PDA

View Full Version : Who was the first person????

cueball1950
03-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Who was the 1st person that you met from the CCB and where did it happen? Mine is DR D and we met at Castle billiards in New jersey. I had driven to castle from albany to meet carol NYC and a couple of others and the 1st one i had the pleasure of meeting was Dr D. It was a real pleasure meeting all the ladies that day. It sure was an early indication of the people i have met on here and that has been most pleasurable /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif......................mike

eg8r
03-12-2004, 10:43 PM
I think the first people I met from the CCB were rackmup and onepocketchamp. We had a great time and played quite a bit together during the year I lived in Texas. I met a bunch of the Texas ccb'ers while out there.

Just recently I had the chance to play a little pool with Kato. I had a great time then also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Ken
03-12-2004, 10:55 PM
I first met CarolNYC at Champions in Laurel. I had to slap her to wake her up (she asked for it). Also there were Gayle in MD and Dr. D.

In Athens Ga I met heater451, Lorrie and Dr.D (she gets around). Whatever happended to Lorrie? She was amazing. Don't ever get near her when she breaks. That leg lift she has would take down a brick wall. I got great pictures of it.

Seen Carol a few times since and that always makes my day. Stick with her and you'll meet everyone else. Was lucky to meet Spetty at VF thanks to Carol.

Can't forget Smorgass Bored. He was an early one but I think Carol was first.
KenCT

Kato
03-12-2004, 11:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr>Whatever happended to Lorrie? She was amazing. Don't ever get near her when she breaks. That leg lift she has would take down a brick wall. I got great pictures of it.
<hr /></blockquote>

Lorri is alive and well. I just got a Valentines Day card from her (a little late but it's in good fun). She is extremely happy in her non-pool playing time. She's basically "retired" from the game and is living like a normal person (sort of). Anyway, we e-mail each other a few times a week and I'll drop a phone call on her now and then.

Kato

Kato
03-12-2004, 11:39 PM
I guess the first person I met off the CCB was Phil in SoFla but that didn't count, I knew him before I started posting. I guess the first person I've hooked up with is Voodoo. Went on a couple of short road trips to meet Rackemup, Eg8r, Keith Talent, &amp; Scott Lee. Of course I met Barbara, Fran, &amp; Carol at the WPBA tourny in Miami. Everyone at the US Open as well. Heck, I'd suppose I've met and played with 50 of you by now.

Kato

Tom_In_Cincy
03-13-2004, 12:21 AM
The 1st out of town CCB member I met was Fred Agnir at the 2000 Derby City Classic.

Since then..... 3 US Opens and 2 more DCCs have had provided quite a bit of happy times playing and chatting with my new friends.

One of my favorite CCB stories was when a friend of mine (non-CCB) went to the BCA trade show a couple of years ago and stopped on the way back in Arizona. He went into a local pool room and the counter guy requested his Drivers lic. to check out a table. A regular heard the counter guy say... "your from Cincinnati, Huh?" and the regular asked this guy.. if he knew Tom in Cincinnati.. and my friend, amazed... said YES.. and the regular was amazed also.. Rod may remember... My non-CCBer friend had a lot of laughs telling me this story..

Ralph S.
03-13-2004, 01:42 AM
My first meeting with a CCB'er was Scott Lee. I am very glad we hooked up for some pool. His instruction has been top-notch and very helpful. I also me Tom-in Cincy very shortly after that. He is a great guy and also knowledgeable.

CarolNYC
03-13-2004, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had driven to castle from albany to meet carol NYC and a couple of others <hr /></blockquote>
And that was so nice of you MIke! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Besides you,Mike, I think the first ones I met was Rich R. and Cathy in MD-then Gayle and her husband Jim-Ken CT-then in Vegas, CC,Heide and Christ,Spetty,Rip,Spiderman and Fred-Eric in Jersey-Voodoo,Kato in Florida!
Wow, the list could go on!
Stay well!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Correction-I think the FIRST was Howie Pearl and Naz in Brooklyn!

SPetty
03-13-2004, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> then in Vegas...SPetty...<hr /></blockquote>CarolNYC was the first CCBer that I met that I didn't know before, but we met in Valley Forge months before Vegas. Guess I'm just not that memorable... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That was the same Valley Forge that I didn't meet TomBrooklyn, but, thanks to Carol, I met Barbara, Doctor D., Lorri, Rich R. &amp; Kathy, Ken (formerly KenCT), Gremlin and was introduced to Tom Rossman by a friend of his I met while waiting in line to pick up my tickets. I sat near Fred Agnir during the men's finals, but we didn't actually meet until Vegas.

I also met Janet Shimel of Cuetec cues, who confirmed our deduction of who Chris in NC was across the arena. So I ambushed Chris in NC (who didn't seem all too happy about it) to meet him and say hi. The bartender also became a good friend of mine.

Julie Kelly sat next to me during the finals when Karen Corr was playing, and looked at me real funny when I asked her who she was rooting for. hahaha

I'm always afraid to mention names for fear of leaving someone out. I know how it feels to be left out.

Barbara
03-13-2004, 09:04 AM
Yeah, okay, and WHERE WAS I????

Barbara~~~wondering why I haven't met Mike yet...

But what do i know?... I'm just some broad...

PQQLK9
03-13-2004, 09:04 AM
Scott Lee , because I mentioned on line that I needed help, and he was passing through. Hoping to meet more of you at VF.

Barbara
03-13-2004, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
I'm always afraid to mention names for fear of leaving someone out. I know how it feels to be left out.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah yeah yeah...

Let's see... I think I met Chris in NC first and then Fred A, and then SPetty and Rich R and TB and Scott Lee... It's hard to remember.

But hooking up with all the CCBers in Vegas in 2002 was THE BEST!! I'll never, ever forget my last match. I was concentrating so much because it was in a "corner" and didn't want to be distracted, that when I won a game, this eruption of applause happened and I thought it was for some neighboring table, but no, it was Marty and SPetty, and Carol, and CC and Fran and Rip and everyone else watching me!! That was a first!!

But I DO remember pming Kato a long time ago when he was on a mission for something for Voodoo Daddy...

Barbara

But what do I know?... I'm just some broad...

Wally_in_Cincy
03-13-2004, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> That was the same Valley Forge that I didn't meet TomBrooklyn,...<hr /></blockquote>

And don't forget, you didn't meet me on your trip to Cincy due to some vague info on my part and the fact that Michael's pool hall had moved, unbeknownst to me.

But you did get to enjoy that wonderful Cincy "chili" LOL

dg-in-centralpa
03-13-2004, 01:31 PM
The only CCB'er I ever met was Barbara last year at Valley Forge. I had just started posting and was not known to most people. Not that I am anyway.

DG - I have a photograhic memory but usually forget to load the film

SPetty
03-13-2004, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>I didn't meet TomBrooklyn,...<hr /></blockquote>And don't forget, you didn't meet me...<hr /></blockquote>Oh my, how could I forget not meeting you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah, the joke was on me in Cincinnati! You missed the chance to be my first by sending me on a wild goose chase to an empty pool room. That sure was weird!

Is it called "Skyline Chili"? It's something they say not to miss when you visit Cincinnati but I wish I had! Let's just say it wasn't my favorite. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif They call it "chili", but it's not like any chili this born and raised Texan has ever tasted. And then they put it over spaghetti!

Keith Talent
03-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Just after I started lurking, or maybe posting, I'm not sure which ... and I'd also just been playing again for a month or so, I ended up hitting a few with Holly. Total accident, I was just having a couple of beers after shooting some at Amsterdam and she asked me to join her. Enjoyable game ... and I was relieved that I somehow held my own, approximately. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later on, I ran into 9 Ball Girl and Eric. at Queens tourney, then recently hit some with the one and only Kato. Look forward to more sessions, accidental or not.

eg8r
03-13-2004, 10:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Spetty's quote of Carol:</font><hr>then in Vegas...SPetty...<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Spetty:</font><hr> CarolNYC was the first CCBer that I met that I didn't know before, but we met in Valley Forge months before Vegas. Guess I'm just not that memorable... <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> Susan, it sounds like your are getting a little sensitive. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~does not believe Spetty is not-that-memorable

Kato
03-14-2004, 01:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>But I DO remember pming Kato a long time ago when he was on a mission for something for Voodoo Daddy...

Barbara<hr /></blockquote>

Was it his Christmas present? If it was, another CCB'er came to my aid. What a terrific present that was. I really enjoyed giving it.

Kato~~~old age failing memory /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

CarolNYC
03-14-2004, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
we met in Valley Forge months before Vegas. Guess I'm just not that memorable...
<hr /></blockquote>
Oh Spetty,
Im sorry-of course you are memorable-your one of my favorite peoples-thanks to you, I met many,also!:)
But when we were all together in Vegas, was one of my BEST memories!
My place and time may be a little off, but the person, I ALWAYS remember!
Hope to see you soon!
Carol

CarolNYC
03-14-2004, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, okay, and WHERE WAS I????

<hr /></blockquote>

Lets see, if in VF-you were doing what you do the best and running a 1000 player field tournament and if in Vegas, you were racing in the pool with Danny in his speedo!LMAO
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
03-14-2004, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
had to slap her to wake her up <hr /></blockquote>
Yep, Ken,
I dont think I missed any 9-balls after that one!
Thanks!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rich R.
03-14-2004, 09:23 AM
We had one big meeting, the evening before a pool tournament in Laurel, Md.
At one time, Cathy and I met Dr. D and Gayle. Carol arrived a little later. The next day, I met Ken from Ct.
IIRC, I also first met MikeM that weekend. It was a real CCB gathering.
Hope I didn't leave anyone out.

Actually, I had seen Carol, prior to this meeting, at another tournament in Laurel, but at the time, I had no idea who she was. Nor did I know what the "CCB" was. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara
03-14-2004, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> ...and if in Vegas, you were racing in the pool with Danny in his speedo!LMAO
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Danny "Speedo Boy" Barouty!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Yeah, and Mika and Ellie and Caroline cheering me on along the side!!

Barbara

Barbara
03-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Yep Kato, it was for that Grissim book you were trying to get Voodoo for Christmas.

Barbara

Kato
03-14-2004, 07:15 PM
I found a pretty darn good copy from another CCB'er (can't remember if I promised to keep the name quiet so I will just in case /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif) and got to read it before I gave it to him. Great book.

Kato

CarolNYC
03-15-2004, 04:01 AM
Yep!
We cant forget Mike M! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I also met heater451 in Georgia,SteveinNY in NY and Vagabond in Mississippi!
Carol
When HoustonDan came to NY,took him to see a play!

9 Ball Girl
03-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Hmmm. My first CCBers were Kato, VoodooDaddy, and Lorri. They came to pick me up from the airport in Norfolk for the US Open of 2002. I was sitting outside talking to nAz on my cellphone when a jeep pulled up a few feet away from me, my other line bleeped, I told nAz to hold, picked up the other line, and it was Kato who happened to be getting out of the jeep at the same time! I jumped in the car and Voodoo was driving and Lorri sat in the back.

Shortly after, I met TominCincy when I walked into the convention center, then back at the Holiday Inn before the big CCB Dinner, I met Holly, Rich and Cathy, Cueball1950, Mike, WesK, etc.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-15-2004, 10:51 AM
The first person that I met that I didn't already know was Fran Crimi at VF 2000. She could not have been nicer. She treated me like an old friend and I will always appreciate that.

In case anybody wonders why I always defend Fran against internet rumor-mongers and trolls this is why.

And I would wager that Kato and Voodoo feel the same way.

Rod
03-15-2004, 01:09 PM
Fran is also the first person I met, from out of town. We played pool for about two hours the night before she left for Prescott, about 1999. The women's tour use to stop there. I sent her on a site seeing trip up to Sedona during her stay in Prescott. Maybe I made it seem like a hop, skip and a jump! LOL It took her a lot longer than planned but it worked out fine.

She was/is a very nice lady and was genuinely interested in our conversation and playing pool. I'm with you Wally on your last comment.

Then I met Marty, AKA Spiderman. We played pool several times since his stay was several days. That guy sure is tall. LOL A real gentelman if I've ever met one plus he plays a pretty sporty game of pool.

The last person I met was Scott Lee. Well what can I say, many of you have met him. Ok I'll keep it clean. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Scott ranks right up there, with people that have a passion for the game. We played a couple of times and it was my pleasure, not only with Scott but with Fran and Marty.

Maybe one day I'll get to meet some of the other nice people that frenquent CCB. Yea, that includes you too Wally. ha ha ha

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
03-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Rod,

Dick Gahm was asking about you yesterday. He's making break cues now. The brand name is "The Cannon". I saw an ad in BD a couple months ago for them and it had a Hamiltucky address. I was baffled until I saw him at DCC walking around trying to hawk them. He's too cheap to rent a booth /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kato
03-15-2004, 05:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> In case anybody wonders why I always defend Fran against internet rumor-mongers and trolls this is why.

And I would wager that Kato and Voodoo feel the same way.
<hr /></blockquote>

When I met Fran she was extremely personable and kind to me. I liked her instantly. She hasn't deserved the scrutiny she's gotten.

Kato

Mr Ingrate
03-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Mike,

The first two CCBr's I met were Scott Lee and Fran Crimi, many years ago at the BCA 8-Ball Championships in Las Vegas.

I met Barbara at the Vegas event the next year and the year after that we attended referees school together. Not my cup of tea. Its a dirty job that someone has to do, luckily I'm old enough (if not smart enough) to realize it shouldn't be me.

Last In Vegas year I hooked up with SPetty, RIP, Eric, Fred Agnir and one or two others who have slipped my mind (I'm old). Please jump in and remind me who else went for dinner at the Steak House at Circus/Circus. I met Carol that night although she didn't join us for dinner.

And then there was the hurricane at the US Open. There was some question of my mental state since I deliberately rescheduled my flight to arrive a couple of hours before the hurricane. I met Rich R. and his lovely wife, the Cass Family (Chris, Heide, ans Spike), Kato, Tom in Cincy, Cueball 1950, Mike M, Jimmy B., Phil in Sofla, 9 Ball Girl, Socrates, Pool Daddy9, Fred Agnir, WesK, JMD in VA, Anonumus Ed, Brian in VA, Jimmy B. and others.

Interestingly enough, I seem to be the invisible man in this thread since no one has mentioned meeting me. It is probably my svelte figure and the fact that I stand sideways a lot that makes me unnoticeable or unmemorable.

It was great meeting everyone and hope to do so again.

SPetty
03-15-2004, 06:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr Ingrate:</font><hr> It is probably my svelte figure and the fact that I stand sideways a lot that makes me unnoticeable or unmemorable. <hr /></blockquote>hahaha - you and me both! The thread topic is who was the &gt;<font color="blue">first</font color>&lt;, not who &gt;<font color="blue">ever</font color>&lt;.

Now if there was a category for first Canadian CCBer, I bet you'd be right up there! At least you'd be right up there on my list! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara
03-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Dammit!! YOU were the first CCBer I met!! At Vegas!! I looked your table number up went there about 20 minutes before your match and met you and your wonderful wife!!

Okay Dave, you were my first! 1998!!

And I brought you some pecans, IIRC.

Barbara

But what so I know?... I'm just some broad...

Rod
03-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Well say hi to Dick when you see him. Heck he was trying to peddle cues in the pool room out here too! The ones he had would give me a hernia trying to swing it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Chris Cass
03-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi Mike,

The very first person we met in Vegas 2002 was cuechick. The only person that helped me out the most with meeting everyone was SPetty. She had everything down to a science. I personally had the best time I've ever had. Even though, I didn't finish nowhere near what I had planned. The event was nothing compared to the joy I got, from meeting everyone. That left a memory I'll always cherrish. Except for the beer/carpet thing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Fred Agnir
03-16-2004, 05:14 AM
I've met so many internet forum players, I have a failing memory as to whom I met first from the CCBoard (that I didn't already know of from rec.sport.billiard). I'm guessing it was Fran Crimi up in Rochester at the Huther-Doyle WPBA tournament. Aside from being there on business, I was visiting with CCBer/RSBer Paul Mon. And Gerda won that event.

Or it was someone at Valley Forge, but I can't remember the first year I went. I suck. Allison repeated that year, so it was '98. But I don't know if I got on the CCBoard at that point. I'm thinking '99 would have been the first year I would have met anyone from the CCBoard. Oh, I don't know.

Fred

Rich R.
03-16-2004, 05:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> The thread topic is who was the &gt;<font color="blue">first</font color>&lt;, not who &gt;<font color="blue">ever</font color>&lt;.

Now if there was a category for first Canadian CCBer, I bet you'd be right up there! At least you'd be right up there on my list! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>
SPetty is right Dave, the thread was for the "first" CCB'er we met. Unlike SPetty, I can't even say you were ther first Canadian CCB'er I met. At the 2002 U.S. Open, many of us met Thierry Layani, the cue maker.

Now if they start a list of the nicest CCB'ers we have met, you and Joanne will be at the top of that list, tied with a lot more people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, Thierry hasn't posted for a long time, that I have noticed. Is there anyone in Canada that knows how he is doing. I hope he is well and busy making a lot of cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
03-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Mike,

If I didn't leave a breadcrumb trail, I wouldn't remember where I lived, let alone which CCB'er I met first /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I met a bunch at Valley Forge, Vegas and the US Open over the past few years. That seems to be where the flock like to congregate.

Eric

#### leonard
03-17-2004, 07:47 AM
Wally Fran and Stretch were my first two CCbers, we had an afternoon of pool. We met at a motel in Latham NY. We arrived at the same time, except they didn't believe it was me. They thought I should look much older.
I am also a Fran Fan.####

rukiddingme
03-17-2004, 09:43 AM
The first people I met from the CCB were Karatemom Chris Cass and Spike.
I was visiting my in-laws in the Quad Cities who lived a couple of blocks from Leisure Time billiards. Whenever in the QC I try to escape to this pool hall and practice. I had just taken a lesson from Scott and was looking to practice some of the drills that he had shown me. At the next table is this woman doing drills as well. We are both doing the same drills. I think C.C. thought we were competing against each other...lol.
So we get to talking and discover that we all post on the CCB and that Scott had given Heide a lesson the day before I got mine and once we divulged our posting nicknames it was like we had known each other for years.
ruk

Sid_Vicious
03-17-2004, 09:57 AM
I met Fran first, way back when the WPBA tour stop came through Dallas. I was her taxi to and from the airport and it was my fortunate pleasure for sharing many hours of pool with her for a day-going-on-two. Fran made heads turn when we went to my regular hang-out, a very nice memory indeed. Everyone should hope to get to know Fran in person before they are done running the gambit of this sport(IMHO)...sid

Gayle in MD
03-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Hold it there, I mentioned you in the other "Who was the First" thread. Why are there two of these anyway. I met you at Bill and Billy's, in Arnold. Boo Hoo, guess I'm not memorable, LOL.

Love,
Gayle in MD

Gayle in MD
03-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi Rich,
Was that night our first meeting? I thought the first time I met you and Kathy was at my house, when you came for your lesson with Scott Lee?
That was a fun night in Laurel though. I've seen more of you on TV than in person though, LOL.
Love,
Gayle in MD /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
03-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Gayle, our first meeting was the night in Laurel. My lesson with Scott, at your house, came some time later. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
03-21-2004, 08:27 PM
The first and only person I have personally meet is non other than Scott Lee. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I meet him in Joplin Mo. for a lesson. He is a great guy IMO. If he is an indication of the rest of the CCB family, I look forward to the chance to meet many more of them.

Jim