PDA

View Full Version : instroke tips

cornercue
03-12-2004, 05:36 PM
can some tell me where i can buy instroke tips.i'd like to try them.

Popcorn
03-12-2004, 06:04 PM
I am going out on a limb here and guess, from instroke?
http://www.instroke.com/

JohnBarton
03-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Instroke has stopped making layered tips. There is too much good competition for a small segment of the market. The nearest thing can be had from Bludworth Cues.

John Barton

Harold Acosta
03-12-2004, 10:36 PM
John; those Instrokes were good tips. I still have one left from 3 you gave me in 2000 Valley Forge. I have one installed in my Mizerak (Bar-Table-Only) cue. It has not been replaced in almost 4 years because there has been no need to do so. I guess I will keep the one I have left, put it in a plastic bag, label it, for my future Billiards Hall of Fame Building.

Harold ~ has always thought about a BHF in Puerto Rico...
<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

JohnBarton
03-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Yeah, they are as good as Mooris in my opinion. And actually we had another tip called the Killer Tip which was as close to a non-mushrooming tip as I have ever seen. The only problem is that it costs about the same as a Moori.

I figured out that there are about 20 different layered tips competing for less than 5% of the market. This was gleaned by asking cue repairmen what they put on most of.

The most requested tips are still Triangles and LePros at about $10 installed. When a layered tip is requested there are about 20 different ones to choose from. Too crowded for me. Although I believe the Instroke tips have a performance advantage the reality is that the others have a price advantage and that is what matters to most of the people doing the buying in bulk.

The other thing that I reallized during the tip time is that all tips will reach a maximum compression wherin the hardness is roughly equal. The biggest advantage to the layered tip in my opinion is the even and thus slower wear factor.

But like I said, the tips are still available from Bludworth and the Kiler Tips are available in limited supply from Jerry Olivier Cues.

John

Harold Acosta
03-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Are the Killer tips the black or dark gray ones? Domed tips? Or was that dark tip for the bunjee jump?

I don't know if you remember Ed Trujillo and me from the 1999 US Open and 2000 Valley Forge. We purchased some boxes of your tips and sold them in PR before the Moori's were known here, which we also brought along. Then the fad was Talismans; and back to Moori's. The market here is slow for layered tips but I always have some small stock for the 9 Ball Players. Eight ball players in PR prefer the Triangle, Elk Masters and Le Pro's. They don't want to know about any other tip, except the brown water buffalo for break cues (not the black or the red).

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

buddha162
03-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Hi John,

How hard are the killer tips compared to the new Moori Quicks?

And can I get them from Olivier at retail amounts?

Thanks,
Roger

JohnBarton
03-13-2004, 08:35 AM
I don't know how the Killers and the new Mooris compare.

The best guy to contact would be Jerry at www.jocues.com (http://www.jocues.com)

John

JohnBarton
03-13-2004, 08:41 AM
Yes, Harold, I remeber you and Ed very well. You two have been very good customers and supporters. Talisman does produce a great product and we had the misfortune :-) of coming out around the same time and they chose to do the same type of viral markting that we did, i.e. give away tons of tips. They have a better price structure and so were able to afford to outmarket the Instroke tips.

Their product is world class though and I have heard from many cue people that they are very happy with Talisman's performance.

Like I said though, in my opinion it's too many brands for a small segment of the market. When the price drops to near LePro levels and the quality of tip remains the same or better then and only then will layered tips explode.

Take care and I hope to see you around sometime.

John