PDA

View Full Version : A thread about Wraps

TheFish
03-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Ok, so we all kno there are stacked, lizard, leather, linen and a few variations in between.

Here is my question, which is the nicst feeling. I know its subjective, but for the life of me, as pretty as a lizard wrap is..i cant imagine how it would feel?

I am in Asia in a land where they do not have any cue makers, and i need to send my cue in to get it rewrapped but no idea what i want. I haev a preadator with a nice smooth black leather wrap, and that feels good, but for this cue, it would go well with a rich dark brown lizard wrap..so was thinking of getting that.

But how do they feel? is it smooth? How is the grip? i personally dun like line wraps unless its very very smooth and fine.

I appreciate the help.

How does stacked leather feel? Does it look as nice as elather?

tateuts
03-17-2004, 12:08 AM
OK - I'll try this one since nobody else volunteered.

I like leather better than linen. Once you get used to the grip leather provides, linen feels slippery by comparison.

There are two basic main choices in solid leather wraps, smooth leather and pigskin leather. These usually run about $100 installed, more for famous guys.

Smooth leather -- has a polished shine and feels a lot like a wrapless cue, but of course the leather absorbs moisture. This type of leather is slick. Sometimes it is textured which I do not recommend getting - it wears unevenly and the feel of the ridges may bother some.

Pigskin leather -- Has a dull, porous finish (from the hair holes)like a pebble finish and feels softer to the touch. This is my favorite type.

Stack leather - about $150 installed by Tiger products, Burbank. This is a very slick leather with thin strands wrapped around the handle, burnished perfectly flat. Many color combinations available. At first it feels like a wrapless cue, then the coating wears off and it feels like slick smooth leather. Tiger service is excellent - they will get the cue done and back to you the same day pretty much.

Lizard - is expensive, about $250 installed, more by the guys famous for it like Mottey. I would contact Keith Josey for lizard - he does a great job. It feels different than leather. I think people who get lizard get hooked on it. I like lizard a lot, and I'm hooked on it. The lizard is usually large ringtail lizards. You can feel the grain/rings but not a lot. Lizard wrap is thin and hard. Mainly, it looks really cool.

There you have it.

Chris

Leviathan
03-17-2004, 07:42 AM
Chris: Now that you've given Fish a full, useful answer, I feel free to veer off the subject. I prefer wrappless cues. I like to hold my cue very loosely. I can hold a wrappless cue very loosely without getting any feeling of slippage, but I have to hold cues with linen or leather wraps a little more firmly to get a grip that feels secure. It's as if the smooth wood forms a better seal with the skin of my hand. Am I alone in this, or do other players like wrappless cues for this reason?

AS

piglit
03-17-2004, 08:00 AM
I don't like wraps either!

-pige

KGeeED
03-17-2004, 08:25 AM
I have cues with leather, linen, lizard and have one on order for a stacked wrap. I like the feel of lizard because of the texture changes. It feels smooth in the middle of the wrap and gets a little more coarse towards the back and front of the wrap. This give me the feel of where my hand is on the wrap. It does make the cue a little more fancier looking because of this.

The leather and lizard is very thin and does not add much damping effect to the hit of the cue. Both are easier to clean than the linen. They both slip a little more than no wrap but not as much as linen. Slip the cue thru your grip from the leather to the wood and you can feel this. If you like your leather you will also like the lizard.

One thing to consider is that the weight and balance of the cue may change with a different type wrap. I am not sure if this matters but may also be something to consider.

tateuts
03-17-2004, 08:37 AM
I like wrapless too, especially with a nice clear coat. It's a good grip. Unfortunately you have to buy the cue that way

Leather is a good in-between choice. People who play for a long time with linen tend to slide their hand into position when stroking up. Leather lets you do this but wrapless doesn't work well unless the finish is worn off the handle, in which case the cue becomes too slippery anyway.

I think some of the backlash against linen is the type of linen being used these days and the fact that players are using more of a tight grip the old three finger grip. Some of the old linen wraps were really nice and soft - they don't seem to make them like that anymore. My old Joss and Schon cues had that soft cortland and it's a far cry from the fish line they're using these days.

Chris

tateuts
03-17-2004, 08:48 AM
Here a pretty good picture of a lizard wrap. This is what you want - a fine grain on the lizard. These wraps feel fine, slick but with a texture.

http://arnotq.com/pages/652/652.html

They feel better once they're worn in a little.

Chris

tateuts
03-17-2004, 12:02 PM
I didn't see your post while I was working on mine - we virtually made the same points and I agree with what you wrote about lizard and leather 100%.

Chis

SpiderMan
03-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Of the options you mentioned, the stack wrap is probably the smoothest surface. The finish tends to cling to your hand more than ordinary leather, and much more than linen. You can grip very light, ie no pressure at all, and the stick will still move with your hand and not slip.

One thing you didn't mention was cork wrap. I once played with a cue that had a cork wrap, and it felt very good to me. I normally play with no wrap, and dislike linen because of it's slipperiness.

SpiderMan

TheFish
03-17-2004, 07:45 PM
arghhh.i am tempetd by both the stack and the lizard wrap.
a nice brown lizard wrap like the one i see on mottey cues on their site will look awesome on my cue..but so would a nice stack wrap.

the only problem i have with stack is durability. has stack wraps been around for long? how do thjey fair after beign used for a long time. I kno the shine comes off..but can it be rebuffed without risking the "strap" from breaking..line some linen wraps do?

a stack wrap is 150..a lizard wrap is200 or so

hrmmmmmmm

dilemmas dilemmas

SpiderMan
03-18-2004, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TheFish:</font><hr> arghhh.i am tempetd by both the stack and the lizard wrap.
a nice brown lizard wrap like the one i see on mottey cues on their site will look awesome on my cue..but so would a nice stack wrap.

the only problem i have with stack is durability. has stack wraps been around for long? how do thjey fair after beign used for a long time. I kno the shine comes off..but can it be rebuffed without risking the "strap" from breaking..line some linen wraps do?

a stack wrap is 150..a lizard wrap is200 or so

hrmmmmmmm

dilemmas dilemmas <hr /></blockquote>

After being layered onto the butt, the stack wrap is "taller" than the groove into which it is installed. The finishing consists of trimming the leather down flush with the butt, sanding it smooth, and buffing the surface with what looks and feels to be wax. That final treatment, not too unlike trimming and burnishing a cue tip, gives it the shiny yet "grippy" surface. I see no reason to believe that the finish could not be re-applied periodically. Maybe someone who has refinished stack wraps will chime in with an answer.

My gut feel is that, assuming refinish is practical, the stack wrap will outlast the lizard if you play a lot. Once that scaly leather suffers wear, or starts to have the scales lift in some areas while flattening in others, I would expect it to be hard to return it to original appearance and feel. That's certainly the case with lizard boots and belts.

On the other had, if the cue is more for display than play, just get what looks best on it.

SpiderMan