PDA

View Full Version : tip recomendation for beginner?

Geoff
03-12-2004, 02:29 PM
My fiance just got a VM-34 off ebay, but has no tip on it. what would you guys recomend for someone just starting out, plays about 2 times a week, 3 hours at a time. And about how much should it cost? Also, we got a J&J j/b in the deal, also with no tip. Since it didnt cost me much, Im gonna have a tip put on it and see how I like it. Any suggestions here? (yes I know its not exactly the greatest j/b out there)

stickman
03-12-2004, 02:50 PM
The most widely used tip would probably be a LePro. The average professional tip install for this tip would probably be $10.00. I wouldn't advise a more costly install until I liked the cue. Hope this helps. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

Geoff
03-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Thanks. Thats what I was thinking of going with, though my local shop seems a bit overpriced, they want $25 for the job. Is the Le Pro considered a hard/med/soft tip??

recoveryjones
03-12-2004, 03:13 PM
If I was you I'd go with a meduim tip for the first one. You can always go harder or softer from there on.Another option is taking some hits with a few friends cues in your local pool hall.Ask them if they are using soft, med or hard and see which tip feels best for you.

Tips hardness is very personal and you basically just have to experiment and find something you like. Best of luck.RJ

stickman
03-12-2004, 03:22 PM
LePro tips = Medium Hard 78.2. At about $1.65 for a pkg. of three (less if you buy a box of 50), $25.00 seems somewhat high to me as well. I wish I could charge that much, and not feel like a bandit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

buddha162
03-12-2004, 07:40 PM
$25 for a lepro?

Please find another tip-man. I get a Moori for $25 including installation.

Roger

Chris Cass
03-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Hi,

Go with a LePro tip. There standard in the industry and have been for yrs. Average cost of instalation is $5. that includes the cost of the tip. Find a pool hall that does there own or has a cueman that does it for them.

Later after you learn a bit you might concider another tip but you really should learn first with the LePro. I would sell the jump cue, if I were you. You have to learn the rails first and how to kick a ball. Some will argue but it's no contest. You'll lose valuable experience. imho

Regards,

C.C.

Sid_Vicious
03-13-2004, 08:12 AM
LePro gets my vote also, funny that we all agree on the LePro. The LePro is what McDermott puts on their production cues, and these tips play in the medium range. Like you I've learned that a storefront billiard store charges way too much for a tip job. Ask question at the PH and you'll find someone recommended for a better deal, just make sure you do get good recommendations though. Some idiots think they can install a tip and then you find a terrible job of it. It's not that hard to do your own, but it takes a small bit of gear and patience.

As far as the break cue, I'd put a brown water buffalo on that cue and cut it down at least half way. The brown WB is a really hard tip...sid

woody_968
03-13-2004, 09:03 AM
I also would say start with Lepro, my next choice would be triangle. I like triangle better but it may be a bit hard for a beginner.

I charge 10 dollars to install Lepro tips, so yes I would say 25 is a tad high /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Geoff
03-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Just a follow up, I found a very reputable dealer that is putting new LePros on 2 shafts for $20 out the door...much more reasonable I think. Incidentally, he claims the J&J breaks and jumps just as well as many more expensive cues, which is opposite of everything else I had heard about these cues. He also said they come standard with a LePro tip, so that is what is going on it and I'll see how I like it for breaking. Would a tip such as the bungee make it easier to break or jump? What is to be gained by trimming down the height of the tip? For now Im not to concerned about jumping, there are many other aspects of my game that need work first, but it is something that I would like to learn to do properly.

stickman
03-18-2004, 05:32 PM
$20 for two sounds about right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Trimming down a tip will usually produce a firmer hit. The LePro should be a good playing tip, but I would suggest a harder tip for a breaking or jumping tip. The best jumping tips are a phenolic or linen reinforced, IMO. The same tips will provide a great break, but can a little difficult to control the cueball with. A nickle or quarter radius can help. Another option would be a hard water buffalo tip with a little more control. JMOH

Jim

Troy
03-18-2004, 09:04 PM
I'll do 2 Le Pro tips for $20 all day long. That's my new price as of 1/1/2004. Beware that Le Pro's are notorious for being inconsistent in hardness from tip to tip.

Troy

Geoff
03-19-2004, 11:45 AM
yes, I have noticed this already in the 2 viking shafts I have for my cue, both LePro, but hit pretty different. Anyways, I pick the shafts up today, the fiance is excited to finally have a "real" cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Remember which of the two tips on those two shafts play the best, and when it's time to cut it off for replacement, save the old tip. You can sand down the glue side and inspect the leather webbing pattern, and then sort through a box of new tips for a replica. Sand it to a fine finish and the pattern will come through, the tighter web the harder the hit. You get a close hit to your old tip back that way...sid

ajrack
03-26-2004, 03:13 AM
The only reason that the LePro has been the standard for many years is that it was about the only tip available for many years that was a hard tip!!! compared to Elks / blue diamonds etc.. Le Pros have been consistantly BAD...they have no consistant hardness, they fall apart when shaping..

The best tip before the Le Pro...for years,was a Champion which almost every cue maker used until they quit making a good quality tip...heard many reasons why ...
Now I recommend almost every tip except the Le Pro...

Triumphs/ Triangle / water buffalo .....
I think a softer tip like an Elk master might be the best for a begining player...if you are a more consistant player try a Triumph...then up to a Water buffalo > Triangle

Predator314
03-26-2004, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Geoff:</font><hr> Incidentally, he claims the J&amp;J breaks and jumps just as well as many more expensive cues, which is opposite of everything else I had heard about these cues. He also said they come standard with a LePro tip, so that is what is going on it and I'll see how I like it for breaking. <hr /></blockquote>

I really like the J&amp;J Jump/Break cues. I like the way they break better than the Predator BK (and I'm a Predator BK owner). They are easy to jump as well. The ones I have used are easier to jump than my Lucasi Jumper.

However, I haven't seen any that come with a LePro tip. All the J&amp;J Jump/Breaks I've seen have the Phenolic tips.