PDA

View Full Version : Predator shaft question

silver2k
03-17-2004, 04:45 PM
I plan on getting a predator shaft for my cue.

I have already decided this after playing with a friends shaft. I did not seem to need to get too adjusted to it, I wasn't missing balls like crazy. I also kind of liked the feel.

My question is this. Should I get the 314, or the Z? If I get the 314 I am going to get it turned down to 12.3mm. The cost will be about the same after they are each fitted to my cue(actually the Z will be $15 cheaper.)

I am a C+/B player, but I play on very slow tables(I have played on simonis only a handful of times, yes I love it, but nobody around here has it, so I have to deal.) I am talking SLOW cloth usually. I need to put a lot of spin on the ball to get leave. I don't think the size of the shaft will bother me much because I use a closed bridge and have smaller hands, so it actually might help. Will the Z shaft be able to put more spin on the ball than the turned down 314? or does it only have less deflection?

Please don't say predator sucks or go with this, I am just looking for an opinion on which one. I have already shot with the turned down 314 and I actually liked it.

Thanks!

chinese_bill
03-17-2004, 10:36 PM
My understanding of the Z shaft is that it is only available in the Uni-loc joint and it doesnt have the full pro-taper. I have a 314 but havent hit with the z yet. I like the idea of the smaller dia. shaft, but the Uni-loc wont fit my current cue, the 1998 predator cue.

silver2k
03-17-2004, 11:32 PM
The guy at seyberts can change out the joint to make it fit. The total would be the same(actually less) than a predator 314 shaft fitted to my wood joint and turned down to 12.3mm.

Cueless Joey
03-18-2004, 02:53 AM
I really have no idea how any pool player can play with Z shaft's taper.

Predator314
03-18-2004, 09:16 AM
I personally would go with the 314 shaft and have it turned down. I don't like the Z shaft's taper. Plus the Z shaft costs a little more.

Nick B
03-18-2004, 10:39 AM
I've tried the "Z". It's has a classic taper. Therefore if you play with a tight closed bridge you might have to open up a little. It spins the ball great and squirts less than the 314. Don't spin down a 314 or you'll regret it.

Remember the ferrule as well as the top of shaft are hollow. Your just looking for pain. In fact warrenty is voided at 12.25mm.
web page (http://www.predatorcues.com/english/warranty.htm)

Wait to try a "Z"...then deside.

Nick

tateuts
03-18-2004, 12:58 PM
I too would agree to get the 314 and not to get it turned down too far. The Z is turned down so far because of the severe taper. The shaft is actually fatter.

I wouldn't change the taper of the shaft if you value the performance, and i wouldn't go below 12.5 mm at the tip (the ferrule is tapered too!). It doesn't take long to get used to a slightly fatter shaft. I think the more you improve, the more you'll favor the fatter tip. Most of the better players I know play somewhere between a 12.5 and a 13mm shaft.

However, as a footnote, a player in our room has one turned down to about 12 mm. I tried it and it plays fine - no problems either.

Chris

ryushen21
03-18-2004, 09:34 PM
This thread actually brings up a question of my own. I wanna have my 314 turned down to 12.75. Does that mean i have to send it in to predator to have it done or are there people who are certified to work on predator shafts that can do the whole job?

miko
03-19-2004, 03:55 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the 314 shaft already is 12.75 mm in diameter

ryushen21
03-19-2004, 04:10 AM
i'm not sure. from what i understand, mine is a 13mm. i'll have SpiderMan check it out when i send it to him for my next tip.

tateuts
03-19-2004, 05:24 PM
The tip should be 12.75 but because of the way it's tapered the shaft is fatter. A good cue guy can take it down a little for you. It's actually better to have someone local do it because he can take it down a little bit at a time and you can see how you like it. I would just recommend keeping the same degree of taper if you turn it down.

Chris

rocky
03-22-2004, 01:57 PM
The prdator 314 is 12.75 in diam. you can have it turned down to 13.25 before you void your warranty! I wouldn't suggest going below 12.5 like earlier stated and get a pro to do it because there is a good chance that someone will ruin your ferrul while taking it down that much. The Z shaft is fatter????????? all predator shafts are the same at the base the taper is 11.75 at the ferrule, what do you mean by fatter? The break shaft has kind of a unique taper to it could that have been what you were talking about?

tateuts
03-22-2004, 03:24 PM
I wasn't talking about the "Z" - what I said was the actual shaft is fatter than the 12.75 mm tip. The shaft feels like a 13mm to me - but I haven't measured one. I haven't tried the Z.

Chris