PDA

View Full Version : Lambros cue SCAM on EBAY

SUPERSTAR
03-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Was just poking around on EBAY, and was checking on a cue that one of the guys i know is selling.
Well wouldn't you know it, but there is some new guy, advertising the SAME exact cue, when it is one of a kind. He actually is using the pictures that my friend took with his own camera, and passing them off as his own.
He doesn't have any bids as of yet, but just in case there is some unsuspecting person looking at it.

The SCAM link is
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3666100641&category=31 0

and the fake seller is some guy

tal0909but

He has NO feedback, and is apparently based in BRITAIN.

THE REAL SELLER OF THE CUE IS IUSEDTOBERICH, and has a feedback of 100%.

his link is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3664856341&category=21 212

cycopath
03-13-2004, 11:52 AM
That guy should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell!

Papasmurf
03-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Interesting!!! I had a similiar situation a few weeks ago when I sold my Richard Black One-of-Kind cue on Ebay. People need to be careful on any auction site. I wrote to ebay and the guy was removed. Make sure you file a complaint! Later PapaSmurf

MikeM
03-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Yes. File a complaint! Quickly.

MM

tateuts
03-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Same thing happened to me. I sold a high end cue to a good buyer - here's the auction:

E-Bay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3662710679&category=21 212&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSO%3AIT&rd=1)

Then a short time later they copied my ad and photos and try to sell my "one of a kind" cue to others:

Scam Ad (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3707902753&category=21 568&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1)

What pissed me off is I turned them in to E-Bay, who promptly did absolutely nothing about it.

You can see by the scam ad - a seller with good feedback means nothing - they simply stole his identity by obtaining his password, then just changed the forwarding e-mail address and password too.

Chris

tateuts
03-13-2004, 08:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> That guy should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell! <hr /></blockquote>

Cyco,

Please, we are already overcrowded in Los Angeles and the clinics have a line a mile long. Send him somewhere else.

Chris

Popcorn
03-13-2004, 09:09 PM
I think the reality is, you have to have personal contact with the other person whether buyer or seller. You have to request the personal information and speak to them on high dollar items. You can do it on even smaller items. There is no way to get around the fact, no matter what you are doing, whether buying a car, house or what ever, you go in with your eyes wide open. Scams are everywhere and just don't be foolish.

Predator314
03-13-2004, 09:17 PM
It's a damn shame how scumbags have corroded the internet. I sell a lot of billiards supplies and cues on eBay. These idiots make it hard on an honest person.

I don't sell custom cues because there are so many scams it's just not worth it. I sell production cues only.

iusedtoberich
03-14-2004, 02:32 AM
I'm the poster of the legit auction on eBay. I bet the people that copied your auction <font color="red">tateuts</font color> are the same ones that stole mine. I looked over your two links, and your guy did exactly the same thing that mine did. The text was copied verbatim, except for a few sentences that were left out. The pictures are exactly the same, except not all of ours were used on the thief's auction. And the scammers location is in GB in both cases.

I too sent at least 10 emails to ebay over the past 3 days via their "protection" links. They didn't do anything, and I have only received canned responses from them. I shouldn't have to pay their fees cause they didn't do their job in deleting the fraudulent auction, which might directly affect the price of my auction. Of course, there is no way they will see it my way, I can't even get a response from a real person.

Popcorn
03-14-2004, 02:52 AM
In your title bar you mention the names Scruggs as well as Black Boar as a ploy to draw viewers. This is against ebay rules as is the offer of other items for sale in the same add, as you do indirectly. You also offer different tips at an additional charge also against the ebay rules. No offense, but your ebay selling practices are not the most ethical either and if reported your ad may be pulled. It is a shame people just can't be on the up and up, yourself included.

iusedtoberich
03-14-2004, 03:18 AM
You have a valid point about my listing. I did not read all of the rules, and my title would be a violation. My optional tips would not be, as I believe they can be interpreted as a "Bonus item" since I am clearly stating their price.

That said, there is a huge difference in my violation and the other person's. I bent the rules to get a larger audience for my auction, which benefits both me, and the buyers, whom might not otherwise have seen the auction. The other person broke the rules in a flagrant attempt to steal an unsuspecting individual's money.

Although we are both in violation, my offense is on the order of J-walking, while his is grand theft auto.

Popcorn
03-14-2004, 03:37 AM
If someone is looking for a Scruggs they are forced to see your ad. I had an ad on where I offered a choice of color with an item, no additional money involved and I was notified of a violation and the ad was canceled. As far as your ad goes, you obviously could care less about the rules, just what benefits you. Ever hear of just playing by the rules like everyone else? I see this is the first item you have ever sold and you have an identity change some time back. You are on shaky ground yourself as a seller of a high end item as far as trust goes. A buyer has no reason to have any exceptional trust in you. I myself don't care for the fact that you really don't care about the rules, it is a little bit of an insight into you as a person, something that needs to be considered when deciding to deal with you. Just my opinion.

iusedtoberich
03-14-2004, 03:58 AM
Like I said before, my title is in violation, and I was not aware of it. I am not excusing the title violation due to my ignorance. There is nothing I can do about it now, as I can't change anything this late in the auction.

Also, as I have stated before, my offense is magnitudes of order less than the guy who is trying to steal money from people. That is not a defense for my title listing, but simply a way to put things into perspective.

The identity change of my eBay username is of no consequence. When a user changes names, the entire feedback history of ALL of their previous names is consolidated into the feedback of their new screen name.

Frankly, I don't see why you have turned this thread around on me. The original poster posted to inform the pool playing community of the fraudulent auction. I decided to register and post after reading the replies of similar experiences and to offer any updates.

tateuts
03-14-2004, 09:31 AM
I had a situation a while back where a legit seller and E-Bayer with good feedback was offering a "new" It's George 3 X 6 case in "Ostrich". The 3X6's in new condition go pretty high in leather - like up to $400 - $450 or so versus maybe $100 or $150 for vinyl. I looked at it and I could tell by the thickness of the seam and the stitching it was vinyl, but I was perplexed that it wasn't marked with a "V" after the George name. So I looked closely at the photos and could see someone had rubbed off the "V" but it was barely visible!

I e-mailed the seller and informed him I thought he should let people know the case was vinyl. I'm sure you've seen the vinyl George cases - they're flimsy compared to the leather cases. He e-mailed me back that when he wrote the ad "I didn't know it was vinyl. Thanks for the info" . I wrote him back and said "well now you do, why don't you add it to the description". In the meantime, people were bidding this case up. I waited a couple of days, and no added description - now we're up to about $300 for the case.

I informed all the bidders that the case was vinyl and that the seller refused my suggestion to inform people of this.

I received three thank you e-mails and everybody retracted their bids. It went down to $69. I received one upset e-mail from seller saying he "suspected" me of informing everyone. I wrote back and told him I did, and that I was resented having to do his job for him. I told him that I thought he was using bad judgement and that we have a "community" for a reason.

Anyway, he after all this he added the vinyl description, couldn't catch a good bid, and cancelled the auction.

I probably violated E-Bay rules doing this, but I don't care. I'll be damned if I'm going to sit there and let people get ripped off if there's someting I can do about it.

Chris

tateuts
03-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Sounds like Popcorn's got a pet peeve!

Truthfully, with a Lambros cue, you don't have to do much to sell it. The hard part is setting a realistic price in todays market. A friend of mine just sold this one, which was just immaculate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=21212&amp;item=3659228 225

He was certain he could get $3,000 for it, but it wasn't to be.

I've also found that it's worth it to pay $20 and get the "featured plus" on high-end cues. I usually will get 25% more views with the featured plus. But no matter how many looks you get, the price has to be set right to sell it.

Chris

SUPERSTAR
03-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Sorry IUSEDTOBERICH. I could have warned you that some people on these forums are picky about stuff. I had originally posted to inform people about the fraud so that i might get some insight into what to do, AND to warn them. I didn't expect anyone to turn it around, and decide to blame you for your selling practices. Obviously they missed the point. Or have some other issues that forced them to chime in with an attack. It's an ethical issue but quite frankly i feel that it's a rather pathetic one. Your use of other cuemaker's in your title is something that i have seen tons of times looking for stuff on ebay. So therefore....if i've seen it enough times, why would i ever think it was wrong. But i guess it is.
The guy trying to rip someone off on the other hand is another matter altogether. THERE IS NO QUESTION THAT THE PRACTICE IS WRONG.

Popcorn
03-14-2004, 01:48 PM
I have done the same thing. As long as you don't offer to sell them something yourself, I see nothing wrong with it. It isn't the big scam that hurts, as much as the little fudging on things like descriptions, and false claims, small miss representing and rule cheats. These little things just leave a bad taste in the buyers mouth and hurt everybody.

Cueless Joey
03-14-2004, 02:01 PM
I have used Lambros. One shaft with the Ultra joint.
Bocote forearm with brass rings.
Spam alert, if you really want it, PM me.