PDA

View Full Version : Playing from behind/staying focused

UWPoolGod
03-16-2004, 12:34 PM
We had a particularly tough bar tourney last night...if you consider bar tourneys tough...I mean I guess its not the weekly at Hard Times in Sacramento but what can you do. We had 17 players including 5 BCA Masters and 6 or so APA 7's. AS I looked at the room I knew it was going to be a super tough tourney and if I wanted to win I needed to keep my head in it. 9ball race to 3.
Got down 0-2 my first match against a master and safed my way back to a 3-2 win. Same thing the next match, down 0-2 and come back to win 3-2. I finally then played a weaker player and got him 3-0. I played my third master for the point and after losing the 1st game, played some good shots ,snapped a 9 and won the point 3-1. The last master came back to face me again and after two slopped ball runouts I was down 0-2 again. Shaking my head I was about to feign defeat and go to the next set but decided to play my game and get through the lucky rolls he got. Which paid off with me getting him 3-2 when all was done and taking the tourney.
I just could not get over the fact that basically the whole tourney I was fighting from behind. Any of you have this happen before? Playing from behind in most of your matches? I was emotionally drained last night when I got home for sure.

Barbara
03-16-2004, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Any of you have this happen before? Playing from behind in most of your matches? I was emotionally drained last night when I got home for sure. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, it's odd that I would be ahead in most of my matches. I'm always coming up from behind. It seems I can't "get started" until I've let my opponent get 4 games on me (in a race to 7).

Barbara

But what do I know?... I'm just some broad...

Cueless Joey
03-16-2004, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Any of you have this happen before? Playing from behind in most of your matches? I was emotionally drained last night when I got home for sure. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, it's odd that I would be ahead in most of my matches. I'm always coming up from behind. It seems I can't "get started" until I've let my opponent get 4 games on me (in a race to 7).

Barbara

But what do I know?... I'm just some broad... <hr /></blockquote>
Rocky II wouldn't have been exciting if Rocky weren't so behind. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
03-16-2004, 03:40 PM
CJ,

One tournament I will never forget up in Providence, RI at Snookers. On Saturday, I was down 6-2 against Liz Bernier (I think) and came back to beat her 7-6. Then I won my second match, then I played Neslie O'Hare and was down 6-2 again. Came back to beat her 7-6. My matches were over for the day.

On Sunday I had to face Karen Corr and we traded the first 6 games, 3-3. She sensed she wasn't shaking me so easily so she froze me in my chair the rest of the match with safeties. I learned a few new ones that day.

But to top things off, I was talking with my hubby on Saturday night and leading him on with "I was down 6-2 to so-an-so" and waiting to hear his groan only to come back and say, "and I won on the hill". He was so proud of me that he drove 300 miles Sunday morning to catch my match with Karen. Boy did he surprise the bejeebers outta me!!

Barbara

But what do I know?... I'm just some broad...

Cueless Joey
03-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Damn, you have the eye of the tiger.
I'm not much of a comebacker.

tateuts
03-16-2004, 04:22 PM
You should feel fortunate that you can function in these pressure situations.

Lately I've been focusing more on the same idea. I figure if I can just "play my game" in pressure situations, and avoid the typical nervous mistakes, that's where I can make the largest competitive gains right now. So, I'm entering more tournaments and matching up more frequently.

Here's a pretty good article that I read again and again about athletic performance under pressure.

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/under_pressure.htm

He's saying: you create your own pressure, it's not the situation. Just do your job. Nothing else is needed for you to perform your best.

I am trying to train myself to believe that "what I have is enough, just let it happen".

Chris

tateuts
03-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Popcorn had the best post yet on the subject. I liked it so much I came back to read it again and it just disappeared. Too bad, it was a good one.

Chris

UWPoolGod
03-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Weird you're right. Man I guess this was a controversial subject. LOL

Barbara
03-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Popcorn's post was great! He quoted another great player and said, "Play as if you've got nowhere else you have to be." Or something like that.

But it's true. In my one great tournament, I tortured my opponents because the pressure was on them, not me, to win. But I also played every shot as if I had nothing left. That will scare your opponent. Especially when you don't acknowledge them much when you're playing.

And having all the confidence you can have in YOUR game while you're at the table just helps that much more.

Barbara

But what do I know?... I'm just [i]some broad[/]...

SPetty
03-16-2004, 07:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Popcorn had the best post ... and it just disappeared. <hr /></blockquote>Dammit Popcorn! Stop doing that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Harold Acosta
03-16-2004, 07:33 PM
A very good friend of mine, about 5 years ago, won the Puerto Rico National 8 Ball tournament coming from behind on almost all his matches, races to 5. On most of them he was 3 or 2 matches behind from the start, and at one time before the semi-finals he was 4 games behind.

I was monitoring (keeping written track) all his games and just telling him to stay calm and focused. When he finally won the tournament, he had played the last five rounds coming from behind. He was super exhausted and didn't know why until I told him what happened. Needless to say, I drove the New Puerto Rican Champ 2 1/2 hours back home. We arrived at about 4 in the morning (Sunday). I saw him again 2 days later. He said he had slept the remaining Sunday and the entire day on Monday. He won $1,500 for his efforts.

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Popcorn
03-16-2004, 07:34 PM
It thought it sounded pompous so I deleted it. Plus I quoted someone, and I don't think that is a good idea sometimes to use peoples names.