PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a shaft sealer?

stickman
03-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Personally, I use a shaft sealer. I like the protection from moisture, body oils, chalk, and other contaminates. With a clean shaft, I use a small rag with a small amount of sealer and give the shaft one thin coat. It drys in minutes, and I light sand it with 5 micron burnishing film. My shaft is as slick as glass. Another post regarding shaft cleaners, made me think about it. My shaft never gets dirty. I use a micro-fiber towel, and occasionally burnish with the 5 micron, if I need to. I use to use a bare shaft and kept it burnished to a high lustre, but was continually having to clean my shaft. Who else likes a sealed shaft?

Popcorn
03-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Do you use a sanding sealer?

spanky
03-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Stick, where do you get the sealer and what is it called.
Also where do you get the 5 micron burnishing film ?
I just got my new custom break cue (Olney) and want to keep the shaft looking like new.

thanx.

stickman
03-17-2004, 03:21 PM
I use the stuff from Chris Hightower (Cue Man Billiards Products) Cuesmith.com The directions say: After cleaning and sanding with 600 grit (I lightly use 1000, 2000, then 5 micron for a fine finish) run a medium coat of seal on the shaft while spinning. (I spin by hand and apply one thin coat, with a very small amount on a rag) Allow several seconds to dry and sand off surface with 600 grit (again I use finer) and then apply Cue Man Cue Wax for a silky smooth feel. I love it. I don't use the wax on my cue, I used to, but thought it attracted gunk to my shaft.

stickman
03-17-2004, 03:29 PM
I buy my shaft sealer from cuesmith.com. A friend gave me a sheet of the film. I cut it in 1/4 sheets and it has lasted me a long time. It can be washed. He buys it in a big package very reasonably. I will find out where he got it. I will be needing to buy some more soon.

Jim

Troy
03-17-2004, 05:11 PM
I use a Sanding Sealer if requested by a customer. I will also wax a shaft if requested.
My personal shafts however are un-sealed and un-waxed 'cuz I don't like the feel of a sealer and I think wax adds to a sticky feeling. I just burnish my shafts with a piece of un-dyed leather while spinning the shaft in the lathe.

Troy

stickman
03-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Are you kidding? I thought this was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Even better than layered tips. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
03-18-2004, 03:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I use the stuff from Chris Hightower (Cue Man Billiards Products) Cuesmith.com The directions say: After cleaning and sanding with 600 grit (I lightly use 1000, 2000, then 5 micron for a fine finish) run a medium coat of seal on the shaft while spinning. (I spin by hand and apply one thin coat, with a very small amount on a rag) Allow several seconds to dry and sand off surface with 600 grit (again I use finer) and then apply Cue Man Cue Wax for a silky smooth feel. I love it. I don't use the wax on my cue, I used to, but thought it attracted gunk to my shaft. <hr /></blockquote>

Stick,

You're confusing me now!

First you said you follow the sealer with wax for a "silky smooth feel", then you said you don't use wax because it attracts gunk. Do you use wax?

I'm sure Sid is following this thread closely, as he's started several threads about sealers and never felt like he had the answer.

SpiderMan

stickman
03-18-2004, 04:55 PM
The instructions say to finish with wax. I tried it, but decided I didn't like the wax. In fact I tried waxing my cues before I ever started using a sealer. The wax felt good initially, but I felt like more contaminates were attracted to my shaft as a result of the wax.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-19-2004, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> You're confusing me now!

<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> ... <font color="red">The directions say: </font color> After cleaning and sanding with 600 grit (I lightly use 1000, 2000, then 5 micron for a fine finish) run a medium coat of seal on the shaft while spinning. (I spin by hand and apply one thin coat, with a very small amount on a rag) Allow several seconds to dry and sand off surface with 600 grit (again I use finer) and <font color="red"> then apply Cue Man Cue Wax for a silky smooth feel. </font color> I love it.

<font color="green">stickman say: </font color>

<font color="blue"> I don't use the wax on my cue, I used to, but thought it attracted gunk to my shaft.</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

stickman uses the sealer but not the wax.

dam you guys are lucky to have me around to clarify these things /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The guy that used to do my tips used a mixture of carnauba and something else (his own special blend). It felt good at first but also seemed to attract grunge.

stickman do you have a brand name for this sealer stuff?

stickman
03-19-2004, 08:35 AM
Cue Man Billiards Products shaft sealer. $10-8oz $18-Pint $35-Quart. I'm quessing that someone else makes it, and has it put in his containers. 8oz will last a long time. I have a large pkg. of 3x3 4ply wound dressing pads. I use those to apply the sealer. I put a pad over the top of the bottle and tip a small amount on the pad. I spin the shaft by hand and put just enough on to tell it, giving it a thin even coat. You have to work fast, it is thin and dries fast. Within a minute it is dry and you can sand it smooth. (not that it doesn't look smooth to begin with)

I still haven't caught my friend to findout where he buys his burnishing film, but I will. I searched the net and didn't find it for myself. Micro-mesh looks like it would work for me, but I think is higher. My friend only has a cell phone and I don't have his number. He is seldom at home when he isn't working, and I hate to call him at work.

Jim