PDA

View Full Version : Elk Masters gluing problem solved

stickman
03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
I usually use 80 to 100 grit sand paper to sand the blue stuff off the back of the tips to prep for gluing. The backs always looked kind of porous. I've found that if you continue sanding them farther down they will become smooth. It's like there are air bubbles on the bottom sides? Anyway, if they are sanded enough, they are smooth and the glue holds better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stretch
03-16-2004, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I usually use 80 to 100 grit sand paper to sand the blue stuff off the back of the tips to prep for gluing. The backs always looked kind of porous. I've found that if you continue sanding them farther down they will become smooth. It's like there are air bubbles on the bottom sides? Anyway, if they are sanded enough, they are smooth and the glue holds better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You must know about this one Stick, Just spread your glue on with a toothpick or something. Get the tip surface wet as well as the ferrul surface. That's the primer coat. Wait 5 or 10 minuits till the primer coat dries then use a drop more of glue spread and stick it on.......you'll never get it off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Stretch~~out of the compost of failure grows success~~

stickman
03-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the tip Stretch! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
03-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Yes the back of those tips have craters. LOL They do as well as all tips need to be sanded flat. Those imperfections don't go well with super glue but an epoxy with more viscosity will fill them in. Not that I'm suggesting that is a correct way.

Rod