PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 length shot problems

bigalerickson
03-16-2004, 04:45 PM
The cue 3/4 the way down the table, and the ob somewhere around halfway between the two, I am extremely consistently missing the shot from 1/2 to 1 inch.

Practicing this last night, I just set up the same shot, and the best I could get at a slow speed was 5 out of 10 in clean.

I'm sure a video of my body mechanics would help the diagnosis,and everyone I have asked to watch and comment has said "looks good from up here"

I'm hoping its some stupid adjustment I'm missing, maybe some of you might be able to help me out.

Thanks,

Alex

tateuts
03-16-2004, 05:24 PM
My suggestion would be to get a more solid set-up over the shot while still allowing a good view for aiming. I would suggest:

1) visualize the cue ball/ shot/ pocket angle while standing up.

2) Smoothly Step forward into the shooting position (instead of getting down and taking a step back).

3) These long shots are easier for me if I don't move my head too far forward - that way I can see more of the cue which helps me aim. So, my weight is evenly centered over both feet and my head is back.

4) Keep your head and body (except your arm) as still as possible while you aim and shoot.

I suspect upper body lifting or sway and unintentional head movement.

Chris

1Time
03-17-2004, 12:20 AM
Leveling your cue a little more when practicing this shot may help. Also, try shooting the shot between 3 to 6 times only and then run off about twice as many balls in a variety of other shots before practicing the shot again. Repeat this for 20 to 30 minutes and then try it all again another day. Just give it some time and you'll get it right.

smoothstroke
03-17-2004, 08:09 AM
Could be a set up breakdown, I have this creep into my game from time to time.
I correct this by , as I am standing over the shot i hook my thumb in my waist band, as I approach my set up my stick is directly in place, this keeps my right hand from moving to the right.This bring me back in line real quick.

Hope this helps.

rocky
03-17-2004, 08:44 AM
I read an article in a an old BD article the other day that might help. The gentlemen was talking about moving your eyes back and forth between the cue ball and the object ball. He said that 50% of the time when he missed, his eyes were focused somewhere between the two, leaving the object ball in a blure.......I have found myself doing this many times since I read the article.

KGeeED
03-17-2004, 09:10 AM
Get the Don Feeney tapes. I just got done watching them and now realise why I am missing some shots.

Watching these tapes gave me the information and reinforcement that my aim was not at fault. There are too many factors to consider and it is impossible to give all the details in this post. There is a lot of great useful and helpful in these tapes. The only bad fault about these tapes is after watching them you wonder how you are able to make a ball at all with all the factors involved. After shooting in many balls I guess we are just able to adjust let the shot make the shot.