PDA

View Full Version : Bought The Hustler on DVD this past weekend

UWPoolGod
03-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Always a classic movie. But I did enjoy all of the extra info/interviews and whatnot that were there as well. Pretty cool. Man I'd hate to get my thumbs broken...

bluey2king
03-16-2004, 08:21 PM
I rented it a couple of weeks ago!! I was really struck by the acting!! Paul Newman, Gleason, Scott, and the unsung one I think was the girl. I don't know her name but I thought she was excellent!! Her drunk acting was Outstanding IMHO. I rented it with the Color of Money and watched them back to back! This really gave me a feel for Newman's acting He did a Great job of picking up Fast Eddie and made him real. Gleason was Great too did you notice how he was so subduded Owned by George C. Scott? How about the scene where he washes up and comes out and powders up...and kicks Fast Eddie's Ass!!!....Ahhh they don't make them like that any more!!

1Time
03-16-2004, 11:38 PM
What a classic. The thumbs breaking scene gets me every time. I'm buying this DVD.

AnimalChin
03-17-2004, 12:10 AM
Not only is this the best pool movie ever made, it's one of the best movies ever made, period. It blows Color Of Money out of the water, and many people think Newman's Oscar for that was really payback for getting snubbed on this one. Everyone on this board should see it at least once. Then they'll understand why some of us hate Pool Hall Junkies with such a passion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Everyone in the movie is just excellent, but as noted, Piper Laurie (the girl) really knocked it out of the park. You might also know her as the creepy mom in 'Carrie'. Also look for Willie Mosconi, who is the Willie that holds the stake money in the first game between Fats and Eddie. Lots of classic lines in this one, but my favorite is.."You ever get that feeling, fat man? Like you can't miss? This table's mine, man. I own it!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

boalt06
03-17-2004, 01:03 AM
I completely agreed with everything you said...except for one point. And in regards to that one trivial point, I must respectfully disagree: Stickmen, not pool hall junkies, is the worst pool movie ever...in my humble opinion.

ajrack
03-17-2004, 02:11 AM
Worse pool movie ever...gotta be the movie where Brigett Neilson (Stalones' Ex) played a pool hustler in Italy...really BAD!!!

woody_968
03-17-2004, 08:13 AM
This is a great movie! My wife gave me the Hustler and the Color of Money on DVD last Christmas. She also got me the COM soundtrack /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rocky
03-17-2004, 08:48 AM
I didnt care much for the Hustler, I thought that it was way over acted, and to be honest boring. I thought that the coor of money was alot better billiards movie. I saw that Pool Hall Junkies was maid by a Newman any relation to Paul?

KGeeED
03-17-2004, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> I rented it a couple of weeks ago!! I was really struck by the acting!! Paul Newman, Gleason, Scott, and the unsung one I think was the girl. I don't know her name but I thought she was excellent!! Her drunk acting was Outstanding IMHO. I rented it with the Color of Money and watched them back to back! This really gave me a feel for Newman's acting He did a Great job of picking up Fast Eddie and made him real. Gleason was Great too did you notice how he was so subduded Owned by George C. Scott? How about the scene where he washes up and comes out and powders up...and kicks Fast Eddie's Ass!!!....Ahhh they don't make them like that any more!! <hr /></blockquote>

The girl is Piper Laurie.

It is a great movie. Thanks for the review. I need to get it now. I never thought about getting the DVD because I taped it a few years ago from AMC. The behind the scenes stuff would be worth it. Is it in wide screen format? I don't remember if the original was wide screen or 4\3 format. When they do the panning to make it fit the 4/3 format of a tv a lot of good stuff is lost.

It was by accident the first time I seen the movie. When the movie came out the theaters would show double features and this was not the movie we were going to see. The opening scene where Fast Eddie hustled the bar owner got me hooked on pool. I have been indebted to this film ever since.

Fred Agnir
03-17-2004, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> and the unsung one I think was the girl. I don't know her name but I thought she was excellent!! <hr /></blockquote>Piper Laurie. I wanted to name my first daughter after her, but my wife wouldn't have it.

Fred

#### leonard
03-17-2004, 09:45 AM
I loveeed Tommy Cosmo, the old guy racking the balls. One of Pooldoms Great CharActors.####

Leviathan
03-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Piper Laurie was great! And I fall in love with Janelle (Fast Eddie's girlfriend, played by Helen Shaver) every time I see Color of Money. She's a real person, three-dimensional, a grownup individual. I'd enjoy seeing San Juan with her.

AS

daviddjmp
03-17-2004, 10:06 AM
I have had both of these for a while. Hustler is a great film, not just a great pool movie. Jackie Gleason was an accomplished player and made all of his own shots in that movie. Newman's tough shots were made my Mosconi, who played in the film as well and was the consultant on the set. If it wasn't for West Side Story released the same year, the Hustler would have won best picture as well.

UWPoolGod
03-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Yeah it was pretty cool watching the extras and realizing it was Mosconi picking up the cash during their sessions. Its the little things that make the movies.

So did she actually sleep with George C Scott before killing herself? Kind of implied, but not really seen. Especially in those days.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-17-2004, 10:41 AM
Todd,
I am pretty sure NO Sleeping was done. YES, the implied action of intercourse,I understood was one of the many reasons for the suicide.

George C. Scott was a great actor and had a great part in this movie. At the end when he yelled "you owe me money" is IMO a classic line..

03-17-2004, 10:41 AM

daviddjmp
03-17-2004, 10:59 AM
She really pegs Burt Gordon when he says all he cares about is the money, She adds "and the aristocratic pleasure of watching him fall apart" Then Burt lifts her up and kisses her. Unfortunately, she cannot resist him and goes in and asks him for a drink. The next scene she appears going into the bathroom of his hotel room in her nightgown. They definitely made it.

Heavy stuff, great acting. They just don't make them like this anymore-

UWPoolGod
03-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Yeah and before the "You owe me money"...Fats saying "I'm through Eddie, I can't beat you." Utter defeat. I have felt this way one time playing a good player BCA 8ball. Hekept making a ball on the break and running out, or playing safe and running out. I racked about 18 straight and then gave up. This is a player I do beat a lot of the time. But that night there was no stopping him.

Frank_Glenn
03-17-2004, 04:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> I didnt care much for the Hustler, I thought that it was way over acted, and to be honest boring. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, there were parts that were boring, like Fast Eddy and his girl friend episodes. But, IMO, they were necessary to depict the hard life of a road hustler and her loss was a vital part of the movie. Don't mean to sound like a movie critic, but I think the acting was one of the best parts of the movie. <hr /></blockquote>

That's interesting, because it was not a vital part of the book. In fact, the Sarah character was not in the book at all. The book is a much better story, IMO. TCOM is also different, for instance the Vincent character is not in the book.

Brian in VA
03-18-2004, 12:26 PM
I think you're wrong, Frank. I believe the Sarah character is in the book. I distinctly remember the description of her limp and of holding Fast Eddie's sleeve, not his arm or hand when they walked. I could be wrong.

Brian in VA

JMD in VA
03-18-2004, 10:19 PM
The ersion I read in one of Robert Byrne's books was just about the Hustler ( I think his name was "Red"?) playing Fats and beating him, then getting picked up in the end by Fats and some guys in a car. That I believe is the version that was published in Playboy.

JMD in VA

TwizteD
03-18-2004, 11:40 PM
i got all 4 movies on dvd...i loved the hustler...but i dont care what any 1 says i still think PHJ is a good movie because of its comedy and because its a new geneeration pool movie...it sux because i bought the stickmen movie off a australian site because it was the only place i thought i could get it so it dont work on the american dvd players...so i gotta wait 2 get a dvd drive in my computer 2 watch it

JPB
03-18-2004, 11:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> I didnt care much for the Hustler, I thought that it was way over acted, and to be honest boring. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, there were parts that were boring, like Fast Eddy and his girl friend episodes. But, IMO, they were necessary to depict the hard life of a road hustler and her loss was a vital part of the movie. Don't mean to sound like a movie critic, but I think the acting was one of the best parts of the movie. <hr /></blockquote>

You have it backwards. The life of a road hustler was used as a device for the main part of the story. Which had a lot (but not everything) to do with the girlfriend and nothing to do with pool.

As to overacting, I thought the weakest performance was Paul Newman's, but I am not saying he was bad. He just wasn't as good as the other 3 main actors. Piper Laurie was great. Scott was great. Gleason was great. Newman was good.