PDA

View Full Version : Giving The Break As Part Of The Spot

Sid_Vicious
03-14-2004, 07:45 AM
If you had the choice would a 6-out spot from a monster player, giving him ALL of the breaks, or would you possibly rather take an alternate offer from the guy of the 7-out and you'd play winner breaks, as normal???sid

Mike H
03-14-2004, 08:26 AM
The 7-out is a considerably smaller spot than the 6-out, but if this monster player has a great break, forget about giving him that unless the game is on a really tight table. One option is to make him break from the spot, or make it alternating breaks. With the 7-out, you need to be sure it's the right game. It's slightly less of a spot than the 5-ball, maybe about as strong as the 6, maybe a little more. So if you beat this guy with the 5, then the 7-out is the next step. But I wouldn't let a great breaker have all the breaks without some sort of hindrance to the break.

Sid_Vicious
03-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Mike...Here's a strange twist on the day, his break was killer UNLESS the pack was intensely tight, even the slightest gap and he'd always string a run after the break. I NEVER loose rack anyone, but in this case I found that seriously packing the rack hobbled his break, scratching in the side was a common event. He wanted to begin racking his own and I quickly pointed out that I was getting him a tight rack, so "No, you can't rack your own." I would have figured he would adjust to the tight racks, but I guess he was used to his normal gorilla stroke and couldn't back off. A softer break would have been his savior. I was down one set and he quit on me, but that was ok,,,I usually lose to this guy and yesterday I had his real game and learned a little in the process. Plus it was appealing to me to find that I could run him out of the game under any circumstances, well worth cost of the set. Had I not made some key jumps on his purposeful hooks ahead of the money balls, I'd have gotten "stuck" for the day...sid~~~really likes his jump cue

Papasmurf
03-14-2004, 11:36 AM
You never let the other player rack his own break. Especially if spots are involved because you can rack the balls to your advantage by placing them in certain spots in the rack. Certain parts of a nine ball rack are very difficult to make the ball. For example, the two spots behind the one ball are the hardest balls to make other then the nine. I always rack the balls I am spotting to my opponent in those two spots. Of course the wing balls and the bottom ball will go in the most so it would be stupid to put your spotted balls in those places. I guarentee if he racks them he will put the seven and eight on the wing and hope the drop on his break. Hope this helps. Later Murphy

ceebee
03-14-2004, 11:48 AM
...knowing an opposing Players' game is a nice advantage. Players cough up a SPOT, as BAIT to a lesser skilled opponent. Why give an opponent a chance to shorten the process (meaning the 7 wins in lieu of the 9), when playing a handicapped race (set of 7-4 as an example) works well for the superior player & still comes off as BAIT.

There are players everywhere, that play to a low handicap, but they BREAK up the Rack like machines for some reason. For that reason, I never give up the BREAK.

Sid_Vicious
03-14-2004, 11:56 AM
That surfaces another question I had. I was racking the 7-8 behind the one, and the 6 in the row behind the nine's row. Thing I noticed though is that my money balls weren't drifting towards any pockets on his break, and I wondered...what if I let the 6 travel by putting it in the last row? Sure I'd gamble that I'd lose a money ball, but seeing that he wasn't breaking well with my tight racks, maybe that tactic would give me a hanger half the time. Just a thought...sid

Sid_Vicious
03-14-2004, 12:04 PM
ceebee...Are you suggesting that the 7-out with winner breaks is preferable over 6-out and he breaks? I am breaking well these days, and having 3 money balls rolling would have a special flavor. I was lucky the guy wasn't rolling in a ball on me during his breaks, but I'd not expect that again on another day from this guy. I had fun though. Come over to Skillman next trip and you can see his break, not shabby for a local shortstop, may be one of the best breakers in the house on any given day...sid

ceebee
03-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Sid, I'm suggesting that you establish a race, where each opponent has to make the 9 Ball, in order to win. If your opponent is a rated 6 & you are a rated 8, you have a race of 6 to 8.

BUT...., that's not enough of a handicap for a lesser player to win, but it can be made to seem like it's fair.

Ralph S.
03-14-2004, 09:02 PM
I'll take the 7-out and winner breaks. I have a killer break and aint afraid to say so. I have been told by several A players in my area, they wish they had my break. One of the local shortsops in my area gave me the wild 7 and the breaks one night. I torched him and cant get a damned bit of weight outta him now. He is still the better, but wont give up anything to anyone now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
03-15-2004, 12:42 AM
You can't give up the break to a really strong player. He may be able to win 30% of the games just breaking and running out, or making the first move after the break resulting in a win. He now has only to win 21% of the remaining games to beat you. If he just breaks even with you on the games he doesn't win from the break, he will still beat you by a 30% margin. Players that can give up that much weight are capable of keeping a lot of pressure on you as the weaker player.

You would be surprised, even with a lot of weight, it is not automatic, you have to perform. If you are a dog, weight will not change that, and you are not all of a sudden a smarter player because you are getting weight. Players are often surprised how much weight you can actually give them. I have mentioned this before, I would rather give weight then play an equal player, it is easier. You may not win because it is just too much weight, but it is a less pressured game. A weak player is still a weak player even with weight. They make all the same mistakes, dog the same shots and have the same fears. Weight can't cure that.