PDA

View Full Version : Top Players Getting Better?

Sid_Vicious
03-13-2004, 10:21 AM
I wondered something after hearing a story about a couple about some local action, couple of road players involved, expressions like "It was totally B&R, if someone missed making a ball on the break, it was an automatic runout by the opponent." It made me wonder if the cream of the pool crop has acquired more talent, possibly the same way we are doing, with all of the modern learning tools available today. Or is it simply that there are killer talent, just about the same magnitude of talent as past champions?

Do you think the top 1% are possibly getting even stronger than players of yester-year, learning from new information? Sorry if this seems like a "well DUH!" question, just thought I'd ask....sid

Papasmurf
03-13-2004, 11:51 AM
The biggest difference is that more information is being shared. In the old days (back to the Greenleaf, Mosconi, Crane, etc) The information or systems were held as Top Secret information by a lot of top players. Today you have a lot of books, videos, pool schools, and a lot more learning options to excell.

cycopath
03-13-2004, 12:00 PM
I think you may be right about players having more access to information these days, so their ability to get better faster has increased over ye olde players of yesteryears.

But for the most part, the youth of today are all about instant gratification, and may not put the time in to perfect their game with these tools. I am also guilty of buying an instructional book or video only to lay it on the stack of other unused books or videos.

I guess I hoping to absorb the information by osmosis.

Popcorn
03-13-2004, 05:36 PM
I don't think the players are playing any better, the demands of the game have not changed to any degree. If anything the conditions are better. Better cloth, balls, cues, tips, heck when Mosconi was doing most of his amazing play, there was not even air conditioning, yet he ran hundreds any given day on tough 5 x 10 tables. Can you imagine what it must have been like to play on a hot humid summer night? It must have been a chore, just to draw the ball on some of those tables back then. If you could resurrect Greenlief or Ponzi or any of those guys, I think they would have no problem playing todays players. I can only imagine how Hoppie would play on todays super fast heated tables, where you can create shots out of thin air and a 7 rail shot may be a cinch. It is not even the same game he played back then. No one really knows the answer, since there are no real measurements to go by, like in say track and field, but it is fun to speculate.

tateuts
03-13-2004, 09:48 PM
The biggest gains I see are todays players kick and play safe better than any human beings who have ever lived. At nine ball and one pocket, everyone is a notch up. I don't think they could play straight pool with the old guys.

Chris

NH_Steve
03-14-2004, 05:52 AM
It seems to me that the level of play among the women has really ratcheted up a notch. For all you hardliners that think men are so superior and always will be, they are starting to close the gap, folks. And it seems to me that more of the women have really sound fundamentals than many of the men. It appears that the women are in general taking a more disciplined approach to learning the game, whereas the men have traditionally just taught themselves by hanging out in the pool room, and many of them are loaded with quirks in their playing style. It could be the international players that have brought in this discipline, or it could be that the women in general are more open minded about getting coaching -- and they get it early and often. I don't know if this is true, but it is what I think I am seeing, IMHO.

Vagabond
03-14-2004, 06:04 AM
Where as men in general don`t. cheers
vagabond

raistlin
03-15-2004, 01:51 AM
To a large degree I think it is a combination of the shared information as pointed out above, and also the increasing international popularity of 9 ball. Every country has different styles of play eg Filipinos are terrific kickers and use lots of english; Europeans tend to pot very well; Taiwanese guys almost all have monster breaks; Americans tend to play more imaginative position. These are pretty big generalisations, but you see my point.

Since these days the top players are competing against each other on an almost weekly basis, they are adopting these different styles of play into their own games and thus the overall standard is improving.