PDA

View Full Version : visit with an ESPN producer

ceebee
03-12-2004, 02:31 PM
I spoke with a gentleman yesterday that is an ESPN Producer. I explained my concerns & disappointments about the programming for Pool & Billiards. He listened to what I had to say about re-runs & the lack of the male side of Professional Pool. He concurred with my concerns (he is a Pool Player too) & said he would pass the information on.

He & I agreed that the concessionaires (Frito-Lay, Budweiser, Coca~Cola & the others) could provide a wide based sponsorship of good POOL & BILLIARD programming. The equipment makers & a National or International Pool Room Association (add in the Taverns that host League play or Tournaments) could also become viable sponsors too.

He & I discussed a RING GAME Format that would be full of great Pool & anxious moments. Playing a 7 handed, $500 a man Ring Game would not be for weak of heart. He agreed with me that people canít really feel a $380,000 all-in bet, on the Poker Show, but everyone could feel a $500 tough Cut 9-Ball, that is a $3500 swing & a $500 LOSS, if missed. The games (obviously edited) would be complete with the Yow-Yowing, the booze, the cigarettes, the low lights & the antics.

Anybody like my idea?

Popcorn
03-12-2004, 02:41 PM
You never know, sometimes it just takes the right ear to get things going.

ras314
03-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Sounds good to me. Knowledgeable and interesting commentators would be a necessity.

Ralph S.
03-13-2004, 12:47 AM
You were fortunate to meet him, and I am sure you spoke for all of us. You did tell him about the hardcore faithful here at CCB didnt ya? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
03-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Way to go Charlie.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ceebee
03-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Mr. Bruner & I spoke for several hours. He too is a Pool Player & understands that audiences will view what they are interested in. PERIOD. But, the folks running TV LAND are interested in making money & they don't care whats aired on the channels as long as they get paid.

Individuals have never been listened to. But if an individual represents a large group, they have power. We (the interested Pool Players among us) have to organize. If we could first establish a database of Pool Halls in the U.S.A. & get the proprietors to become members, we then have a voice of many. The BCA, APA, UPA, PPA would all become members too. Then the equipment makers would join.

At that point, all the concessionaires would have to cough up some sponsorship money or be boycotted. They have money for everyone else, they have some extra money for us too... we just ain't askin' for it in the correct manner.

The World Championships aren't even broadcasted in America... that's a crop of crap. If every Pool Room coughed up $25, each concessionaire coughed up $1000 & the equipment makers coughed up $100... that would be a nice box of dough to use as TV sponsors & Tournament prize money.

The Pool Room Owners Association of America would become a very large association & a profitable one too. The PROAA would have a voice, that would be listened to.

#### leonard
03-15-2004, 07:03 AM
I said this 40 years ago, form an association and copy the pro-golfers, they are doing it right. I also said "Pools
for Fools" when not one player wanted to give it a try. 40 years later people are still trying to break through the minds of poolplayers.####

ceebee
03-15-2004, 10:34 AM
you must be right, not one person wanted to jump on the bandwagon. If everyone on the CCB sent me a list of their local Pool Halls, we'd already have a database started.

I don't know what it's like in other areas, but when we have tournaments (Tulsa area), there isn't room for players "on the bench" or spectators. So, there's obviously a great deal of interest in this game of ours. Not having a voice is like being herded wherever...!

I was kind of excited after speaking with someone at ESPN, maybe most of the players aren't TV watchers...