PDA

View Full Version : saw something totally amazing at the pool hall

pokesteve
03-13-2004, 03:14 AM
my first time going to a real pool hall in san diego, i was totally blown away

there was one dude there running full racks of balls shooting ONE HANDED.

then this other really incredible guy who never missed and always had dead on accuracy, i could of swore he must have been a pro.

never knew there were such talents in san diego

i went to college billiards on el cajon blvd

anybody else share stories of people that totally blew them away?

Predator314
03-13-2004, 06:38 AM
I like the one handed shooters. I've seen a few of these.

It's amazing what you see sometimes in a pool hall. Some of these road players are better than a lot of the pros.

Chris Cass
03-13-2004, 06:39 AM
Hi pokesteve,

Yep, me, my wife and son Spike walk into the pool hall. It can be slammed and often is and after 3 or so minutes I turn to my wife and say, where's Spike. Sure enough he's playing someone. It never fails this kid gets action everytime. He's like 11 yrs old and he's playing with everyone. At the Midwest Expo I ask my wife, Heide wheres Spike? She points and here he is playing Larry Nevel on the exhibition table that Earl was using. HAHAHAHA Later, I asked Spike, why wasn't he playing Larry? He turns to me with the straightest face and says, I don't know Dad. I won a game and Larry quit me. HAHAHAHA I about died laughing.

Regards,

C.C.

1Time
03-13-2004, 08:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr>Some of these road players are better than a lot of the pros. <hr /></blockquote>

I've always heard this and believed it to be true. However, most of the road players I've seen were playing on bar tables, and the only pros I've seen were playing on 9' tables.

One of the most amazing things I've seen in a pool hall was back when "The Color of Money" came out. Some unknown guy came into the local pool hall looking for some 9 ball action. It was like no one would take him on because he was an "unknown". Then walks in Keith McCready... and the guy apparently didn't know who he was! They started at $20 a rack and I think it ended at around $200 a rack. McCready was pretty amazing. I don't think he ever did tell the guy who he was. It was like the whole place knew what was going on except for the guy losing his cash.

Sid_Vicious
03-13-2004, 08:18 AM
"I don't know Dad. I won a game and Larry quit me."

Funny, kids say the darndest things! I can just imagine where Spikes game is going to be in another 5 years. Sounds like a killer already...sid

woody_968
03-13-2004, 08:26 AM
Shannon Daulton came through town before anyone knew who he was, it was something to see him play. But probably one of the strangest was when a road player came in and played with a broom stick. Funny part was when he was hooked on a ball, he went out to his car and came back with one of those little kid play brooms and used it for a jump cue!

I was able to run one rack with a broom stick once (we all tried it after this guy left town) but sure couldnt play consistently with one like he did.

Williebetmore
03-13-2004, 06:00 PM
The most amazing thing I ever saw in a pool hall was last year at a local benefit sponsored by Jeanette Lee. She made her husband George Breedlove do some of his one-handed trick shots (he is an incredible one-handed player, has run 3 straight racks of 9 ball one-handed, never rests his cue on the table, just holds it in the air and fires). He first did some one-handed jump shots, then did some one-handed jump shots with his cue behind his back. He then pocketed some wing shots the length of the table one-handed (ie. the object ball is moving down the table as he shoots at it, and on an extremely tight pocket table). He then did the same wing shots with one hand, cue behind his back and then one hand, cue between his legs. If he had told me he could do this I would never have believed it. Don't play him one-handed for money (unless you don't like money). His break one-handed is unbelieveable (again his cue does not ever touch the table).

haywood
03-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Ok, I have been sitting on this story for a few years and hoping to find a good spot to tell it. I suppose it doesn't get any better than this. So here goes.

About 10 years ago I was working my way through college and took a part-time job at a pool hall. Basically, I looked after the place for free table time and enough money to pay a few bills. Nuthing glamorous, but it was cool at the time. Anyways, there was an older guy named Hal that came in looking for action 3 or 4 times a week. He was a pretty salty shooter, so it was pretty rare to see him ever get a game more than a buck or two. Not to mention any time he ever got down, he would start in griping and complaining about how the world was trying to screw him.

One day, this unknown comes strolling in and the first thing I think of is road player. The guy hadn't been in the place 2 minutes and he and Hal are matching up. I suppose 20 minutes or so had went by and Hal starts his complaining and it gets bad enough that it draws my attention. I look over to where the guys are playing and Hal is down and ready to stroke the 9 in. He rears back and fires and the ball goes bouncing back and forth in the jaws of the pocket. Without hesitation, Hal brings his cue up to his chest with both hands planting it in his sternum, lets out this sort of indian war hoot, and starts running at the wall with the cue pointed right at his chest.

The cue hits the wall and flexes upward like a fishing rod until it finally snapped, sending the old man to the floor. Hal was just laying there on the floor gasping for air with the remains of his cue scattered about him when the unknown comes over and drops 40 bucks on his chest.

Evidently, Hal didn't wait until the ball had completely stopped before he tried impaling himself, the nine dropped giving him the win. The unknown had the biggest smile as he walked by me on his way out saying that was the funnest time he'd ever had losing 40 bucks.

Predator314
03-13-2004, 09:20 PM
I got an up close and personal experience with Tony Watson a few years back in a former local pool hall.

He was trying to get some action, but most of us knew who he was. He was pretty amazing to watch once he decided to shoot his "real" speed.

Ralph S.
03-13-2004, 11:40 PM
This reminds me of a really good story from quite a few years ago. Here in my town we had an old country/western type bar. Live bands on weekends and so on. Way in the back in a separate enclosed area was a pool hall with about eight or nine tables. This place happened to be a frequent stop for one of the best roadies I have ever seen. His name was Weldon Rogers Jr. He was a helluva player and played just as good one-handed as he did two-handed, if not better.

Weldon happened to catch another roadie passing through the area, and they matched up. They started playing nineball sets for $200.00 a set. After a few hours, the roadie was up one set on Jr. Jr. encouraged the guy to double the stakes and he agreed. The roadie told Jr. he was really gonna whoop him now, and Jr. just chuckled. Jr. won the next four sets. He played the entire last set one-handed and won it easily. Of those four sets, the roadies best score was the 9-3 loss he took from Jr. in the one-handed set.

Fred Agnir
03-14-2004, 05:15 AM
Wei Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

Shot A is a Larry Nevel draw shot he was doing with Corey Deuel on a practice table at the 2003 US Open.

Shot B is also Larry, one-handed (after about 10 tries).

START(
%AD7Z6%Pr4Z6%QM2V5%Ri4I3%UL7W4%VC5W7%WF6[0%Xq3Z6%Yq7Y0%ZF7Z8
%[D8X1%\r0Y0%eB5b5%_i3K1%`O4S9%aF0Y6
)END

Fred

Fred Agnir
03-14-2004, 05:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator314:</font><hr> I like the one handed shooters. I've seen a few of these. <hr /></blockquote>

So I'm watching two guys playing for 3 bills a game, 8-ball. One guy was definitely on the stall. The other was playing jacked-up one-handed. It piqued our collective interest, maybe a hundred of us. Someone behind me who couldn't see the action asked me what was going on. I promptly told him of the staller and the other guy playing one-handed.

"I"ll play him one-handed!" he says.

" They're playing for 3 bills," says I.

With an embarrassed look, he slinked away. I saw him playing a while later. "A" speed I'd say. The first thing that struck me was...he only had one hand. Go figure.

Fred

shark
03-14-2004, 09:41 PM
The best one handed shooter I ever saw was back in the '60s. My dad hired him to do an exhibition in his pool hall, his name was Ernest Morgan aka The one armed bandit. He was missing some fingers on his left hand but could shoot as well as anybody Ive seen. Anybody else heard of him ?

bigalerickson
03-15-2004, 10:09 AM
THat is the funniest damn story I've ever heard. THe visualization on that is such a pleasant one I can't stand it. Thanks for that.

Only time Ive ever laughed that hard a pool story was the one about the guy who bet the room he could fit a pool ball in his mouth.... but that can be in poor taste so ill save that for another time.

peace,

alex

Eric.
03-15-2004, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pokesteve:</font><hr> my first time going to a real pool hall in san diego, i was totally blown away

then this other really incredible guy who never missed and always had dead on accuracy, i could of swore he must have been a pro.

anybody else share stories of people that totally blew them away? <hr /></blockquote>

College Billiards and Gas Lamp are owned by the same guy and has been known to have some serious players. Of the known guys, Victor the house guy plays good, Swannee used to play there before his untimely death, as well as a few top players, Shane is in the Mid west... There is always action but it aint easy action.

Eric

SpiderMan
03-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Hmmm ... I wonder, did he require assistance removing it?

SpiderMan

Perk
03-15-2004, 01:04 PM
A few years ago at a pool hall (now closed), there was this older guy that was a regular. He was the type that played in EVERY handicapped tourney and NEVER moved up in rank. He would practise for hours, and never improve. I was playing him in the weekly handicapped tourney. Match starts off pretty good for me. I ran the first 3 racks going to 7 for me. He had to go to 3. I come up dry on a break, and the very first shot this guy gets to take is a 1 - 9 combo DEAD in the pocket. Absolutely no chance to miss. This guy miscues and misses. Funny in itself, but this guy slams his shaft on the table and it almost breaks apart. Remember "Revenge of the Nerds"? When that very small guy creates that Javelin that bounces? Thats what this guys cue looked like. It was bouncing all over the place. He continued to play the rest of the set with this cue. Was way too funny. This was one instance of his antics. Similiar to a "Munson" in the movie Kingpin, we now have our own term that is used when something like this happens in the poolhall. I cant say, just to protect the innocent or guilty in this case. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlindPlayer
04-04-2005, 02:21 PM
I was playing in an 8-ball tourny years and years ago before I switched to 9-ball. This strange young man came in at the last minute to sign up and made a verbal show and spectical of himself by picking out the house cue that nobody ever used because the ferrel was cracked and the wood was split with a chunk missing near the ferrel. He said he'd rather play with a broom stick handle but this will do.

Now it's down to him and I for 1st place. By now he was using his own $400 cue - he found the competition a little tougher (hick bar) than he had anticipated. I was just about to stroke and sink the 8-ball when a man came over and wispered in my ear, "don't miss, I have $10 riding on this one shot". Thanx a lot!

Well, after winning the game, match, tourny my apponent broke his $400 cue stick over his knee. I've heard of people doing this but this was my only first hand experience.

One
04-05-2005, 03:09 AM
I shoot the 9-ball one handed while walking and picking up balls from the pocket at the same time, this requires good timing. My practice game gets faster when I do this. I almost run around the table when practicing, but I don't do it because I get sweaty otherwise.

HALHOULE
09-15-2005, 11:33 PM
NO, THEY ARE NOT AS GOOD AS THE PROS.

100andout
09-16-2005, 04:41 AM
Ask the Houseman about this one!
At the room he owns they used to sell housecues for like $5 that the "regulars" would take outside and smash against a tree by the back door when things were going a little bad for them while gambling!. When I worked the counter, I would just hold one of those cues out with one hand as they would come by fuming mad, then pay me when they come back in........Too funny!........G

houseman
09-16-2005, 02:22 PM
G-Man, I had forgot about that one.
Also had a guy use coffee creamer for powder.
A 14 yr old came in one time and took the balls to the table and forgot to pick out a cue, not seeing one he grabbed the bridge stick took off the bridge, and was going to shoot with it until I stopped him.
Since I don`t allow powder some kids use master chalk on their hand.
I really could write a book about my experiences in my room.

100andout
09-16-2005, 03:25 PM
You should write a book Mick, and I'll help! Hey remember when Booky Mac was playing Andy? straight pool and took his pants off and continued to play in his boxers?....too funny! He was bitchin he was getting the pants beat off him! The pool room has many stories like that we should get on paper before we forget!....G

houseman
09-16-2005, 09:38 PM
G-man
If you remember Mac was trying to give those pants away and nobody wanted them, them he pulled out about $3000.00 out of the pocket.

Fast_Eddie
09-18-2005, 05:39 AM
How some become so good in one handed pool. One word, Childern! Being an old pool hall player when I had my childern I bought a 7' Brunswick and they played all their lives on it. Well not alot of fun whipping them so I started shooting one handed. Funny, before long I was running the table. Started shooting only friends and family at bars for money and didn't take long they caught on. My conscentration was way up on one handed. They won't even play if I go one handed. Then on the children I went to one shot. Miss or make thier shot. Now every shot counts. Then on some of their friends now High School they give up. Alais I have a new challange! One handed wearing a 16oz boxing glove! Now once this became a runout no more challenges.Well then I ad the broom handle.P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E
Funny one night while in a pool hall I hear a guy spout off "Dang that is one of the best players in town!" I interest peaks! I look and there was Jeremy. The victim of being a neighborhood child. After a short talk I say go tell him you found someone to help win some money back. The guy says "e'll take your money! He has took all of my four friends and mine all night" I siad heck he won't even play me. He laughs and goes and says to Jeremy "Found someone who'll play you for $20 a game. Jeremy was excited and said "Who!?" Thew guy points to me and I turn around and he sees who it is. His reply was "NO WAY NOT EDDIE!" The guy shocked said you won't play hiom for money?" Jeremy said "Hell I won't play Eddie for fun!" LOL Everyone was rolling at the shock and face on that guy! I siad "Oh come on Jeremy I'll even shoot one handed." Needless to say that turned down request really shocked the guy who had loss his money. Just another priceless moment. Only thing once you're this known money games are far and fewer between. Thank God for other towns.

DickLeonard
09-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Joe Canton told me of seeing Andrew ST.Jean run 89 balls playing one handed. Andrew was a World Class Player but his scruples kept him out of Worlds Championship. Hal Houle would have known of him. ####

DickLeonard
09-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Alex there was a Hustler in the 20s/30s who hustled pool playing out of his mouth. The only thing he wanted was the opening shot. Then he would lean over the table dropping the cueball on the end ball playing it in the corner and run the game out.####

HALHOULE
03-10-2006, 05:18 AM
That was cue ball kelly, who could put a cue ball in his mouth, spit out the cue ball, and pocket the object ball. Most of his work was as a referee. Not a good pool player.

Hal

sack316
03-10-2006, 04:26 PM
some really great stories there folks... thanks for this thread. In my few years around rooms in the southeast I've seen quite a bit, but I still think the best I could have seen passed slightly before I was born and all I have is stories.

My Grandfather (Vartan Asdourian, for anyone who may by some chance have ever come across him anywhere from the 30's-70's) was apparently an awesome player. In his youth he had the honor of playing with Mosconi, who actually wanted him to play with him and said he could easily be a pro. His mother (my great Grandmother) wouldn't allow it since "pool could never be a good career", so he joined the military (side note, he helped found the OSI for you Air Force folks). At any rate, my Parents and Grandmother have told me amazing stories of his play, even in his later years, where they would go out and he could take on all comers one handed. He wasn't a show off or even a gambler at that time, but simply loved the competition. My Dad, who I can see through mechanics was probably once a decent player when his eyes were good, says he never stood a chance against him even when he played one handed.

Sorry I can't recall specific stories at the moment, but this thread made me think of him. Of course I inherited his nose, his receeding hairline, and various other physical attributes... if only I had his full shooting ability I'd be happy /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for all the great stories guys!

Sack

p.s. apparently he had a balabushka (sp?) cue that was left to my Uncle... no doubt wasting away in his attick somewhere... grrrrr!

PlynSets
03-10-2006, 04:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pokesteve:</font><hr> my first time going to a real pool hall in san diego, i was totally blown away

anybody else share stories of people that totally blew them away? <hr /></blockquote>

As a San Diego local (born and raised) I used to think all the talent was in San Diego.. LOL Don't get me wrong there's some STRRROOOONNNGG players in San Diego, but when I moved to Ontario (California) it seemed that there was alot more talented individuals. When I moved to Orange County and started playing at Hardtimes, Danny K's, and a few other places.. forget about it. Incidentally I am back in San Diego now. (North County)

It's my humble opinion that Victor Castro is the best player in San Diego. Don't get me wrong there's other guys that'll get a set on him every now and again, but I think in the long haul he's probably the best local player.

I disagree with what somebody said earlier. Some of these guys are as good as the pro's. There used to be a guy that was a marine that lived on Camp Pendleton that I used to run around with. His name was Robert Ray, he is a champion.. To play this guy you'd think he was just flat unbeatable, and everytime he played a "ringer" he'd still manage to come out on top somehow. He's long since gone back to North Carolina and I haven't seen him since, but he used to play Victor every now and again and they came up about even at the end of the day. I just was thumbing through an inside pool magazine the other day and He ended up taking 2nd in a tournament against all the world beaters. I can't remember who he took second too, but for some reason I want to say it was Bustamante? In the interview section Bustamate said Robert just got a little unlucky and it could've easily gone the other direction.

DJ