PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Building Explosion

Doctor_D
04-25-2002, 10:20 AM
Good afternoon:

I am getting too damn old for this much excitement. Apex Technical School, 19th Street & 6th Avenue, collapsed after an internal explosion. once again, I was too damn close for comfort. I was at my client two blocks away !!!

Freash from CBS News !!!

(CBS) Part of a building collapsed Thursday morning following a possible explosion in a building on Manhattan's West Side.

At least 50 people were treated for injuries. Three are believed to be in serious condition.

There was no immediate word of any fatalities. Windows along the block were blown out by the force of the blast.

Fire Department spokeswoman Amanda Schmidt said it appeared some type of explosion was the cause of the collapse on West 19th Street, between Sixth and Seventh avenues in the Chelsea section of Manhattan.

WCBS-TV in New York reports plumbers were working in the building all week and the blast appears to have occurred in a boiler in the building's basement.

Law enforcement officials said it did not appear to be an act of terrorism.

"It was just a really loud noise," said Stuart Markowitz, who runs the education department at the nearby Apex Technical School. "Some of our windows did get blown out."

All students in the school were safely evacuated, he said.

WCBS Radio's Irene Cornell says that contrary to initial reports the explosion occurred in the building adjacent to the school, not in the school itself. The actual building houses a company that makes architectural signs named "Kaltech."

More than 100 firefighters were called to the scene.

"It was a giant boom a real giant boom," said neighborhood resident Bill Beek, who lives a half-block away. "It sounded like an airplane crashing."

MMII, CBS Worldwide Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press and Reuters Limited contributed to this report.

Dr. D.

04-25-2002, 10:25 AM
Was this a planned demolition?

04-25-2002, 10:27 AM
Dr. D, according to the news, they're correcting the report about it being the Apex building. Apparently it was next door.

Not like it makes much difference; the sad fact is that a building has collapsed, and there are many injuries.

- Steve

Doctor_D
04-25-2002, 10:29 AM
Good afternoon:

News reports a limited as far as information is concerned however, according to ABC news, 6 people are in critical condition. Manhattan does not need this !!!

Dr. D.

04-25-2002, 10:49 AM
I'm think that building was burning as of yesterday. I remember seeing smoke around 6:00. When it rains, it pours!

Eric

Troy
04-25-2002, 10:59 AM
Two rhetorical questions Dr D... First, at what age are you NOT too old ??? And second, if Manhattan doesn't need this, which of our cities DOES ???

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good afternoon:

I am getting too damn old for this much excitement. Apex Technical School, 19th Street &amp; 6th Avenue, collapsed after an internal explosion. once again, I was too damn close for comfort. I was at my client two blocks away !!!

(and)

Manhattan does not need this !!!

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

Doctor_D
04-25-2002, 11:03 AM
Good afternoon:

Any age is too damn old for this kind of excitement. Additionally, there are NO cities in the world which should have to deal with this or any other disaster - natural or otherwise.

Dr. D.

Troy
04-25-2002, 12:16 PM
Agree 100% !!!!!
That's why they were rhetorical questions.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good afternoon:

Any age is too damn old for this kind of excitement. Additionally, there are NO cities in the world which should have to deal with this or any other disaster - natural or otherwise.

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

Ralph S.
04-26-2002, 12:50 AM
The citizens of our country and especially those of NYC have suffered way too much lately. From what I have heard on the news it is most likely going to be ruled accidental, but that still does not help with the suffering of victims and grieving family members of those victims. My prayers and sympathy to those affected in the building explosion.
Ralph S.