PDA

View Full Version : Tip Tools, What do You like and why?

bluey2king
03-15-2004, 10:40 AM
What tip tools work for you? I have tried several I saw someone using a Ultimate 5 in 1, it looks pretty good. Comments:
Retipping what do you use?
Thanks for your reponses! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-15-2004, 10:58 AM
For scuffing?

At the risk of suffering slings and arrows from the non-scuffers, I use a Cue Cube or an Ultimate tip tool.

Sorry non-scuffers I like 'em hairy not glassy.

Popcorn
03-15-2004, 11:00 AM
"What tip tools work for you? I have tried several I saw someone using a Ultimate 5 in 1, it looks pretty good. Comments:
Retipping what do you use?"

None, I like a piece of sand paper and a file. The tip pik thing is unique though. I would rather use a piece of sand paper to scuff and shape my tip. Has nothing to do with being cheap, since sand paper over a period of time will cost you more the a tool, I think it is better. You can get your tip perfect and just the way you like it. Some of those tools sold will actually wreck your tip if you are not careful.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-15-2004, 11:24 AM
OUCH!
Tips and their maintenance are as indivual as the choices we make with cues.

I use the tip pick, Ultimate tip tool, Willards shaper (nickel) and a tip tapper. When and which depends on the what is needed at the time.

1. I always use the shaper when I take my cue out of the case. I don't grind it into the tip, I just like to make sure I use it. I just swipe it across the tip a few times.

2. Tip Pik.. usually I don't use this. It's used more by players borrowing it, than by me.

3. Tip Tapper.. (see #2)

4. Ultimate Tip tool...(see # 2)

All of these little tip tools were won as door prizes over the past 7 years at the Cincinnati Straight Pool League's season ending parties.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-15-2004, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>

All of these little tip tools were won as door prizes over the past 7 years at the Cincinnati Straight Pool League's season ending parties.

<hr /></blockquote>

Speaking of which, that was yesterday. John was giving $10 for 9-ball snaps and I made 4 /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I played 22 games and won the coin flip on about 15 /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

They just recovered the tables in back and I found the sweet spot. I have a pretty good 9-ball break for somebody who rarely plays the game /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used Eric's "martial arts" speed style I think /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
03-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Don't know what the name of it was, but the absolute worst tip tool I ever saw anyone use was a hollow black plastic cylinder with a curved sheet-metal blade inside. You put it over the end of your tip and rotated it, and it scraped the crown of the tip to a nickel contour. It literally pulls tips apart if not used extremely carefully.

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
03-15-2004, 12:28 PM
that's even worse than using a car key on a bar cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
03-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Like most of us here, I have a variety of tip tools.
The tool I use most is the Brad Scuffer. I learned how to use it many years ago from a pro player. When used properly, it does the job of scuffing your tip evenly, and it is easy on the tips. Best of all, it goes into your pocket conveniently, so it is always handy.

Predator314
03-15-2004, 01:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Don't know what the name of it was, but the absolute worst tip tool I ever saw anyone use was a hollow black plastic cylinder with a curved sheet-metal blade inside. You put it over the end of your tip and rotated it, and it scraped the crown of the tip to a nickel contour. It literally pulls tips apart if not used extremely carefully.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

You're not talking about this thing are you:

http://www.seyberts.com/cue_accessories/tiptools/popupimages/cutrite.jpg

I've tried on of these and they suck.

I use an ultimate tip tool at the Pool Hall if I need some tip maintenance. If I'm home, I use my Porper Mushroom Grazer and Porper Burnisher. I'm not much of a scuffer /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dr_billiards
03-15-2004, 02:10 PM
1. Willards - nickle
2. Tip Pick
3. Tip tapper - haven't used in years but carry it in my case for some unGodly reason
I would have to say that I use the tip pick the most, probably during,between, and after every game.
I'm a mess around constantly with your tip junkie.
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
03-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Wally,

Congrats.. that would make your take home around $200 from the season, playoffs and championship wins and tournament givaways... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I sure hope everyone had a good time yesterday.. I called and talked to Tim and I sure hope he told everyone HI for me.. like I asked him.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-15-2004, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Wally,

Congrats.. that would make your take home around $200 from the season, playoffs and championship wins and tournament givaways... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue">$ 195

Does this make me a pro? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

I sure hope everyone had a good time yesterday.. I called and talked to Tim and I sure hope he told everyone HI for me.. like I asked him.

<font color="blue">Tim was as busy as a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Grady was there doing a clinic up front at the same time. That lasted 4 hours. Then the CSPL guys went up there and he showed us some 14.1 and 1P stuff and told some cool stories for an hour or two. He was pretty tired by then /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A good time was had by all. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

stickman
03-15-2004, 08:41 PM
I have several tools, but the only one I carry is the Willard shaper/scuffer,dime size. It is the dome shaped one with the contour gauge on the edge. I only use it for shaping. After about 2 weeks of heavy use, a new tip firms up and settles in, and I don't use anything other than chalk after that. I currently prefer the Talisman WB Med. With some other tips, particularly non-layered, I would probably have to bring out some of my old tools.

http://www.poolndarts.com/images/products/thumb/2/thumb_25-400.jpg Williard cue tip shaper
http://www.poolndarts.com/images/products/thumb/2/thumb_29-700.jpg Rapid cue top sander
http://www.poolndarts.com/images/products/thumb/P/thumb_PM60.jpg Porpers mushroom grazer (be careful with this one) Be sure to adjust the screw properly to prevent damage to your ferrule!
http://www.poolndarts.com/images/products/thumb/P/thumb_PT14.jpg Porper little shaver
http://www.poolndarts.com/images/products/thumb/T/thumb_TC30.jpg Porper tip clamp

These are the tools for retipping that I used before I got my lathe. It takes a little skill, and time to get good results.

I have a tip tik and a few more tools that I never use.

Hope this helps, Jim

stickman
03-15-2004, 09:05 PM
The Porper burnisher is dangerous to use on layered tips. The heat and twisting motion can cause layers to begin to separate. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

buddha162
03-16-2004, 01:43 PM
For shaping I use both the Ultimate tip tool and the Willard nickel scuffer. I found that using the fire-starting method (tip tool on floor, shaft a-twirling in your hands), the nickel shaper on the UTT gives a rough, uneven crown to layered tips, but the actual curvature seems greater than that of the Willard. The willard gives a rounder, smoother surface, but less of a curvature.

So, I gently shape with the UTT first, clean off the tip of leather fibers, and use the Willard to smooth things out. I then press the tip against a smooth piece of leather and twist, to smooth things out even more (not hard enough to burnish, obviously). Finally, I hold a nickel (a brand new one!) up to the tip, and against a lightsource. If the tip does not follow the nickel's curve to a T, I start over again (I wonder why my tips don't last as long?)

I burnish the sidewall with saliva and a matchbook cover.

I'm really anal about tips...

-Roger

Wally_in_Cincy
03-16-2004, 01:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr>...I'm really anal about tips...

-Roger <hr /></blockquote>

you will feel right at home around this place then.

Wally~~scuffs, but not anal

daviddjmp
03-16-2004, 03:53 PM
I am trying to stay away from tools. I really scratched my ferrule burnishing the sides of my tip with the Ultimate tip tool. I also pretty much ruined a tip by shaping it too much. A lot of this is probably my incompetence with this and the TipPik as well, but I like the idea(as do some others) of just using chalk and nothing else. When the tip gets out of shape, I replace it-

buddha162
03-16-2004, 05:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr>...I'm really anal about tips...

-Roger <hr /></blockquote>

you will feel right at home around this place then.

Wally~~scuffs, but not anal <hr /></blockquote>

lol - I already do!

I also constantly check for mushrooming. Sometimes in the middle of running a rack.

Don't even get me started on the tables, balls, shafts, etc. I'm heading to the nuthouse before I turn 30.

-Roger (anal with fishing equipment as well)

stickman
03-16-2004, 11:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> I also constantly check for mushrooming. Sometimes in the middle of running a rack.
Don't even get me started on the tables, balls, shafts, etc. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not alone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The people that love to use too much talc drive me nuts. Putting the chalk upside down on the rail might take me over the edge. Just kidding, but these types of things do disturb me.

Tommy_Davidson
03-17-2004, 12:49 AM
&gt; I use a tool I bought from a cue repairman in Memphis. His brother worked at Federal File,and made up a small run of this great product. It's basically a longer Tip Tapper,about 3 1/2 inches long,and has the knurls on the whole surface,and it's CURVED,in a wide radius,kind of like those long shapers that hold a narrow strip of sandpaper,but with no sandpaper. It can be used as a tapper,or as a single/double cut file for rough shaping depending on what direction you turn it. It's black in color,no cheesy plating to come off and glaze your tip. I had that problem with a gold plated tapper Nick Varner gave me once. I also use a It's George tool,the one with carbide grit on one side and a tapper like side. For actual shaping,I do that in the lathe,and let the tip adjust itself to the way I hit the ball,similar to Deno's method. I see people all the time complaining that they miscue a lot,and when I look at their tip,it's usually not due to lack of chalk,it's the fact that their tip shapes itself far rounder than the typical nickel/dime shape,even though they say they haven't shaped it since I installed it. Mine go the opposite way,flattening out to more of a quarter radius,on my break cue I use a 1 1/8 radius gauge,this is the same radius that matches a 2 1/4 ball. The flatter tip on my break cue gives me about 5 times the surface contact between the tip and the cue ball,creating a bigger "sweet spot",and makes a slightly mis-hit break not so disastrous. Tommy D.

buddha162
03-18-2004, 05:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I'm not alone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The people that love to use too much talc drive me nuts. Putting the chalk upside down on the rail might take me over the edge. Just kidding, but these types of things do disturb me. <hr /></blockquote>

You're not alone.

Though I use talc, I use very little. I keep it in a contact lense case, and using my right index fingertip I dip and brush the insides of my left index and thumb. Barely a dusting, and then I brush it off with a dry paper towel. Leaves nothing on the table.

My latest gadgetry is the almighty lint-roller. No more scraping my fingertips raw trying to pinch up little specs of this and that on the table.

-Roger

stickman
03-18-2004, 07:46 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif