no kidding.

Regards,

C.C.~~look for the movements, when to start to rise, the follow-thru, checkout every movement and copy it to a T. Then, video yourself breaking and match the two togather. It takes about 4 mths atleast.

MikeM
03-13-2004, 05:59 PM
If you get the chance to watch Sarah in person, do so. It is absolutely amazing seeing the power she generates on her breaks.

MM