PDA

View Full Version : Is Jeannette back?

Nostroke
03-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Finished First in Atlanta, 2nd in MIssissippi, 1st at Mohegan Sun. Played great at the DCC.

It's no longer the Allison/Karen show maybe.
Got to give her credit. It sure looks like her game is up a notch and she is going to make a run for #1. What do you think?

Barbara
03-15-2004, 11:59 AM
I think she's going to make a run for #1 this year. I think she's tired of being in the wings. With her back the way it is, how many more years can she remain playing pool?

Barbara

But what do I know?... I'm just [i]some broad[/i...

Wally_in_Cincy
03-15-2004, 12:00 PM
I would bet playing at DCC helped her a bit, among other things. I think I read somewhere she was backing off the extracariculars (sp?)and practicing more.

Funny thing is I have read in 2 different mags where Allison was crying about the T of C win by Jeanette. She said she waaay outplayed Jeanette but lost anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally~~still loves them both

Rich R.
03-15-2004, 01:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Funny thing is I have read in 2 different mags where Allison was crying about the T of C win by Jeanette. She said she waaay outplayed Jeanette but lost anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Sometimes, that is the nature of 9-ball, isn't it?

Perk
03-15-2004, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> T of C win
Sometimes, that is the nature of 9-ball, isn't it? <hr /></blockquote>

What is T of C win? I havent heard that term yet.

PQQLK9
03-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Tournament of Champions

Nostroke
03-15-2004, 05:11 PM
I haven't seen real evidence of back discomfort lately. I think maybe things are a bit better in that department. She played in every event at DCC plus at least one long late nite session. That's a brutal schedule and i don't remember her stretching or grabbing her lower back as she did in the past when she was evidently having problems.

SRpool
03-15-2004, 05:34 PM
I agree. She is playing very well and is getting lessons from the best. She is also trying to get to all of the tournaments. All of it should pay off. You are also right, she doesn't seem to be in too much pain lately. She is competition so I can't really say good luck. But the hard work will pay off.

Sarah

bigalerickson
03-15-2004, 05:46 PM
I sure am rooting for her, if only because she is recovring from back problems too.

-Alex - still cant play more than a race to seven without hurting.

Sally
03-15-2004, 06:23 PM
You didn't read it in IP. I've never known Allison to be a "crier." That was a great match, though, very enjoyable to watch.

bigbro6060
03-15-2004, 08:45 PM
It was great to see Jeanette beat Karen and Alison back to back in the tournament of champions

I think everyone in Pool wants to see a three way tussle at the top. Jeanette brings a lot to the game

I thought that she had been overtaken for good by karen and alison, good to see her fight back

Vagabond
03-16-2004, 05:32 AM
During the WPBA event`s Trophy presentation time at Tunica,MS few weeks ago Alison Fisher with a gigle said ``She(Jeanette) is persistent and I am consistent``.U may look for this on ESPN when it is aired.Cheers
Vagabond

Eric.
03-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Dave, I agree. It looks like Jeanette has turn her game up a notch. Maybe she is playing against George more? Someone said she "rededicated" herself to the game last summer. If that's the case, the work is paying off.

I remember last Summer when Jeanette stopped by NYC and played in one of our local tournaments. I think she went 2-2, but in all fairness, the field did have some good players in it. I wonder how she would do now.

Eric

Nostroke
03-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Maybe. George sure can play. I saw an Accu-stats Highlites tape where he makes one incredible shot during a match, shooting the CB virtually out of a corner pocket down the long rail into the pocket facing bouncing into the opposite facing and then coming out of the pocket bounding across the short rail to make the one ball hanging in the opposite corner pocket.

Just 4 or 5 tournaments ago Jeanette had the 2 lowest finishes of her career. Maybe that was the wake-up call that got her back to the practice table.

Im always happy to see a veteran make a comeback. Though i havent been a rabid JL fan, if she makes it back to the top playing at a new level, she will have won me over for sure. I wish her luck.

JayCee
03-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Who is giving Jeanette lessons? I saw her play last weekend in the Women's Atlanta Open and she played really good. She made it look so easy and effortless.

SRpool
03-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi JayCee,

Jeanette mentioned that she is getting lessons from Jerry Briesath and Mark Wilson and one other that I cannot remember right now.

Qtec
03-18-2004, 07:00 PM
So you automaticaly assume that because she played well ,she must be getting lessons?

Why?

Q

Barbara
03-18-2004, 07:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> So you automaticaly assume that because she played well ,she must be getting lessons?

Why?

Q

<hr /></blockquote>

Q,

One time when I was stationed at VF at the Pro Arena Jeanette was taking a break during her match and came outside the arena. Her hubby George was there and they started talking. I casually (and jokingly) reminded Jeanette that this conversation could be miscontrued as "coaching" by her opponent.

This is when George said, "How am I coaching her, she's playing better than I do!".

We all laughed.

Still...

So who does Tiger Woods go to when he needs to keep in shape? I'm reasonably sure Jeanette's getting some refreshers from some coaches. It happens all the time. Unless you're perfect.

Barbara

But what do I know?... I'm just some broad...

SPetty
03-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Hi Qtec,

JayCee didn't assume Jeanette was taking lessons. He was responding to a post by SRPool that said Jeanette was taking lessons.

Nothing wrong with lessons, right?

P.S. to JayCee: Nice to see you posting again. Hope your game is coming along better than mine!

9 Ball Girl
03-19-2004, 08:41 AM
The game of pool. Whether you're an Amateur or a Pro, there's always room for improvement/tweaking/etc. Its always got its learning curves.

Wendy&lt;---pool fool

JayCee
03-19-2004, 09:01 AM
Q,

I wasn't assuming Jeanette played well b/c she was taking lessons, or getting coaching. I was just interested in knowing who was giving her lessons.

Until next time,

JC

JayCee
03-19-2004, 09:10 AM
Hello SPetty. How are you? My game is not doing well at all.

I'm experiencing problems with my stroke and aiming. My stroke isn't smooth and I'm undercutting most of my cut shots.

I've been experiencing with my stance thinking it would help me to better see the correct line of the shot, but that didn't help. I was switching from a somewhat snooker stance and a regular pool stance.

I really don't know what to do at this point. My stroke is so choppy. I can set up a short straight in shot and when I shoot it, I'll miss is or over cut it to the right of the pocket. The only thing I can think is the stroke on this one - not hitting the CB where I intended (center ball)

Thanks for listening...

Until next time,

JC

9 Ball Girl
03-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Hey Jay, I feel your pain. I used to have problems finding the center of the ball (unbeknowst to me, I was applying Enlish) until I was taught this drill:

1. Place the cueball on the headspot
2. Shoot the cueball to the long rail at the 2nd diamond
3. Stay down in your stance and wait for the cue ball to come back
4. If the cue ball hits your tip dead center, then you've found the center of the cueball!
If the cue ball hits the side of your tip, then start adjusting

Once you've got that down, try doing the same thing by placing the cueball on the head spot, and shooting the cueball to the short rail so that the cue ball travels the length of the table.

If you can't see the diamond when you get in your stance to shoot, then place the chalk on the diamond.

Hope this works for you! It did for me!

Nostroke
03-19-2004, 11:20 AM
The only problem with this drill is that there are too many other aids that help you find center ball. You are in the center of the table squared up to everything, you are shooting parallel to the rail. At least these things help me and i do this drill well.

When i try to find center ball in other situations, im totally lost. I miss hit the cue ball and thus the rack on about 50% of my breaks. Any other ideas out there?

Qtec
03-19-2004, 11:49 PM
Barbara,I believe everybody can benefit from from good advice.I was just wondering if there was a noticeable change in her style of play or stance etc that would suggest she was recieving lessons. I would imagine that being able to play pain-free would help with concentration.
I also had a back problem that virtually stopped me playing for about a year.

I havent seen much of JL but from what I have seen, she looked pretty solid.
Q

Qtec
03-20-2004, 12:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JayCee:</font><hr> Hello SPetty. How are you? My game is not doing well at all.

I'm experiencing problems with my stroke and aiming. My stroke isn't smooth and I'm undercutting most of my cut shots.

I've been experiencing with my stance thinking it would help me to better see the correct line of the shot, but that didn't help. I was switching from a somewhat snooker stance and a regular pool stance.

I really don't know what to do at this point. My stroke is so choppy. I can set up a short straight in shot and when I shoot it, I'll miss is or over cut it to the right of the pocket. The only thing I can think is the stroke on this one - not hitting the CB where I intended (center ball)

Thanks for listening...

Until next time,

JC <hr /></blockquote>

JC,
if you take a lesson from a qualified instructor you will save yourself a lot of time and a lot of headaches. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Q

Nostroke
03-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Jeanette beat Allison and Karen to go into the hotseat undefeated. Romona Dokovic plays Allison on the losers side the winner plays K Corr, and that winner plays Jeanette for the title.

Congrats to Romona who makes her first TV appearance. Im no longer in SD but Romona was hitting them especially well!