PDA

View Full Version : Break Cue - Flat Tip ?

recoveryjones
03-13-2004, 12:16 PM
I just read on another forum that several pro's (nine ball) flatten
out their tips on their break cues. By doing so it helps in keeping
english off the cue ball and therefore it aids in stopping the cue
ball in the middle of the table.

Is this true? Has anyone tried it? What were the results? I was
thinking of giving it a try, however I thought I'd ask around here for
some expert advice before touching up my (bungee)tip that I'm already
breaking OK with.RJ

Pelican
03-13-2004, 02:41 PM
I used to use a Huebler J/B with a phenolic tip that was flat. It was awesome but I found I can break as well with my son's break cue and I don't have to carry it around /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
03-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Yes, it's true. The break is ment to be hit with no english (side spin) what so ever. If the cb spins at all, then, you've just lost power. Keep in mind my friend. With a flat tip it's easy to fly off the table unless you hit dead straight on the headball. Regardless of what angle your hitting from.

I use a Talisman xH and only about 2 layers, that's it. The best break cue you can have is one that doesn't have a tip on it. That's also illeagal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

dr_billiards
03-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Chris,
I might be wrong, but I thought that they ruled the phenolic tips in, so wouldn't it also be legal for a break cue to have just a phenolic ferrule without a tip. I use one of these on my break/jump cues and have it a little flatter than a nickel Shape. It hits like a atom bomb!
The blue chalk on the end makes it appear to have a worn out tip on it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Doc B

Sid_Vicious
03-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Yes, a quarter roundness is as far as I'd shape a breaker...sid

Chris Cass
03-14-2004, 07:39 AM
Geez DocB,

I'm not sure of the rule? I thought that the tip had to have some leather fiber mixed in? I can easily see them outlawing the Sledgehammer b/j. That's like stealing.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif hmm never really seen anything on that ruling yet?

Sid_Vicious
03-14-2004, 07:53 AM
"so wouldn't it also be legal for a break cue to have just a phenolic ferrule without a tip"

Maybe I'm just acclimated to my personal jumper but I hit with a jumper yesterday that had a totally phenolic ferulle, no tip, just that blue chalk color on the end as you stated. I couldn't get it to hop near as well as my Lucasi. I never tried the whole cue(it was a BJ) for breaking though. I'd certainly have no trouble accepting a legal change away from these ferulle only cues, just doesn't sound proper without a tip of any kind...sid

ceebee
03-14-2004, 12:01 PM
I like Sid's Quarter sized radius, even to the point of making the tip almost a 50 cent piece radius. The flatter surface gives the chalked cue tip some gripping power in the strike. The flat tip would work well, but requires an extra extra amount of accuracy that a slightly radiused tip compensates for.

Being in the Break Shot business, I've research a great deal. My BreakRAK Break Cue is made with a 25-50 cent radius & a thinner tip (compressing a thin tip is difficult to impossible). The Break Cue isn't chalked & used all day, so a thin tip last quite awhile. My tip has been used everyday for a year & it's still on there.

Correctly chalking the tip is a favorite piece of info I like to pass off. The 1/8 inch center of the tip must have chalk on it. sometimes the rotation of a Chalk cube doesn't correctly apply the chalk to that area. The Cue Tip must have chalk on it, to correctly grip the cue ball as it sends the cue ball along the intended path (hopefully without any spin).