PDA

View Full Version : safe JUMP SHOT practice

ceebee
03-15-2004, 03:24 PM
SPetty gave me some thick mylar sheet (Leroy found some during our 2-14-04 get together.) It measures to be .012 inch thick.

The mylar sheet (cut to 3 x 5 inches) works great to protect the cloth. In reality, nothing can keep the compression from happening, but the cloth does look & feel to be unharmed. I know the Pool Room Owners & the Jump Shot artists will benefit from this post.

Popcorn
03-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Get a piece of indoor outdoor carpet about 2 ft. x 3 ft. for the ball to land on, the pool room owner will like that. The ball also will travel pretty true after landing to see how accurate the shot was.

SPetty
03-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Hi ceebee,

Glad you got it. I'd been meaning to send it for awhile, just like I've been meaning to email you to let you know I finally sent it!

Ceebee brought over a thinner variety of mylar, like you can get at the local office supply, and I asked jump-master Sid to do his best jumping with the mylar under the cue ball. I inspected real close after the jumps - not a mark on the table.

Not something you want for playing the game, but if you want to practice your jump shots, I really believe this mylar stuff will protect your cloth. I haven't tried the thicker stuff yet, but I wonder if it changes how the cue ball reacts versus jumping directly on the cloth?

Doctor_D
03-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Good evening:

A piece of used Simonis Cloth works well also. Whenever my room owner recovers a table, I ask for a slice to use during practice.

Dr. D.

Rod
03-15-2004, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't tried the thicker stuff yet, but I wonder if it changes how the cue ball reacts versus jumping directly on the cloth?
<hr /></blockquote>

SPetty,
Anything between the cloth will change how the c/b reacts. To what degree depends on what is used. Anything also will protect the cloth. I'd imagine mylar would not give the same effect if the c/b is hit with side english. On regular cloth the c/b reacts immediately before the jumped ball and after of course, probably with mylar it would not be near as much. Jumping a ball at 4" isn't too bad but with mylar it may take even more cue elevation. I don't really practice jumping balls to a large degree, just a few hits to see how the table reacts. Usually less than a half dozen times or not at all.

For the happy hoppers though, they should use something. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Mylar is tough so it sounds like a fair choice.

Rod

stickman
03-15-2004, 10:34 PM
I have heard a small, thin cutting board works well also. It might jump a little higher, but that would good for learning how, and protecting the table.