PDA

View Full Version : cues for (small) women

Jea
03-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Hello,
Im only 4,9 ft in length and most of the cues I tested were too long and heavy for me.
Does anybody knows where I can get a shorter and lighter cue? May I can get a custom cue? Or a special women cue?
Any tips are highly appreciated.
thanks in advance!

Wally_in_Cincy
03-17-2004, 12:29 PM
you can get a custom cue made any length you want.

I knew a gal your size who played. With a 58" cue she was holding it in front of the wrap. That's not good.

Scott Lee
03-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Jea...As an instructor, I don't believe that you need a shorter length cue. I work with children as young as 6, and they are using regular length cues. Weight is another thing. Cue weight is a subjective thing, and you would likely be quite comfortable with a 16 or17 ounce cue. If you absolutely feel that you need a shorter cue, Stealth Cues carries short-length, normal weighted 1-piece cues.

Scott Lee

Wally_in_Cincy
03-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Stealth makes a 52" cue

SpiderMan
03-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Jea,

I'm not sure that a lighter cue will make the most sense for you. Cue weight is somewhat personal preference, but it is generally confined to a pretty narrow range (centered around 18 or 19 ounces) because it's the cue mass interacting with the cue-ball mass that must feel right. The weight/size of the person stroking the cue is probably not such a factor. 150-lb men and 300-lb men don't use cues in proportion to their differences in mass.

Length may be another matter entirely. You might want a slightly shorter cue in order to avoid gripping it too near the joint. It could be that the cues you tried felt butt-heavy because you had to grip them far forward.

Is table height an issue? Can you hold and stroke the cue in a normal stance (vertical forearm, parallel upper arm) without the cue dragging on the rail?

SpiderMan

Jea
03-17-2004, 01:17 PM
thanks for your fast response.
Maybe I have to go in more details to explain my "problem".

When I play with a regular cue I feel that the balance point of the cue is too much at the end of the cue and therefore the cue tends to "lift" up at the tip.
At the moment, to play somewhat comfortable I held a regular cue app. 20-30 inches away from the end.

I know that with making a "bridge" I can circumvent this motion, but unfortunately Im not able to make a bridge because Im physically handicapped to do so.

jea

Hello Spiderman,
you are right. Table height is an additional problem.
jea

Frank_Glenn
03-17-2004, 04:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Stealth makes a 52" cue <hr /></blockquote>
So does Player.
http://www.michaeljscues.com/players_youth_cues.htm
I have never dealt with this particular dealer, so YMMV

Leviathan
03-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Hi, Jea. Chris Klindt (Klick Custom Cues, of Lawrence, KS) makes custom cues in short lengths.

His address is http://www.geocities.com/klickcue/index.html .

You can see one of his 50-inch cues at http://www.geocities.com/klickcue/austin_cue.html .

Hope this is of interest.

AS

pooltchr
03-18-2004, 06:49 AM
Scott,
I remember seeing somewhere that one of the manufacturers, and I thought it was Stealth but could be wrong, has come out with a line of ladies cues. Full length but a slightly thinner in the grip area, designed for smaller hands.
I agree full length is the way to go, but something like this might be more comfortable, especially if it's well balanced.
Just a thought.

BooBoo
03-18-2004, 08:33 AM
My wife is also 4'9" and the main problem she has is reaching the shot comfortably. She plays on the bar boxes and we also have a 9 foot table at home. So reach is sometimes a problem. You may think you need a shorter cue, but what you should do is find the right cue for you. She just got a Joss cue at 19oz and 13mm for her playing cue. The balance was perfect and the butt is a little narrower than the McDermott she was using. So, just keep all your options open. Good luck.

Chris Cass
03-18-2004, 08:49 AM
Hi Jea,

I don't think the length should matter all that much. However there are cues that you can by custom built. You might want to check into a stainless steel joint for a more forward balanced cue. If your hands are small I would suggest a 1 1/4" butt plate just above the rubber bumper peice.

My son shoots with a old sl-10 Schon cue. It's 58" and has the 1 1/4" butt end and with SS joint. His bridge is about 10" from his hand to the tip of the cue. He's managed to overcome height and balance. I think you can do the same as you are taller. It's nice to be 6' but everything has it's drawbacks. The top players in the country are under 6' so, there's great hope for you. Don't get discuraged about the height thing.

If you do decide to go with a smaller cue, I suggest nothing under 57".

Regards,

C.C.~~welcome aboard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif